Dark Souls - GFWL migration delayed

abharsair

Grumpmaster
According to an official post in the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Steam forums, the migration from GFWL (Games for Windows Live) to Steam has been delayed until December.

Attention Dark Souls fans!

- UPDATE 11/25/14 -
We are working hard to finalize the process to move your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die saves and achievements to Steam. We need to conduct additional testing and we are now targeting December to begin this process. We'll have more information in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for your patience!
More information.

Thanks for the update on this Abharsair, I'm definitely keen to know when this migration is complete and ready to go. Sounds like more work is involved as yet, so I may not get to testing my wacky thief build before finally tackling Dark Souls II for the first time this summer. So many more games to play in the meantime, so we'll see what happens. ;)

Thanks for the update on this Abharsair, I'm definitely keen to know when this migration is complete and ready to go. Sounds like more work is involved as yet, so I may not get to testing my wacky thief build before finally tackling Dark Souls II for the first time this summer. So many more games to play in the meantime, so we'll see what happens. ;)

Not to worry, you will not need any other game once you load up Dark Souls.:)

For sure, SpoonFull. I've been waiting for a long time now to dedicate myself fully to the task of exploring Dark Souls II after I picked up the Black Armour edition a while back.
The icing on the cake at this point would be for Steam to have the DLC season pass cheaper on sale come Christmas, then I'll be well and truly ready to go. :)

The icing on the cake at this point would be for Steam to have the DLC season pass cheaper on sale come Christmas, then I'll be well and truly ready to go. :)

Chance of a good sale price on Dark Souls 2 and/or its DLC isn't looking very good.

We did get 33% off last summer sale before the DLC was out…

But because of the news about the PS4, XBone and DX11 "enhanced graphics" versions, it looks kinda like they're gearing up to sell the game to PC users again. If this is the case they wont want to push sales of the dx9 version because if a new player picks this one up for $10 they'll be much less inclined to buy the "next-gen" version, which comes bundled with the DLC, at full price.

Rumour has it that the DX11 and DX9 versions will run on separate servers and won't be able to play online together.

Rumour also has it that this "enhanced" version is the one they were demoing before release which caused a lot of fuss when people compared the demo footage to the final game.

You're probably getting a bit annoyed already since you bought the dx9 version and likely won't have played it before the real version with the DLC is already out at the same price you paid. You might even think you have the dx11 version already because you bought the game based on the demo footage!

The PC online player base is pretty good, and passionate about the game, but according to steam it's only about 2,315 to 4,023 strong at the moment and not all of these people will be engaged in online play. To split this player base will harm the community and the reputation of the developer to no end. (Even though this kind of decision will have been made by the Japanese publisher Kadokawa who bought 80% of the company post Dark Souls 2 release.)

Some players will stay, some will buy the new version, but all of them will feel they should have got the DX11 version to begin with, or at least in a free update.

I guess we have to wait and see, but I fear the worst and this sort of thing really annoys me. We can already see how they employ shifty sales tactics from when they delayed the PC version a whole bloody month hoping people would get the console version first and then the PC version again soon after.

And it worked because that's exactly what I did.

I'm probably one of the few that was glad they didn't implement the lighting system they were showing.

Carry a torch or use a shield. Just seemed like an unnecessary and artificial way to add even more difficulty where it wasn't needed.

I finished Darks Souls II, and then recently completed Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is superior in my view, memorable, more mysterious and the lore is just fantastics and I was actually interested in knowing the background behind the NPCs and bosses in Dark Souls.

I would still like to go back to DS II as I don't think that I covered everything, and was thinking of doing so with the DLCs. I don't mind the graphics in DSII and I think they are done competently, but this news of paying for the DX11 version is very disturbing, and hope will not affect the DLCs when the sales arrive.

Unfortunately this is where the industry is going with enhanced, director's cut .. etc. versions (see GTA V, Metro).

Back
Top Bottom