John Carpenter...

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I've been on a John Carpenter kick lately. The Thing, The Fog and I just watched Prince of Darkness. I hadn't seen Prince of Darkness in a good 20 years and forgot about those creepy dream broadcasts. Such a cool concept.

I know in the 90's he put out a serious string of cinematic turds (Ghosts of Mars anyone?), but this guy really made great stuff in the 80's. He didn't just direct, he made whole films. Writing, music, lens work... all on marginal budgets. Anyway...

Next up Snake Plisken baby... "When I get back I'm gonna kill you..."

Ahhhh.. the Thing. The only movie that made me consider leaving the cinema. I read in a review once: "It's not that it's that scary, but that it's very yecchy" (not the exact wording).

BTW. The Norwegian in the beginning of the movie is, while not kosher, fairly good. Far better than unauthorized attempts in other movies/tv shows (X-files, anyone? *shivers*)

For me Dark Star is his best film.

Edit: (With The Fog a close second.)

Oh yeah Dark Star. I remember when video stores had a Beta section vs. VHS and Dark Star was on display right in front of the sci fi section next to Barbarella. LOL

I really like Assault on Precinct 13.

He used to be a genius, but I think he gave up on the Hollywood system. Basically, in interviews, he's been saying that he no longer sees the point in investing himself - and apparently he's ok with the shit he's been turning out in recent years. I can't blame him though, as some of his top stuff tanked in the box office. Not a big surprise, as the biggest hits tend to be a lot more mainstream than The Thing or the wonderfully quirky Big Trouble.

Personally:

1. The Thing
2. Big Trouble in little China
3. Halloween

Some of his other stuff is great as well, but pretty much everything since Mouth of Madness is crap.

Dart: This is uncanny, but .... I agree completly with your list.

*ponders*

pibbur who can't think of anything more to say at the moment

The Thing
The Fog
Princes of Darkness.

Yup, that's my list.

Big trouble in little China is one of my favorite movies ;) He and Wes Craven are instrumental in how I look back on the 80's.

The 'Thing' was pure genius. I guess there's a new 'Thing' movie that's actually a prequel. It deals with the Nordic outcamp that first dealt with the alien entity. I haven't seen it so I have no idea if it's any good.

The 'Thing' was pure genius. I guess there's a new 'Thing' movie that's actually a prequel. It deals with the Nordic outcamp that first dealt with the alien entity. I haven't seen it so I have no idea if it's any good.

It's abysmally bad, in my opinion.

The Descent was a stupid movie, but I can think of worse things than watching six hot woman getting lost in a cave and climbing all over each other.

The Descent was a stupid movie, but I can think of worse things than watching six hot woman getting lost in a cave and climbing all over each other.

Worse things, sure - but if I want six hot women doing interesting things - there are other, more efficient, ways to accomplish watching that :)

Back
Top Bottom