Risen 3: Titan Lords - Officially Announced

Also, I understand that PC gamers want games made for them alone - words n stuff-.

As the *shakes caine* bit should have told you i was not exactly serious.

But while on the subject pc gamers may not be the minority console manufacturers keep telling everyone they are.
Wow's 10 mill+ subscribers and skyrim's mod community would certainly suggest there is a market out there.
It has been about a decade since a proper pc title was released which took full advantage of all the computational power of a pc (crysis) and in that time the market has changed substantially.
The truth is no one really knows how a proper pc title would sell today since everyone has been afraid to make the attempt outside of mmos.
Yes pc sales are down but that is because there is no reason to upgrade when an archaic piece of shit pc can run all the lates games better then a console.

The truth is no one really knows how a proper pc title would sell today…
The truth is that devs are not CEOs.

Devs make.
CEOs decide.

And it all comes to CEOs who say PC games are pirated, console games are not pirated - let's make console exclusives. It's, of course, completely wrong. But you're not CEO and whoever you are, since you're not CEO, you're stupid and leave them and their prejudicesdecisions alone.

Time for mantra:
Thank god Kickstarter exists.

As the *shakes caine* bit should have told you i was not exactly serious.

But while on the subject pc gamers may not be the minority console manufacturers keep telling everyone they are.
Wow's 10 mill+ subscribers and skyrim's mod community would certainly suggest there is a market out there.
It has been about a decade since a proper pc title was released which took full advantage of all the computational power of a pc (crysis) and in that time the market has changed substantially.
The truth is no one really knows how a proper pc title would sell today since everyone has been afraid to make the attempt outside of mmos.
Yes pc sales are down but that is because there is no reason to upgrade when an archaic piece of shit pc can run all the lates games better then a console.

So, you're not serious but you're still serious?

Sure, whatever :)

As someone pointed out earlier, Risen 1 turned me off, too, for the hyper-powered wildlife. Even a well-equipped character needed to stay on the main roads or risk getting killed quickly by ordinary beasts. Seriously? That was a huge fault in Gothic 3, too, and just as ridiculous and annoying.

As someone pointed out earlier, Risen 1 turned me off, too, for the hyper-powered wildlife. Even a well-equipped character needed to stay on the main roads or risk getting killed quickly by ordinary beasts. Seriously? That was a huge fault in Gothic 3, too, and just as ridiculous and annoying.

It was the same in Gothic 1&2 as well, and it's one of my favorite things about Piranha Bytes. They're one of the few RPG developers that still make challenging games that don't hold your hand. You have to think carefully about everything you do in terms of character development and how you plan for hostile encounters.

I'd be terribly disappointed if they changed that approach.

It was the same in Gothic 1&2 as well, and it's one of my favorite things about Piranha Bytes. They're one of the few RPG developers that still make challenging games that don't hold your hand. You have to think carefully about everything you do in terms of character development and how you plan for hostile encounters.

I'd be terribly disappointed if they changed that approach.

Yup, one of the things they do absolutely right in their games (sure in G3 it sucked sometimes). I really prefer this over dull grinding of wild life. It's not supposed to be a hack'n'slash game. I wish they could take some inspiration from Dark Souls combat.

Yup, one of the things they do absolutely right in their games (sure in G3 it sucked sometimes). I really prefer this over dull grinding of wild life. It's not supposed to be a hack'n'slash game. I wish they could take some inspiration from Dark Souls combat.

They got it right with Risen 1 though.

Having said that, I liked the combat in Gothic 3. Sure it had no feedback or appropriate sound effects, but it was very convenient and flexible as you had a number attacks, charged attacks, thrusts .. etc. depending on your weapon. The two handed combat was also great. I thought it was very fitting to a game of this huge scale. The magic and archary were also great.

Great news, and I hope for the best, as I could really use a rpg as good as Gothic. But previous Risen wasn't great, and the focus on previous generation consoles is somewhat concerning - it was console limitations that call for small, separated locales. Gothic had that great sense of exploration, because despite the world being arguably quite small is relative dimensions, it was very dense, with every nook and cranny hiding something interesting. Risen 2 felt exactly opposite of that, with limited, sparse islands.

I admit, I was really disappointed by Risen 2. Risen 1, while not amazing was quite good, up to a point at least and felt a bit like poor man's Gothic 2, but while I wished for Gothic 2 improved, I could understand Piranha Bytes playing it safe after the fiasco with overestimating their capabilities with Gothic 3.
So I hoped Risen 2 will be an improvement on that. It wasn't. It was even more more limited and simplified.

Really hope they'll do better this time, but while I keep fingers crossed, I have my doubts. We'll see.

Yes, i can see you are obviously confused.
Perhaps if you point out just what you have difficulties grasping i can help clear it up for you.

Just be truthful and clear in the future, and my level of confusion should diminish all by itself :)

As for your position on a small developer taking a major risk to satisfy your personal "not entirely serious" expectation, I've lost interest - sorry.

The only one not being truthful here is you.
The part (and i thought this was obvious) i was not serious about was the "stick to pc dagnabbit" part wich prompted a ranty response from you.
I then went on to challenge your assertion that the pc crowd was an obvious minority since you brought it up.
I have allready explained why i dont think it would have been such a giant undertaking to develop it for the newer consoles using the same assets and ofc not being a programmer i could very well be wrong.
But yes, this is pointless and i am sure the rest of the forums want their thread back.

I liked Risen a lot, Risen 2 I haven't played yet, but I'll get to it someday. And Gothic 2 is one of my all time favorite games, so I'll give them the benfit of the doubt every time =)

Risen 3 is available for preorder at amazon.

You can't preorder PC version on amazon.com yet, only PS3 and XBOX versions. The price is about $50:
http://www.amazon.com/Risen-3-Titan-Lords-PlayStation/dp/B00IODWOQS

You can preorder german PC version on amazon.de. The price is 50€:
http://www.amazon.de/Risen-3-Titan-Lords-PC/dp/B00IL6HSF0

Unless you want a special amazon PC edition? Of course you do, we all do, it's utterly cheap. Only 100€:
http://www.amazon.de/Risen-Lords-Special-Amazon-Edition/dp/B00IL6HSGE
What's in it? God knows, but I bet it's not the cloth map. If it was, it'd probably be titled as collector's edition, not amazon special.

They wont offer a physical collector edition in the NA market. The current trend is to only offer digital versions of them. I may have to pay more to import another game

Update: Amazon in the US only list the console versions. Seems I was correct.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom