10 Best RPGs Of All Time @ MyGaming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
No week can pass without a list of some sort and MyGaming has obliged early with the 10 Best RPGs Of All Time. Their methodology is different - rather than an editorial opinion, this is based on Gamerankings scores. That means (drumroll)...Mass Effect 2 is the best ever, followed by Fallout 3 and Chronotrigger. The list is rounded out with KotOR, BG2, Oblivion, FF3, FF9, BG and Fallout.
More information.

Ah lists,I've been here long enough to know that they're only worth a good laugh.

The fact that they dismissed Diablo because it was an actionRPG while they've got shooters like Mass Effect 2 Fallout3 in the first two spots made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Mass Effect 2 as nr.1 in an RPG list? Right.

this list is full of fail…

how can this next gen console trash ever be on rank 1 AND 2?

Any top 10 list which doesn't contain an Ultima, nor PS-T is not worth reading!!

Ah lists,I've been here long enough to know that they're only worth a good laugh.

The fact that they dismissed Diablo because it was an actionRPG while they've got shooters like Mass Effect 2 Fallout3 in the first two spots made me chuckle.
Nah, that's fair, IMHO. Diablo is all about fast action and getting more loot. The story is pretty minimal. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect feel more like RPGs that are using first person shooter mechanics for their battles. It's a question of how much time you spend gathering quests, chatting with NPCs, and story strength, not a question of how battles are done in the game.

Also notice what they are doing - they are going straight through Gamerankings.com. That's why the title is the best RATED RPGs. Ultima isn't going to be there because Gamerankings doesn't go that far back.

Based on metacritic, so worthwhile info in that sense. Otherwise, just another opinion.

If they don't go back that far, then they can't be OF ALL TIME!!

Well, I guess they even failed this list, because I think Zelda Ocarina of time ? is listed as an RPG ? and I think it is at least as much RPG as mass effect, final fantasy and the others…. and it is the highest ranked game ( not just RPG but highest overall rated game ) on both meta critics and game rankings… so these people are not even competent enough to sort a list!!!!

Ocarina of Time, while an awesome game, is not an RPG at all. Red Dead Redemption is more of an RPG than Ocarina of time.

Still, this list doesn't seem to make much sense, nor have any point to it.

Ocarina of Time, while an awesome game, is not an RPG at all. Red Dead Redemption is more of an RPG than Ocarina of time.

Still, this list doesn't seem to make much sense, nor have any point to it.

You got that wrong, it is categorized as an action-RPG and as I said it is as much RPG as final fantasy, Mass Effect or chrono-trigger ( not that I think these are particularly RPGish either ) . Either way no matter our definition it is the official definition which we have to go by which is action-RPG. I can agree with you it is an action-adventure though.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/n64/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/150/150437p1.html

Here are som link of official site which classify it as RPG.

I have a blasphemous question : If I develop any game and call it an "RPG" - will everyone - especially the press - take my "definition" without argueing ?

An with the press repeating and repeating certain things ... Would this definition make it becoming a "real one" ?

I certainly wouldn't, which is why I do not consider Diablo, Oblivion and so on "RPGs". I consider the former an action game, and the latter an action adventure. As far as I'm concerned, a game needs choices/consequences in addition to character development to be a proper RPG.

Then again, I'm probably not the right guy to ask.

I have a blasphemous question : If I develop any game and call it an "RPG" - will everyone - especially the press - take my "definition" without argueing ?

An with the press repeating and repeating certain things … Would this definition make it becoming a "real one" ?

It helps if you call it the future of RPGs.

As far as I'm concerned, a game needs choices/consequences in addition to character development to be a proper RPG.

What about most of the CRPGs from the 80s and early 90s? As far as I know, a lot of them didn't have any choice and consequences, they were pure dungeon crawlers.

Any "best rpg ever list" that has mass effect 2 is utter bullshit.

I think it depends on who voted for it.
I could imagine a specific type of (rather casual, I guess) player believing this is a good RPG.

Back
Top Bottom