Gothic 3 1.7 when?

When it's done:p

i'm afraid this might be a bridge too far with G4 coming up, not to mention continuous bug-fixes with G3:FG.

Head's up,here's some more info about CP 1.7.
The estimated release date is march.

Head's up,here's some more info about CP 1.7.
The estimated release date is march.

I wish I was more excited ... guess I'm still waiting for the bad taste of Forsaken Gods to wash away.

@JDR13: That's right, but the game is called Duke Nukem Fornever.

@txa1265: I can imagine after reading your review. I was actually thinking of buying it after it was patched up, but after the review I declined myself from it. Still I think Gothic 3 has some good things now. It just wasn't ready at release and I do blame both PB as Jowood for that. The first seems to have learned from the mistakes, the other didn't with the addon as evidence.

I wish I was more excited ... guess I'm still waiting for the bad taste of Forsaken Gods to wash away.
Oh come on after watching the teaser it still has not washed away?
Writing a review for FG can't be that bad...

After digging for a while in the german part of WoG I found that the patch may appear on some magazines.
If everything goes well, the patch will also appear in magazines. Consideration, we have at PC Games and PC Action.
My guess is that RoiDanton is talking about the german magazines,so if any of you lives in Germany and has trouble with downloading 800MB there's a fat chance that those 2 magazines will include it.

Oh come on after watching the teaser it still has not washed away?
Writing a review for FG can't be that bad...

I just need a couple of months before I can re-launch on Gothic 3 for another run. And since I uninstalled it completely recently that will work well. I really like G3 and it deserves another chance.

If the "Humanforce" integrated quests cannot be turned off by player selection, then not counting the improved playability, balancing, many bug-fixes, polishing etc' - this patch is actually a "mod" by definition - is it not?
Community Patch and Quest Pack are two separate projects,they will only be compatible with each other and nothing else.And since the Alternative AI and Alternative Balancing are by default disabled the CP 1.7 is by definition a patch.

This new patch is not developed by the community though, it's made by the makers of Gothic 4, right? I seem to recall something about them making a patch for G3 while working on G4.
Spellbound the developers of Arcania/Gothic 4 have helped the Community Patch Team with CP 1.6 on some technical aspects,and as far as I know they did not have anything to do with 1.7's development.
It certainly sounds a bit odd that a bunch of modders will patch in sword sounds, large scale rebalancing, massive changes to the AI (new melee system?), etc.

CPT received some tools from the publisher of Gothic 3,JoWooD,thus making all those changes possible

I played Gothic II w/ Night of the Raven and really loved some aspects of it. Although I never finished it, mostly because I went into it with a "Quake" mindset. Morrowind, World of Warcraft, most NA RPGs are very forgiving and you are not penalized for grabbing the nearest "power ups" and pewpewpewing to win the game.

At the time I think I grew frustrated at all the dying that these quake tactics were resulting in.

I followed G3 briefly, but quickly shied away at some of the 5/10 scores it was receiving.

If 1.7 comes out and is well received, I will probably purchase it as the timing will be good for pending completion of Drakensang.

Is there a particular version of Gothic 3 that should be sought out by someone who has held out this long?
I see gogamer has Gothic 3 for $33, FG for $15 or the CE (G3 + FE) for $40.

Thanks!

Just buy the cheapest version you can find, and ignore the add-on. The Universe Edition includes Gothic, G2 Gold and G3. The first Gothic, if you haven't played it yet, can be downloaded from GoodOldGames without DRM.
JoWooD will certainly put another G3 on the shelves when CP 1.7 is out.

JoWooD will certainly put another G3 on the shelves when CP 1.7 is out.
Seriously?

I mean Gothic is an old product which will get zero promotion from magazines and will most probably fail to do any decent numbers in 2009.

Moreover,it would be like trying to make money from the free work of the community,not that it's not good for business but it could be illegal or stuff.

Seriously?

Seriously. ;)

I mean Gothic is an old product which will get zero promotion from magazines and will most probably fail to do any decent numbers in 2009.
But it also has been paid for years ago. All JoWooD has to spend is 1,50$ for a DVD with case and inlet. They will reprint them as long as they can sell them to wholesale for more.
Furthermore it's also a service. I'm pretty sure there are people out there who would rather pay 10$ at retail to get a fully patched game than spend hours downloading and installing the CP. Time is money.

Moreover,it would be like trying to make money from the free work of the community,not that it's not good for business but it could be illegal or stuff.
Their work belongs to JoWooD. They use JoWooD's source code and JoWooD funded the team (details unknown; rather symbolic I assume) and paid Spellbound to help with CP 1.6.

Here's is some more info
RoiDanton said:

Before-After-Comparisons

1. Location: Cave near Silden

Cave CP 1.60 <> CP 1.70

The difference speaks for itself.

2. Edge Smoothing

Edge Smoothing CP 1.60 <> 1.70

Made with 4x AA.
    It is no real hardware AA but software AA with shader (comparable with MSAA). Edges are made smoother. It needs less performance than normal AA. Works also on vegetation (gras - e.g. ssaa). Can switch off/on - 2x or 4x.
    Why we haven't use hardware AA? Because it was too complex and it is not easy to make.

3. Water

Water CP 1.60 <> 1.70

Pay attention to the color and underwater edges.

Looks great can't wait to play it.
Some may not like the changes in the cave because it not unrealistic,but PBs didn't really succeeded on the "realistic" one

Moving to #8
RoiDanton said:

Before-After-Comparisons Part 2

1. Rim Lighting

Rim Lighting

This is Rim Lighting. You can use it with Shader 3.0 or higher.

2. Improved Textures

Improved textures

Wargs will have a different texture.
    Backsides of heads will have no "stitches" (gaps) anymore.
    The White Shadowbeast has the correct texture now. Normal shadowbeasts still have their usual texture, of course.

3. Improved Materials

Improved Materials

Some weapons got new "materials". But only some orc weapons will have this, it is not for all weapons. We added some missing bumpmaps.
    There are also a few new materials for walls and other items.

Will all the perks/skills work correctly now? It would be great if they could restore the "Army of Darkness" spell that the devs never finished.
Most likely, look here:

CPT: Will you reactivate the spell "Army of Darkness" with the next G3 CP 1.70?
There is one picture on the site of the Polish tester who have given some informations about the new patch. ;)

Back
Top Bottom