Dragon Age 2 - Ray Muzyka Interview @ Eurogamer

As for BG2, I do somewhat agree with Bioware. I had to force myself to finish the game, and then force myself to finish Throne of Bhaal. [I only beat ToB last year...] The game still suffers from the combat features that newer Bioware games and rpg games like Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 does: build up to the boss battle that consists of fairly easy to beat enemies, be the humans and monsters, and the boss battle itself, which is nearly impossible to do. In BG2; I actually had to cheat with CTRL+Y to defeat the shape-shifting dragon, Abizigail, I think the name was?

As for DA2's faults, I remember Laidlaw admitting (if you know how to read between the lines) that maybe, just maybe the whole re-use of environments was not that great an idea, and Luke Barret has commented on the whole wave combat as well as made thread about it. In these threads he asked the fans how they would like to see waves done in future, if at all. Most of us, myself answered, that the use of waves are fine, it is just their implementation, design and execution that are - ahem- a bit off.

People keep comparing DA2 to the Witcher games so I will continue this -ahem- trend:
In Witcher 1's combat, there are also waves, they don't just appear so because you have maybe 1 wraith waiting for you, then two more will suddenly appear from the ground. If Bioware want to do combat waves, this, imo, is how it should be done.

As for the re-use of areas, I don't know, since I haven't played the game yet. However, my local Gamestop has DA2 on sale for about 178 DKK (that's about 22 Euros or 36 US Dollars) so I'll probably buy it when I get paid next time.

As to who decided these things, development time, money and resources allocated (given) to the project, my guess would the 'powers that be' in both EA and Bioware, meaning JR (as in John Ricitiello), Ray and Greg, Fernando Melo, the senior producer at Bioware and the Project Director for DA2, Dan Tudge. My educated is that they have seen how successfull the CoD games are, and then this thougt appeared 'hey, if we got 1/10 of the CoD gamers, we would be rolling in millions of dollars.' Unfortunately, as I have stated elsewhere and here, I don't think this is gonna happen - if people (like me) want to play a CoD game, they'll buy, and play, such a game. If they want to play an RPG, they go to Bioware, CD Project RED, Piranha Bytes etc.

Mike Laidlaw as the Lead Designer probably is the one to hold responsible for the actual design decisions. However, my educated guess is that he had very little leeway in what he could do - he had to follow the instructions set from above pretty much. And JR did mention at one time that he really liked Jade Empire; this could explain the manga cartoons, the manga art design and the manga art work. The dialogue wheel, I don't know, but I think it works well. The faster phased combat - probably Ray, Greg, JR, Dan Tudge and Fernando Melo who did come out and say 'we want the CoD audience.'

Bioware probably hoped that at least some of the CoD audience would try and like DA2 (solely) because of the combat. However, there's much more to DA2 as an RPG than combat; there's quests, dialogues, character building and so on.

1) DA2's art style is not anime or manga inspired. I simply don't see it. I mean, I really don't. I guess one boss sequence made me think of a JRPG (the weird energy blasting thinger), but that was more in the multi-form boss execution. It didn't look particularly anime. Where are the big eyes, bizarre teardrops, gigantic heads on tiny bodies and ridiculous other anime/manga stylistic tropes? Not in DA2, that's for sure.

2) Why are all the true haters folks who admit they never touched the game? Get some perspective, you can't review something you've not played.

3) The combat in DA2 is still RPG combat, just at a ridiculously fast pace. I don't see how a FPS fan would ever get into it. It's not a FPS. Not even close. It's not even like Mass Effect. They weren't drawing the CoD audience to the game- there's no cover system or reason to shout racial epithets at the screen when playing (unless you really hate Qunari). Man, why don't people shit on ME like this. Now that's a game that deserves it- the FPS/RPG mechanic hybrids in there aren't even remotely fun. The only interesting part of ME is the dialog. :p

4) Waves do suck, they need to be fixed, but I was replaying BGT the other day- ran into some gnolls. Killed them. Out popped skeletons from the ground. For no reason. Completely ridiculous. Waves! Hardly a new thing to Bioware. We apparently should have been bitching about this since the 90's, but nobody did. Maybe that's why they thought it was okay?

I hope the DLC ends up being awesome. I beat the game before the 'patch that makes it fun', so I'm hoping to enjoy these new features in a lengthy addon. Based on what they're saying, and the lack of DLC announcements, I can only imagine they're making something Awakening sized. Yay!

Why are all the true haters folks who admit they never touched the game? Get some perspective, you can't review something you've not played.

Not sure where you get that idea. Most of the people I know who hate it have indeed played it.

DA2, Duke Nukem Forever, same fight !!
Bad games done for bad and dishonest reasons.

2) Why are all the true haters folks who admit they never touched the game? Get some perspective, you can't review something you've not played.

Let me disabuse you of this notion. I played the demo and hated it. I decided, against my better judgement, to rent the full game right after it was released in case it did get better and since reviews seemed to indicate that the fast paced combat might feel better on the console. It sort of did, but the game was still terrible. I completed the game once and briefly considered a second play through to see if making different choices changed anything but I couldn't bring myself to re-start it.

DA2 and ME2 moved me from buying every title Bioware has released (except Sonic RPG) to probably never bothering with them again unless something very significant changes about their overall design direction.

If I want to play an arcade brawler or Diablo-like click fest, I will find a good one, not DA2. If I want to play a shooter, I will find a good one, not ME2. If I want to play an RPG, I will look for a company or indie that still makes them.

Lesson to learn

A good sucesfull game defends it self on its own. A crapy game has to be defended in every interview by its creators.

Simply as that

Lesson to learn

A good sucesfull game defends it self on its own. A crapy game has to be defended in every interview by its creators.

Simply as that

I have to say, best comment right there.

As JDR13 said, the people that i know that hate the game, have played it and not just basing their opinions on the demo or on other peoples opinions.

Personally i think the game could be pretty good if there were some things added/removed and there was generally a lot more attention to some details.
A whole city comprised of 1 small area(hightown), 2 tiny areas(docks and lowtown) and a "room" (Gallows) is just going too far when talking about linearity.

The re-used areas was such a turn off that i don't even want to think about it. 10 or something sidequests on the same seaside map.
Getting in the same underground passage for 5 different quests, from 4 different places…….really??

Side quests that started when finding something in a random place and ended when returning it to a certain person. One of them was finding a body and returning it to a dalish elf and the dialogue was "I believe you lost this" while giving away the body? Typical sign of rushing stuff in just for the sake of it.

The combat is also something that i personally didn't enjoy all that much but not gonna say much there cause i know some people did. I'd prefer it a bit slower.

Seeing them avoiding to admit the mistakes is sad really. I hope they manage to turn things around.

Giovanni, the problem is Bioware thinks you're another irrelevant and loud fan who cannot say what he (dis)likes. :)

To me DA2 was not a bad game. I've had my share of fun with it. But also compared to it's predecessor, it's not worth mentioning as a game you shouldn't miss. If you didn't buy it, don't worry. It's far form a must play masterpiece.

The dialogue wheel, I don't know, but I think it works well.

The problem for me is not so much the wheel itself but that it was poorly implemented. Very frequently I found the option I chose resulted in a reaction or statement that wasn't at all what I intended or had in mind when I saw that option on the wheel. They could have done something like show the full text when you mouseover/highlight an option or simply just made a better effort to ensure the options accurately conveyed the end result.

1) DA2's art style is not anime or manga inspired. I simply don't see it. I mean, I really don't.

I would say it's sort of pseudo anime filtered through a western lense. The actual art style is very western but there are elements of it like the oversized weapons, extreme and exaggerated gore and bright colors that seemed really cartoony. Honestly, I could easy see an animated program of this style and caliber being on Adult Swim.

Not sure where you get that idea. Most of the people I know who hate it have indeed played it.

Considering that there are a lot of people complaining about it in the Bioware registered owners forum and negative reviews on Amazon from verified buyers I would say there are plenty of people who own the game that are unhappy with it.

The demo, in my opinion, was crap and did them no favors, but on the other hand I do feel it was a mostly accurate representation of the game as a whole.

David Gaider is either an idiot or just saying what he was told to say. They probably could have made something as good as DA:O in 3 years and then probably sold 4 million copies. That would have been much better then 2 years and 2 million copies and they wouldn't have to defend it to a bunch of pissed off fans.

My critique about DA2, beyond some details is twofold:

1) The main world story of the blight, who the dragons are, why there REALLY is a blight, what about the version of the Chantry, what about Morrigan and the child… all these I perceive as THE main mystery of the world was not furthered or answered a BIT. It was all a totally new and in terms of the "world-mystery" irrelevant story. I heard ZERO about any things I wanted to know and be revealed further that was began in DA:O.

2) The main character was 100% driven. He never was making event or changing history, he was merely a witness, accidentally there and nothing he made or didn't make was making any changes.

There are other details, but these sums up why I profoundly dislike DA2.

EDIT: Some of the "minor" details were

- repetitive environment use
- not really lush enough environments, kinda bland (see Witcher 2 for how I want environments)
- 10 years story jump sorta felt unorganic
- lack of Origin stories of different races; I loved the Origin stories as one of the best features of DA1

I don't know why the people in Bioware don't want to accept it's nearly impossible to do this.

It's a corporate mandate to sell as many copies as possible, I don't think they really have a choice either way. It makes more sense to budget and build to a specific audience but EA wants the world.

Core fans have always been a vocal minority. It has been common understanding for at least 10 years - if not longer - that devs should not put much value into unfiltered fan feedback. Fans are loud but they more often than not simply don't know what they're talking about (from a professional perspective), meaning that they're often not capable of explaining clearly what exactly they (dis)like and why.

Not to mention the fact that they will likely complain and act as if they've been abused but then buy your next game anyway.

There is one company who is worse and already has the world. Its called Activision .

There is one company who is worse and already has the world. Its called Activision .
Activision Blizzard mind you. Soon EA will duke it out with their cashcow WoW. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Dragon Age pales in comparison so I really don't understand why they decided to do a rush job with the second title, that is if they're not bleeding cash developing SWTOR.

Oh they need the money. Remember that false report going around about it costing $300 million. The reality is its close to $80 million and probably rising according to analyst's. Its probably the most expensive MMO in development due to all the cutscenes and voiced dialog.

Any game released by BioWare will sell well at this point. That doesn't prove a thing. The question is: Will their games continue to sell well even if the quality drops?

Even mainstream reviewers had to admit that DA2 was a step down from Origins, and most reached the same conclusion people around here did: DA2 was good, but not great, especially compared to other BioWare games.

Calling it rubbish seems to me like it's a way to express that it didn't meet expectations, which it clearly didn't. DA2 would probably have been considered a significantly better game if it wasn't a sequel to Origins.

Any game released by BioWare will sell well at this point. That doesn't prove a thing. The question is: Will their games continue to sell well even if the quality drops?

If they release several stinkers in a row their name will stop meaning an instant purchase for millions of people. I don't think they will release several stinkers in a row though. Mass Effect 3 will likely be amazing and if they're smart they will make sure Dragon Age 2 at least gets the development time it needs to improve on DA2.

I am someone who feels that 90% of DA2's problems were due to it being rushed.

I am someone who feels that 90% of DA2's problems were due to it being rushed.

A rushed job is not always a good explanation for a poor game, just take a look at Gothic 4, over 4 years of development and what the fans got ? (rethorical question)
Bad game design and decysions are an problem of DA 2 as well, and looking how Gothic has eveolved worries me about BW future products and the studio as well.

RPG genre needs fresh air thats for sure, and BW is trying to give it to it, but so far that air is more of farts, judging by community reactions, and how divided it gets every new release.
Lets hope they will find a good recipe for improvving the genre without pissing most of old RPG fans, and still be able to gain some more new ones, while setting the new standards for RPG tittles, and for sake of all fans and customers lets hope those standards will be damn high so all customers can realy beneffit from it in form of a high quality products and not dumbed down ports PC<>Console both ways.

We all know BioWare and we all know they can do way way way better than DA2.

BW is not some random studio out of the blue without a past and etc etc, they are considered the Kings of AAA RPG games, so the expectactions are high and will be high untill an new King will be revealed, and for BW sake lets hope that it wont happen as you all know what EA does to theyr studios once they squish all juice from them, and i would hate to see another good developer going down, specialy one of my favorite ones except theyr last game ;)

Back
Top Bottom