What games are you playing now?

Was that a rhetorical question ?

It has been known to happen. I don't think I can match Wolfgrimdark, but I've logged over 1000 hours in Skyrim and that doesn't count the hours when I would play offline because I didn't want a patch. I always roleplay in these games, so I'm a high elf who wants to seperate himself from the Thalmor infestation and I fight them anywhere and everywhere I can. I've got some mods that improve the Thalmor threat and I also have the Vilja mod installed, which takes a long time to complete. I'm an archer with destruction magic as a backup, which works well. Vilja is my healer/melee character and I rotate the vanilla followers in and out. I'll have a thief companion eventually, which is a mod called Arissa. I've played a little bit with her but not enough to form an opinion. You meet her when she robs you :)

I'm doing my best to finish KotOR 2 at the moment. About 32 hours into it and I just landed on the droid planet.

It was great at first, but in the last 10 hours or so it has definitely started to drag. I'm hearing ill omens from my stomach from all the pretention with the endless sound-profound-whilst-not-saying-anything lines - and I just want it over with, more or less. If I have to hear one more companion talk about a sound "at the edge of hearing" - I'll go insane and perhaps, after calming down, write a letter to Avellone about how not to make an impression of profundity. Well, he clearly already knows about that - so maybe not.

Still, it's the first time I've stuck with it this long, so I think I'll actually finish it.

I love some of the added mechanics and powers. Also, I have to give Obsidian credit for the rather well-balanced puzzles and the great implementation of terminals and stuff like that. They're really good at upping the gameplay - just like they did with New Vegas.

Such a shame most of the planets have been dull and dreadfully stale in terms of atmosphere. Telos and Nar Shaddaa were particularly dreary in typical Obsidian fashion. I never thought I'd say this, but SWtOR has a much more vibrant and interesting version of Nar Shaddaa.

But I quite liked Dantooine and Korriban - so it's not all bad.

But I have to say I found the first KotOR much better when it comes to atmosphere and engaging locations. I also prefer its romantic fantasy writing to this.

Anyway, I seem to have done all the other planets according to my map. Does anyone know how big this droid planet is - and if I'm close to the end?

But I have to say I found the first KotOR much better when it comes to atmosphere and engaging locations.

You mean the tiny (thanks to the memory limitations of the original Xbox) levels where the vast and deadly desert of Tatooine was the size of a picnic blanket? ;)
Seriously, KotOR was horrible in the level/world department in my opinion due to the very small locations. It didn't manage to capture Star Wars' sense of epicness at all.
As much as it hurts, I guess it is true that the best representations of the Star Wars world were so far found in the MMOs, Star Wars Galaxies (all of the planets were real pieces of art in that one) and Star Wars The Old Republic (not as good as SWG but better than the KotORs for sure).

You mean the tiny (thanks to the memory limitations of the original Xbox) levels where the vast and deadly desert of Tatooine was the size of a picnic blanket? ;)
Seriously, KotOR was horrible in the level/world department in my opinion due to the very small locations. It didn't manage to capture Star Wars' sense of epicness at all.
As much as it hurts, I guess it is true that the best representations of the Star Wars world were so far found in the MMOs, Star Wars Galaxies (all of the planets were real pieces of art in that one) and Star Wars The Old Republic (not as good as SWG but better than the KotORs for sure).

I can't really agree and I think the levels are reasonably large given the scope of gameplay and what you're doing.

Having Tatooine be anything like a huge desert planet would completely kill my interest in playing the game. Much like what happens when I play SWtOR on that planet. Talk about zzzzzz.

But I was comparing KotOR to KotOR 2 - and the sequel has the same scope when it comes to the levels.

I hate huge empty worlds and pointless traveling around - like you'll find in SWtOR - where ~80-90% of the time it takes to do a quest is about traveling back and forth from the quest giver or trying to avoid endless rows of brainless enemies.

But to each his own, obviously.

I appreciate large levels in MMOs when it's done right - which it's not in SWtOR. SWG was a huge hollow sandbox with great crafting and almost nothing else.

Size is nothing without unique content and interesting exploration. Empty landscapes with a handful of textures applied to the ground mesh is not my idea of a compelling world.

If you want huge empty pointlessness - I can recommend Eve Online - or maybe even good old Frontier? Should be right up your alley ;)

You guys really need to be patients at some mental hospital for hopeless cases ;)

I guess that's what the Watch really is? Ooops :(

I've finally gotten around to playing Drakensang: The River of Time.

The game is a ridiculous improvement on the first installment (which is one of the games where I decided to cheat just to get past the endgame slog). Pacing and quest quality is far superior. I wouldnt have been able to enjoy the first game at all if I had played this first.

ohhh, there's some good slogging opportunities yet. Especially if you have the expansion. Which caused me to put the game on an extended hiatus... And I haven't even finished yet... But am determined!

Playing Underrail currently and I'm really enjoying it. Lots of character skills, perks and attribute increases makes leveling interesting, and so far the story is solid. Itemization is fairly good, tho my one quibble is you cant sell things all the time to the merchants which is a pain in the butt. Otherwise excellent game so far and I totally endorse it at the 10 dollar price. If you like Fallout 1/2 or any type of post apocalyptic single player game, you'll like this one. Oh one warning its not complete, so you'll have to wait until next year for it to finish, but I think there is still a ton of content available regardless.

Playing Underrail currently and I'm really enjoying it. Lots of character skills, perks and attribute increases makes leveling interesting, and so far the story is solid. Itemization is fairly good, tho my one quibble is you cant sell things all the time to the merchants which is a pain in the butt. Otherwise excellent game so far and I totally endorse it at the 10 dollar price. If you like Fallout 1/2 or any type of post apocalyptic single player game, you'll like this one. Oh one warning its not complete, so you'll have to wait until next year for it to finish, but I think there is still a ton of content available regardless.

I haven't played Underrail since a much earlier Alpha version almost a year ago, but I was impressed even back then. I'm definitely looking forward to the finished version.

jk2 ~ jk > df ��

What do you think about jedi academy?

Jedi Academy story is rubbish though and Jaden Korr is not much of a main character compared to legendary Kyle Katarn, but saber combat system was improved further from jk2 :)

And it was kind of nice creating your own version of Jaden Korr.

Jedi Academy story is rubbish though and Jaden Korr is not much of a main character compared to legendary Kyle Katarn, but saber combat system was improved further from jk2 :)

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up - and Rosh Penin is incredibly weak and whiny, and Tavion and Alora are second rate characters compared to what was set forth in JK and JKII.

The levels were pretty decent and fun, and the way you get to allocate force powers is also a good approach. I would put it below JKII in general though, because of the weakness of plot/story. Still a fun game I play once a year along with the rest of the series.

The story and characters are nothing to write home about, but the gameplay is nicely refined, and I quite like the mix of secondary missions. I think if it had a completely linear story it wouldn't have worked nearly as well. Sadly, I think that's the closest we're going to get to a RPG set in proper Star Wars land.

I'm finding myself struggling to complete Legend of Grimrock II.

I'm not sure why exactly. I think it's a fantastic dungeon crawler, but I'm just not in the mood for this type of game right now. In fact, I've hardly gamed at all the last couple of weeks. :-/

I think I need to change things up. A first-person shooter perhaps, or maybe just something that's more action-oriented in general.

Back
Top Bottom