Should I play World of Warcraft?

Video card is an integrated ATI card. Not sure which one. 2 GB of RAM and a AMD Turion 64 x2 1.8 GHZ processor.

I'm thinking the problem is my video card. I'm not an expert with this stuff though, far from it.

Video card is an integrated ATI card. Not sure which one. 2 GB of RAM and a AMD Turion 64 x2 1.8 GHZ processor.

I'm thinking the problem is my video card. I'm not an expert with this stuff though, far from it.
Oh yeah - integrated video would likely be a problem. Something like EQII needs a dedicated graphics card.

At this point in the game I say do not start playing.

You will be soloing ALOT of content as the vast majority of people will in the most recent expansion areas which you will not have. I played WoW a good bit when it came out and it was awesome then. The game is not the same now.

I've played WoW since vanilla, and I'm still enjoying it, so I don't see what the fuss is about. I honestly think people who somehow resent it now, yet loved vanilla, have no idea what the actual differences are. When asked, it's usually some vague comment about how it's "so easy now" - as if WoW was ever hard. Taking down raid bosses takes as many attempts now as it did back then to anyone who was remotely serious about raiding. The only reason it took longer back then for quite a few people is because (too many) 40 man raids were infested with clueless players.

As for EQ2? If it's anything like it used to be, the levelling process is an exercise in extreme grinding for a very long time, especially once profs and what not come into play.

The vanilla game is quite fantastic in terms of world design and core mechanics. I wouldn't put too much faith in what people who have no experience with the game are saying, but there are dangers to playing MMOs that have nothing to do with the actual game as such.

If you have an addictive personality and you can't discipline your playtime - they can become a serious interruption in your real life - so I'd keep that in mind.

But I consider vanilla WoW the last masterpiece by Bliz - and with a free trial, you can't really go wrong. Just remember that the game is 8 years old by now.

Well, if you know any way to play WoW without having to commit 22 GB, I'd love to know, because I would like to give it a shot for at least the 10 days. But I'm not going through the hassle of installing 22 GB on my laptop (which randomly likes to shut off, so does the installation pick up where it left off?).

How long does a 22 GB installation even take?

Well, if you know any way to play WoW without having to commit 22 GB, I'd love to know, because I would like to give it a shot for at least the 10 days. But I'm not going through the hassle of installing 22 GB on my laptop (which randomly likes to shut off, so does the installation pick up where it left off?).

How long does a 22 GB installation even take?

I don't know about WoW, but usually there is some compression involved, so if the game requires 22GB HDD space, then what you are downloading is going to be significantly less than 22GB.

If your internet connection is too slow, if you are playing on a laptop, you may want to try a coffeeshop with faster connection.

I have 100Mbps connection and today it took about 10 minutes to download Far Cry 3, a game which requires 10GB space on your HDD. (DL speed was roughly 12.5MB/s, I suppose the downloaded compressed files were around 8GB or so.)

12.5MB/s is insane.

My connection is weak because I live in the middle of nowhere. Plus my laptop likes to shut off at random times for no reason whatsoever. These 2 things make installing a 22 GB file a daunting task.

Maybe I will do it anyway though. We'll see. Hopefully if my laptop shuts off it will pick up the installation from where it left off the next time I try. I would hope so anyway.

Can WoW be played with an integrated graphics card though?

Last edited:
I generally agree with Dart's assessment about WoW, that it was by far the highest quality MMO ever made, but that it is now 8 years old and getting somewhat long in the tooth. I still enjoy it though, and it's the top MMO that I'd recommend to someone who wanted to play one. But MMO's aren't for anyone, and plenty of the complaints made about it are perfectly valid (although they could be made for most every MMO).

@Fluent
WoW actually has a very good installer. You can start playing it before it's done updating all the content. I'm not sure how soon you can start playing on a fresh install, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was possible at 50%.

My SWTOR installation took about half an hour - but that wasn't the worst part.

The far worst part was the Updates ! - They needed an hour or so.

An hour and a half is not too bad.

I was thinking that a 22 GB installation on my system would take days, not hours. Since I only have a measly DSL connection, downloading 22 GB would take forever.

Still considering giving it a shot though. We'll see.

I'm seriously thinking of going back... I tried GW2 but I just couldn't get hooked on..... there goes my life again if I get MoP >.>

I don't know about WoW, but usually there is some compression involved, so if the game requires 22GB HDD space, then what you are downloading is going to be significantly less than 22GB.

If your internet connection is too slow, if you are playing on a laptop, you may want to try a coffeeshop with faster connection.

I have 100Mbps connection and today it took about 10 minutes to download Far Cry 3, a game which requires 10GB space on your HDD. (DL speed was roughly 12.5MB/s, I suppose the downloaded compressed files were around 8GB or so.)

12.5 MB/s that's nice.

That settles it I'm moving to Chocovania.:)

I've played WoW since vanilla, and I'm still enjoying it, so I don't see what the fuss is about. I honestly think people who somehow resent it now, yet loved vanilla, have no idea what the actual differences are. When asked, it's usually some vague comment about how it's "so easy now" - as if WoW was ever hard. Taking down raid bosses takes as many attempts now as it did back then to anyone who was remotely serious about raiding. The only reason it took longer back then for quite a few people is because (too many) 40 man raids were infested with clueless players.

I've played since vanilla too. While I wouldn't say I'm resentful, but now certainly less of a fanboi than with vanilla, I can see the differences the difficulty level never being one of the complaints. Repetative & boring at times-- absolutely, but that's the nature of the MMO regardless of setting.

Perhaps if I had the motivation to raid 3 nights a week as in the previous expansions I may feel differently, but I find doing so other than on the weekend is just not for me anymore. Finding raid groups (real raids, not LFR) is near impossible on the server I'm on. For me, raiding is the goal. But I understand many others may simply want to RP, or level at their own pace or whatever.

I guess if I had to choose another MMO it would be LotRO. I have returned to that one twice during WoW vacations. Trouble with that one now is to find groups as you level up— which ultimately led to my returning to my cruel WoW master.

I understand how you feel. I've played with the same group of people since The Burning Crusade. If we didn't have such a solid raid group, I would've quit years ago, no doubt about it.

My SWTOR installation took about half an hour - but that wasn't the worst part.

The far worst part was the Updates ! - They needed an hour or so.

That seems to be the worst part of any MMO installation, the false start. You get the game installed, fired up, youre excited and ready to play - then realize you may have to wait another day before it finishes updating! :lol:

Same here, I've been raiding with the same guild since Vanilla WoW, and if my guild disapeared, I'd probably quit the game tomorrow. As a whole, I have no problem with where the game has gone, in fact I think it's improved considerably since day 1. However, even with all it's changes and improvements, it just gets tiresome to keep playing the same game for so many years. Having a steady group of people you enjoy raiding with though, makes all the difference.

I understand how you feel. I've played with the same group of people since The Burning Crusade. If we didn't have such a solid raid group, I would've quit years ago, no doubt about it.

Well, I'm back into it =.= yay go me.

Having mad fun.... but horde sucks b*lls at pvp =.=+

Back
Top Bottom