Merge some forums!

I think the game-related forums could be renamed to make them more generic, instead of NWN2 just make it NWN series. Instead of Gothic 3, it could be Gothic series, etc. But it's not a big deal really.

Saw the title and thought, WHY? It's great the way it is.

Vhoa, so you are THE Alistair? Too good to be true! :D Welcome back, sonny! :gorath:

I think everyone hates me now because I voted for one big uberforum :(

No, but they'll find another reason to hate you. ;)

Most people here like it well organized. Smaller forums are easier to moderate than a big one. I agree that most of them could use a bit more traffic though.

We are discussing this internally at the moment. There's a flood of new RPGs. What do you guys think, which forums should be created or closed?

Well, G3 and NWN2 are pretty quiet lately. How about expanding the G3 forum mandate to Piranha Bytes games (plus Arcania?), and the NWN2 forum to BioWare and Obsidian games?

I think that'd have most of the major upcoming releases covered. If Venetica proves significant enough that it won't fit under General RPG, you could always give it its own forum.

That seems like an excellent idea to me. I'd list the relevant games in the description of each forum, though.

Does the software used for this forum allow underforums? That way new, major games from studios such as Obsidian and BioWare (for instance, Dragon Age when that's out) can get their own underforums without crowding the front page of the forum and filling the forum with new subforums.

Übereil

As you can see at the Gothic and NWN forums; Yes it does.

Well, G3 and NWN2 are pretty quiet lately. How about expanding the G3 forum mandate to Piranha Bytes games (plus Arcania?), and the NWN2 forum to BioWare and Obsidian games?

I think that'd have most of the major upcoming releases covered. If Venetica proves significant enough that it won't fit under General RPG, you could always give it its own forum.

I think there'll perhaps be demand for Dragon Age and for Divinity 2, but that's just a rough estimation by me.

I think that the Gothic 1 & 2 sub-forums shouldn't be closed, especially, since they aren't that prominent on the general forum display.
Furthermore, Gothic 1 seems to have established itself a little bitr as a "classic", which means that there'll probably people for it every now and then.

Another idea would be to generate an sub-forum called "other RPGS" or so, into which the Drakensang forum could be moved into as a sub-forum.

Or just take ALL RPGs into such a forum and create sub-forums for that - like with all Gothic games.
I'm pro to rather do sub-forums than new "normal" forums.

In fact, I think specific game forums should not be in the main page, but as subforums of the 'General RPG' forum, and then maybe add the possibility (user customized) to flag a subforum to appear in the main page (maybe as links to their actual subforums). Since I couldn't care less about Gothic, I don't want it in the main page, but I would like, say, Drakensang and King's Bounty. Just my 2 cps.

Drakensang has low traffic now, but the next game is around the corner.

Arcania is not a new Gothic. It's the start of a new series.

We already have a forum for other RPGs. It's called "General RPG". ;)

Drakensang has low traffic now, but the next game is around the corner.

Arcania is not a new Gothic. It's the start of a new series.

We already have a forum for other RPGs. It's called "General RPG". ;)

Surely you mean that *Risen* is not a new Gothic, but the start of a new series?

No, I meant Arcania.

Uh... how does that work? I means sure, the studio is different, but it's in the same universe, characters and monsters are carried over, and it's even subtitled "A Gothic Tale."

It's only a marketing trick to pull the Gothic audience into their new franchise. JoWooD wants full control. They can only get it if they move away from Gothic after Arcania. Making the gameplay too similar would also be a bad idea. Why enter direct competition with PB, if they can avoid it?
Since the new creative producer is there (an ex-PB!), they finally talk about how their game is different.

How is this different from Fallout 3? I mean, lots of people argued that it shouldn't have been called Fallout 3, but very few of those argued that it's not a Fallout game at all.

How is this different from Fallout 3? I mean, lots of people argued that it shouldn't have been called Fallout 3, but very few of those argued that it's not a Fallout game at all.
It is also a legal question: The rights for Gothic sequels were shared in some way between Jowood and PB (like: one of them has the right for Gothic 4, but the other for everything else IIRC, it was explained somewhere here). This would make it risky for each party to work with that name, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom