Video of Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

Kordanor

Wastelander
As the sending in news feature is currently broken I'll put it in here:

The German Magazine GameStar had the chance to take a look at the HD-Remake of Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. Even if you don't speak German you can get a first impression of the game. It's still an alpha version and all the graphics (and the performance) are not final (e.g. when resting they show a placeholder screen). Most of the old game mechanics are untouched though. For the music they use the HD version of the music which was already present on the CD version of the original game.
http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews,18/das-schwarze-auge-schicksalsklinge-hd,69946.html

Looks really good. I wonder what kind of system they were running that on because the framerate was quite low at times. Although I understand performance hasn't been fully optimized yet.

Looks really good. I wonder what kind of system they were running that on because the framerate was quite low at times. Although I understand performance hasn't been fully optimized yet.

Recording software tends to kill performance, I suspect that is main reason for bad frame rate.Game itself looks nice, I didn't play original RoA games I will probably correct that with this version.

Any info about who's making this remake ? Sorry, I found the correct page and it states that UIG Entertainment undertook this project (if my German serves me right ?).

Last edited:
I don't know who UIG is, but they re-released several "retro" games during the last 2 games - according to the shelves in my nearest Saturn electronic chain shops. Among them was the NLT, too.

If you're capable of the German language, then you should really pay "CRystal's DSA-Foren" a visit. They have a small English-language section as well, I think.

I assume that they know most about this remake there. They are all hardcore NLT players, some looked into the games even on bit level.

I think Arhu knows them, too. ;)

Would anyone like to translaste the highlights of the article? Going by the video, the game looks really good.

Outside looks good, inside and fighting looks not good.... but I guess they'll fix that for the release.

Would anyone like to translaste the highlights of the article? Going by the video, the game looks really good.

- The remake sticks closely to the original
- TB tactical combat as before, complex fights may take up to 20 minutes.
- A separte window can display the die rolls
- Travelling still via overland map and still requires careful management.
- However, local maps are now seamless.
- Imroved usability and UI:
- Tutorials now explain the game systems and controls.
- Drag and drop inventory
- Minimap
- Graphics: a mixed bag. Nice day and night cycle and weather effects, but frequently poor textures. No competition for recent AAA titles.
- In summary: faithful remake of the old game with updated graphics and user interface. 80 hours of gameplay for €20,-

Wow ... take my money please! :)

Fighting definetly looks too slow (if every single blow will be a cutscene). Other than that... I want that game!

If you're capable of the German language, then you should really pay "CRystal's DSA-Foren" a visit.
Thanks for the info but who or what are CRystal's DSA-Foren ? I tried to search for it but came up with nothing related to games ! Can you point to a website or something, please ?

Oh ! I tried another search for CRystal's DSA Foren (without the -) and that pointed to a forum (http://www.crystals-dsa-foren.de/) about the Northern trilogy (the nickname for Realms of Arkania trilogy) ! Thanks a lot Alrik (gonna struggle with my really basic German but that's worth it, I'm sure :eek:) ).

Thanks for the info but who or what are CRystal's DSA-Foren ? I tried to search for it but came up with nothing related to games ! Can you point to a website or something, please ?

Oh ! I tried another search for CRystal's DSA Foren (without the -) and that pointed to a forum (http://www.crystals-dsa-foren.de/) about the Northern trilogy (the nickname for Realms of Arkania trilogy) ! Thanks a lot Alrik (gonna struggle with my really basic German but that's worth it, I'm sure :eek:) ).

German language always uses a - for combining words - unlike in the English language.

And that I wrote "CRystal's DSA-Foren" was a typo. Recently I often tend to write things this : "ALrik.

"Foren" is the German plural form of "Forum".

And DSA (Das Schwarze Auge) is the German version of "TDE" (THe Dark Eye).

German fans always call the "Realms Of Arcania Trilogy" in short simply "NLT" = " Nordlandtrilogie".

And your link is correct. That's what I had meant. Some of the older developers sometimes post there (like Guido Henkel, for example).

German language always uses a - for combining words - unlike in the English language.
Shouldn't had forgot that from school even if it was a looong time ago :)

"Foren" is the German plural form of "Forum".
That I didn't know as in French we use Forum for singular and plural (sometimes you'll see Fora but that is incorrect). I took Latin too… but was a real jerk.

And DSA (Das Schwarze Auge) is the German version of "TDE" (THe Dark Eye). German fans always call the "Realms Of Arcania Trilogy" in short simply "NLT" = " Nordlandtrilogie".
That I knew well ;)

Some of the older developers sometimes post there (like Guido Henkel, for example).
I didn't know the old Gods were still visiting us ! The man's a real legend and deserves every bit of respect. I'll try my best improving my German, just to read what he has to say there, that'll be a good motivation. Thanks again for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom