Hello and A Few Thoughts

CM, and others who have welcomed me: Thanks, I appreciate simple niceness, even on the internet!

Corwin: Cheers. Interested to know what server Lucky ran on NWN as I'm familiar with many.

skavenhorde: Ah apologies, I did use a bit of assumption myself there!

DArtagnan: Yes, that sounds wise.

I definitely agree that the best policy is to ignore them. Sometimes though, in an instant, something really riles you. When it does, it's difficult to move on because then you feel like you're suppressing your emotions. I guess I also initially presumed they'd misunderstood something about me, which is why I pursued it. At first I wanted to know why my character had just been called a jerk. Had this person misinterpreted some joke I'd made with a friend? But when the OOC stuff started, it quickly became obvious that their sole purpose was to rile me. Well, they succeeded. In future I will just have to shake my head and move on.

Some people take great pleasure in that very kind of confusion. They KNOW there's no reason for their behavior, and they KNOW that "sensitive" people will wonder why they're being treated like that.

You could assume they're "bad" or "evil" - but I don't think so. I just think they have some issues with other people or suffer in RL social environments, and they use the games to somehow get rid of their frustrations. You could argue that's a good thing, except I personally believe that even online griefing will eventually come back to haunt the griefers.

It's a destructive circle, but it just might be a necessary lesson for certain people.

Then again, I've also met "reasonable" griefers - who really enjoy killing "good guys" as some kind of roleplaying satisfaction. It can be hard to detect, but you generally don't need more than a single conversation to understand what kind of person you're dealing with.

Since I'm a very competitive person, or at least I used to be, I've had my share of frustration playing games with "unfair" rules - or where you can't "enforce justice" without suffering endlessly beforehand. That said, if you really think it's a worthwhile pursuit - it can be tremendously satisfying to put people in their place - using nothing but superior skill and an amiable/generous attitude after you've killed them.

Since I have neither the time nor the patience for that these days, I just avoid games that don't setup a fair playground. I certainly would never play in a closed server environment like NWN, with strangers. That kind of thing is just asking for a bad experience, unless you're very lucky or thrive in opposition.

Since I'm not an online player, I won't interfere in these dicussions ;)
but I have to admit that Newbies often have a hard time
and, if you look at the very beginning of Gothic 1, Newbies are often the preferred target of some people - I mean in general, not here.

I'm moderating in a forum about HSPs ... And as I once said there, our goal is to make people competent, so that they re able to survive out there and withstand the bullies, too.

I believe that with enough knowledge and training, any online player should be able to withstand at least most of the not-so-well meaning people.

And with some more training, people can be able to withstand them and even keep their heart from becoming a heart of stone, so to say.

Back
Top Bottom