Risen 3: Titan Lords - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
To begin the large news-bit started I have new press release from Deep Silver about the release in the NA market. Don't worry as we will be the beta testers this time.

Risen 3: Titan Lords Now Available in North America

August 12, 2014 - Cologne, Germany - Deep Silver announced the release of Risen 3: Titan Lords for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system as well as Windows PC today in North America and on August 15th in Europe and the rest of the world. With Risen 3: Titan Lords, Piranha Bytes, the creators of Gothic and Risen, return to their origins with a new, classic RPG that pulls the player in to a hand-crafted role-playing world full of rugged charm where every decision changes the course of the story.

In their "Factions" gameplay video, Piranha Bytes introduce the three factions of Risen 3: Titan Lord s and takes you on an unforgettable, visually stunning journey. In Risen 3: Titan Lords, every faction comes with its own unique skills and tasks and offers a very unique style of play.

See the launch trailer: https://rcpt.hightail.com/2603501253/0415437012e9dc08a4227ce295cf53d2?cid=tr-1001012/
Then I found a few more reviews for the game, and not all of them like the game.

Innergeek - 1.5/5

It’s a shame the game is so riddled with issues, because it has some cool ideas up those frilly sleeves. The game’s pretty relaxed about how you go about quests, even telling the quest giver to f**k off if you get bored. Unfortunately, for all its ambition, once I got wings I just wanted to fly away.
Analog Addiction - 9/10

Fans of the Risen franchise will absolutely love Risen 3: Titan Lords, while newcomers will definitely enjoy it, and maybe even get interested in the other two entries.
The Sixth Axis - 3/10

Though Risen 3 has its moments, there is simply too much to overlook, even if you’re patient enough to make it five or six hours into the game. Role-playing die hards may be able to wring a few morsels of enjoyment from Titan Lords though others, including casual fans of the genres, will find it almost unplayable.
Attackof The Fanboy - No Score but Meh

Risen 3: Titan Lords is an old-school RPG that will appeal to only the hardcore Risen/Gothic community. For the rest, this last-gen offering is one that will likely fly under the radar. And given that well-executed freedom of exploration and passable combat barely balance out the handful of negative aspects, this is one experience that can wait for a price drop.
And for last I have another twitch.tv recorded live stream.

More information.

The Sixth Axis gives the game a 3 of 10? Really? It criticizes the game for lackluster combat and too many bugs. But I guess they could overlook those same 'problems' with Skyrim and give that game a 9 of 10? And they give Sacred 3 a 5 of 10? Wow.

PC Gamer gave it an 83.

A quote from InnerGeek...

In many ways, Risen 3 reminds me of a macro Morrowind: after a short tutorial you’re dumped into the world and expected to tackle objectives however you see fit; like Morrowind, the combat is real time but still relies on dice rolls to decide if a hit makes contact; like Morrowind, it now feels archaic.
Tar and feathers are available in the back. PLEASE put a little something in the donation jar - that stuff isn't free.

I just saw it! I gotta start reading news items in reverse order. ;)

I found a few more and most are just as terrible as the ones above.

MousenJoypad - 82/100
Risen 3 is the third of Piranha Bytes' spiritual successors to the Gothic franchise. Focusing on piracy (actual piracy, not the one we're dealing with on a daily basis) as its predecessor did, it has you manning your own boat and crew, all the while completing quests for epic loot, with peg legs flying around, hitting parrots over their heads. Focusing on humor, it's a fun romp that would benefit greatly from a vast, open and connected world we could freely explore. The best game in the series, for now.

Stick Twiddlers - No Score
If you are a fan of the Risen series I would still recommend waiting for a price drop, and especially to those newcomers who are thinking about using this as your entry to the Risen world. Sadly for me, Risen 3: Titan Lords failed to deliver on too many levels for it to be seen as nothing but a below average RPG game.

Gamer Headlines - 4/10
Risen 3 as it stands is a mess and I am hoping a simple bug fix can sort out some of the more noticeable and problematic issues. A smoother experience would be much welcomed and a bug fix would certainly give me a reason to go back to Risen 3. Until then I will just wait in the hope that the game will one day… Work.

The game is part disgrace, part the things only PB does (well), and part the things PB should quit doing. There are legitimate things to hate, and how big they are is not easy to pin down.

The questing is something else... that's not right, they aren't quests or missions they are chores. They give you lots of chores in this game, and you don't get your allowance without doing tons of chores for people. Does that get under your skin? I bristle at how much this game seems to want me to hate it at the same time I want to bask in the "it's the new PB game" feeling. Do you mind picking 7 moldy mushrooms and plucking 5 dusty bones for me? I do, and I can't believe I am invested in a game that asks me to go fetch half-hidden items over and over for it.

But the really terrible reviews are well-deserved console thrashings. If this game is ugly, performs badly, and has things that only the hardcore can endure for the sake of a PB game... that's a deservedly nasty review.

Storm clouds gathering. Reviews should agree in general and should give high scores for a game everywhere for Risen 3 to be really worth checking out and buying.

I played this game for about 5 hours today. So far, it really plays like a continuation of Risen 2. That isn't to say it's bad because I enjoyed Risen 2. But I do admit, I was hoping for more of a return to the Risen 1 'vibe' and was even holding out small hopes for a G1/G2 'vibe.' In any case, I still think R3 will be a fun game. It's too bad the landmass is once again all chopped up. Hopefully with the new 'next gen' consoles out, R4 or whatever CRPG they make next will have the horsepower to get back to the single large landmass I so enjoyed in G1/G2/G3/R1.

played it a few hours. Disapointed. so far yeah, it looks like what Risen 2 should've been like.. but far from Gothic stuff.
Immersion sucks, skills that promote exploration but break it are all over the place. I'm not sure who can have "fun" with this fun game.

Most (not all!) more negative reviews seem to come from the console crowd. I'm not surprised. At all.

I played this game for about 5 hours today. So far, it really plays like a continuation of Risen 2.

Sounds fine to me, since I really enjoyed both Risen & Risen 2 and would rate them at (roughly) the same 8/10 level.

Not that I was blind to flaws and weaknesses in either game but for me the exploration, storyline and character building was entertaining enough to render the shortcomings fairly irrelevant. Even the combat was something that I really didn´t have an issue with in either game (pre or post patching).

So this is a definite buy! (when the price drops a little, since I have a ton of other titles to play anyway) ;)

Most (not all!) more negative reviews seem to come from the console crowd. I'm not surprised. At all.

The Risen series could be better if it were a PC only game series.
Better Gfx, better controls, no need to please casual players and no trash reviews from the console crowd.

Is PB really selling more copies trying to please everyone than they would just trying to please the Gothic/old school RPG crowd??

Consolified simple combat is the biggest hurdle so far. With better combat devs would have easily earned 85/100 review scores. Excellent Far Cry 1 Sandbox feeling.
Haven't encountered any NPCs yet on hard difficulty. Survival is getting rough after I'm out of rum! :DD

PROS:
+Nice main menu with BIG fonts.
+Really nice smooth scrolling credits = this shows attention for detail by the programmers so generally a good indicator for a good game.
+Good music
+Excellent graphical options in the GRAPHICS section
+Very nice game start with BIG FONTS
+ALT+Tabbing works
+FAST and clean 3D engine with good lighting
+Elaborate textures,
++Excellent Sandbox exploration opportunities
++Superb solution for hunger

……………………………….

CONS:
—the Protagonist looks like a Troll with Big Hands, but only noticeable at the beginning of the game
—This pirate-Crap-Theme is annoying
—Sister companion has a trashy mouth: vulgar swearing words are completely unnecessary in this game
—Subtitle fonts are too small

+Really nice smooth scrolling credits = this shows attention for detail by the programmers so generally a good indicator for a good game.
What?! Are you serious? :D
Never heard of that being an indicator.

I doubt Risen 3 has nostoryrelated generated grindmetolevelup quests.

Sister companion has a trashy mouth: vulgar swearing words
In my case things like this goes to pros. Sorry. You can't be a pirate without an arsenal of dirty words. Unless you act in this year's failed two pirate themed TV shows where every pirate is nicer and more mannered than both me and you.

I doubt Risen 3 has nostoryrelated generated grindmetolevelup quests.

In my case things like this goes to pros. Sorry. You can't be a pirate without an arsenal of dirty words. Unless you act in this year's failed two pirate themed TV shows where every pirate is nicer and more mannered than both me and you.

But I did not accept any quests from an NPC yet. Haven't met them, just spent time exploring the game world, collecting XP.

Swearing could have been done creatively, leaving out rude words. Have you noticed you need to give your birth date on Steam? That says this game isn't really for children. Dev's messed up adding foul language.

Foul language isn't the problem, it's the context and voice acting that's the problem.

It's really, really awkward.

Back
Top Bottom