ThinkProgress - Felicia Day Targeted in Hate Campaign

A posting that starts with a distortion of the facts cannot be taken seriously.

First interesting thing you wrote here. You perfectly described your own first post here which starts with that nonsense about "buying guilt". :)

No matter how hard some people try to add some sort of legitimization to the whole thing by claiming that it is a moral uproar about "corrupt journalists", it's still simply a lie.

No matter how hard some people try to add some sort of criminalisation to the whole thing by claiming that it is "hate campaign that started with people gleefully wishing to rape woman, to drive them into suicide" (your own words), it's still simply a lie. :)

As for GG, I wouldn't know the first thing about them - and I tend to not care about "movements" of any kind.

But if anyone representing or claiming to represent them have any supportive involvement in death threats - that's a very hard thing to escape from. I would hope they immediately dissasociated themselves from any such person or persons, or they're more or less asking for a shitstorm that will never end.

As for GG, I wouldn't know the first thing about them - and I tend to not care about "movements" of any kind.

But if anyone representing or claiming to represent them have any supportive involvement in death threats - that's a very hard thing to escape from. I would hope they immediately dissasociated themselves from any such person or persons, or they're more or less asking for a shitstorm that will never end.
GG actually has people on the watch who are the first to report any such threats to Twitter to have them removed. You remember that GG is about ethics in gaming industry and journalism, right?

GG actually has people on the watch who are the first to report any such threats to Twitter to have them removed. You remember that this whole affair is about ethics in gaming industry and journalism, right?

As I said, I don't know the first thing about them - and I don't care what it's about. I don't care if Felicia has a legitimate complaint or not - and I don't care if it's all a complete fabrication.

All I know is that Felicia Day is a prominent member of the RPG community and GG seem to be very much in the spotlight these days.

That's all I need to know to understand that it's relevant gaming-related news to some people. Not to me, certainly, as I don't give a shit about this kind of thing.

But it's obviously a topic that some people get very heated about, and as such - I think it should be debated openly.

Your point of view is appreciated - though you must understand that I have no reason to take it as some kind of truth, just because you say so. I'd have to care about it, to even consider if it was or not.

That said, it makes sense that a lot of people are extra irrational and heated in this thread, if they're affiliated with GG.

So, on that level - I suppose it was an interesting piece of information :)

Though I have to say I find the whole idea of "protecting ethics" in the industry ludicriously naive - unless they've found some kind of objective scale on which to measure when something is ethical or not. If not, they're in for one hell of a surprise when they discover just how differently people perceive ethics, even within a relatively small group. An explosion waiting to happen ;)

But that's hardly relevant here.

That said, it makes sense that a lot of people are extra irrational and heated in this thread, if they're affiliated with GG.

So, on that level - I suppose it was an interesting piece of information :)
Well, it was relevant in a way as the title of this thread is about a woman in gaming targeted in a hate campaign. The relevance is that the original "woman in gaming targeted in a hate campaign" faked similar threats in order to get rid of a competitor and used her connections in the industry to shut any critics up for good. Which didn't work completely, but we still see the effect now.

This doesn't make the threats against Felicia Day any better, so it's worth a message. However, the woman who started this is now on public panels talking about the harassing of women in gaming, and that she gets away with that simply breaks my irony meter.

But if anyone representing or claiming to represent them have any supportive involvement in death threats - that's a very hard thing to escape from. I would hope they immediately dissasociated themselves from any such person

They already dissasociated with them - If Im not mistaken there is one link to statement in Aubrielles post. I doubt that any decent vocal people have any supportive involvement in death threats - definitely not devs who did those interviews (links were here). Its a hashtag, crowd loosely connected by some problem and expressing their opinion. They can hardly identify and stop anyone who do anonymous abusive actions (outside of public space) or hides different motives behing the same tag. Of course its unfortunate, but… welcome to modern social media.

Unfortunately, in this case, it's the other way round. The "anonymous abusive actions" were the starting point of the whole thing (and yes, that's actually true, as it all started with people - men boys - reacting very extremely to the posting of a betrayed ex boyfriend - whose opinion of his ex girlfriend was, as any sane person would assume, not very good). Some people just didn't notice that attaching their legitimate concerns to it may not be the most wise of all ideas…

Well, it was relevant in a way as the title of this thread is about a woman in gaming targeted in a hate campaign. The relevance is that the original "woman in gaming targeted in a hate campaign" faked similar threats in order to get rid of a competitor and used her connections in the industry to shut any critics up for good. Which didn't work completely, but we still see the effect now.

This doesn't make the threats against Felicia Day any better, so it's worth a message. However, the woman who started this is now on public panels talking about the harassing of women in gaming, and that she gets away with that simply breaks my irony meter.

I wasn't present at any of the events, so I can't say who did what. That's one reason I usually stay away from specifics in cases like these. As such, I can't know what actually happened and doubt anyone outside of the people directly involved are capable of holding the complete picture given the heat of the topic.

I certainly have no intention of trusting anyone about it.

The only thing I cared about in this thread was that we don't start excluding news pieces because they don't suit any set of individuals - and that we don't start accusing the people who do the work of being politically corrupt unless we can establish such a thing for a fact.

Relevant topics should be completely at the discretion of those in charge - not the people consuming what they don't pay or work for in any way.

They already dissasociated with them - If Im not mistaken there is one link to statement in Aubrielles post. I doubt that any decent vocal people have any supportive involvement in death threats - definitely not devs who did those interviews (links were here). Its a hashtag, crowd loosely connected by some problem and expressing their opinion. They can hardly identify and stop anyone who do anonymous abusive actions (outside of public space) or hides different motives behing the same tag. Of course its unfortunate, but… welcome to modern social media.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as decent people of any kind that support death threats on any level, so I don't even think you have to doubt ;)

As for the group itself, as I said - I know next to nothing about them. But if their "mission" is, indeed, to protect ethics in the industry and in journalism - then I have to say I consider that a bad joke which must be based on complete ignorance when it comes to the human condition.

Even if they have some kind of rigid application process before you can be part of them, they'd have to be gods to determine what's ethical and what's not - and then protect that in the industry.

Frankly, it sounds like something a teenager would dream up one day as he was bored in a classroom.

However, as I don't actually know if that's their objective, I will give them the benefit of the doubt on that score ;)

From my experience, it seems a disturbing amount of people prefer being with avatars rather than real people. I suppose avatars have a much harder time breaking the illusions you create about the people you encounter in the world, real or otherwise.

From my experience, it seems a disturbing amount of people prefer being with avatars rather than real people. I suppose avatars have a much harder time breaking the illusions you create about the people you encounter in the world, real or otherwise.

Don't over analyze it, its "just" a fun song.

Mock, its ok. Its such a fun and silly song that it brings a smile to my face every time I listen to it.

So, whats it like being a Debbie Downer all the time?

Back
Top Bottom