Spellforce 2

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I stayed away from this game for a long time because of its infamous Starforce issues (such a bad coincidence that your innovative game is phonetically similar to a terrible copyright program… and even happens to use it in some regions). Now that I'm finally playing it, it's so cool and different. Dungeon Siege and an RTS rolled into one. Glad I picked it up off Steam this weekend (no DRM worries).

Great game. But you could have played it years ago. The NA version never had Starforce.

It's made by those Indian guys. Better wait for the reviews.

Does anyone know of a camera hack so I don't feel like I've got my face pressed up against the screen when I'm in isometric mode? Something akin to the Armored Princess mod to increase zoom distance?

Man that game was great. Isn't there some sequel add on comming out for it??

http://spellforce.jowood.com/sf2/fid/

Ahh yes, this does look interesting.

I agree and have been a fan since the beginning. Its a shame the franchise is as good as dead as jowood lost the developers. As for the expansion pack from trine I'm doubtful if its ever going to come out with all the delays.

As for hacks and mods from what I know there isn't any. You can try asking on the spellforce forums as there still active.

I played this game briefly, and I really loved the overall concept, but the lack of an active-pause really hampered my enjoyment of the game. It's such a small thing to be hung up on, but I'm so used to nearly every RTS or tactical RPG having this feature that I couldn't quite get used to it. I suppose I'll have to just suck it up and adapt, as it seems like I am missing out on a solid game due to the lack of one small feature.

Excellent game, loved both it and the expansion.

As for the new thing coming out - as Gorath has pointed out, it's being developed by Trine (the guys behind the Gothic 3 add-on) and not the original developers, so I'll wait until someone here at the Watch has played it before picking it up.

I played this game briefly, and I really loved the overall concept, but the lack of an active-pause really hampered my enjoyment of the game. It's such a small thing to be hung up on, but I'm so used to nearly every RTS or tactical RPG having this feature that I couldn't quite get used to it. I suppose I'll have to just suck it up and adapt, as it seems like I am missing out on a solid game due to the lack of one small feature.

Can you at least hit escape to the main menu ala WC3?

Can you at least hit escape to the main menu ala WC3?

I haven't played WC3, but you can certainly pause the game anytime you want in Spellforce. I just meant that there isn't an active pause, where you can analyze the battlefield and queue up orders to your forces, then unpause the game to let it play out again. Some good examples of what I'm referring to (just in case I'm doing a poor job of explaining the feature I'm talking about) would be the active pause seen in Total War, Infinity Engine RPG's, Dragon Age, Divinity 2, Drakensang, etc. Spellforce only has a standard pause mechanic.

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I would prefer "active-pause" too.

Yeah, active pause seems like a must-have feature for a game like this. I read an interview with one of the developers where they said they deliberately left out active-pause as a design choice. I don't remember what their reason for this was, but I sure wish they would have implemented it as an option that can be toggled or something along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom