Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake - Released

Having those fixes done before release would have been even better…

True, and this has probably cost them at least 50% of total post-release game sales ... but that ship has sailed. You can't undo a bad first impression.

I was hoping this game would appear on GOG as preorder and now it's released.
A pity. Is it?

Okay, so it's buggy. Who complains? All the same (Seam) community who praised and still praises - Skyrim. Hypocrisia at it's peak. I'm disgusted.

Shadowrun has unique circumstances in that there is no save game. The game saves when you enter a new area. Thus whenever I enter a new area I quit. And since my gaming time is limited. I typically play after work and after family time. I'm pretty tired by then and I can't afford to wander around and then start all over again due to not making the save location. Hence once I reach it, I'm done for the night. Haven't gotten very far but I will probably make a lot of progress this weekend.
For the xth time. I live in a small town where power surges are frequent for whatever reason. My UPS holds - sometimes. Sometimes it can't provide enough power for gfx card and PC restarts. Should I buy:
1. better and expensive (in fact proffessional) UPS just because of that?
2. an expensive gaming laptop so the battery covers for the problem?

Wait a minute, it's a game on PC. Not on phones, not on consoles. It's RPG and they've dared to make it as no savegames?

But it also echoes back to what GhanBuriGhan said - if you haven't bought yet, don't. Wait a few weeks and see how they are doing. If we are still dealing with some basic core issues, then we can assume that the game will be a buggy mess forever.
I'm adding my part to it. If you haven't bought this nosavegame game yet, don't. Ever.

For the xth time. I live in a small town where power surges are frequent for whatever reason. My UPS holds - sometimes. Sometimes it can't provide enough power for gfx card and PC restarts. Should I buy:
1. better and expensive (in fact proffessional) UPS just because of that?
2. an expensive gaming laptop so the battery covers for the problem?

Wait a minute, it's a game on PC. Not on phones, not on consoles. It's RPG and they've dared to make it as no savegames?

I'm adding my part to it. If you haven't bought this nosavegame game yet, don't. Ever.

It's honestly not a big deal. At least in the campaign, levels are very short, a couple of battles at most. If you lose power in the middle of a level, maybe you have to replay 5-10 minutes. Now, it could be worse if user-made campaigns with bigger levels can't solve the issue, as then you'd be losing more time.

To you it's not a big deal, to me it's something that should be discouraged by the audience. And the only way to explain those devs is not to buy the rotten phone/console inferior nosavegames design at all.

If they release the game on steam, I wonder why they didn't go for the Early Access option, at least, especially when the case appears to be innocent rather than a scam...

It seems I was somewhat right. :D

Patch 1.04 - July 31st, 2013 (8pm GMT+1)

• Translation: We’ll continue to improve english translation based on community reports
  • Texts: We’ll continue to remove placeholders based on community reports
  • Translation: fix half-translated character screen
  • Fights: Fix random Crashes
  • Fights: Remember Player Avatar setup
  • Fights: Fix Turn and Zoom buttons
  • Fights: Fix Camping Fightstart problems
  • Character: Fix Editor messing up Character Images
  • Character: All-to-Parry fix for new Characters
  • Lore Talents: Levelup max improve 3 points instead of 2

Patch 1.05 - August 1st, 2013 (8pm GMT+1) :smitten::wings::iloveyou::meditate::excited::love::clap::boogie::worship::handshake::party::flower::cm::floating::gorath:

I was hoping this game would appear on GOG as preorder and now it's released.
A pity. Is it?

Okay, so it's buggy. Who complains? All the same (Seam) community who praised and still praises - Skyrim. Hypocrisia at it's peak. I'm disgusted.

You honestly have to a be a running joke by now. You have some weird view that certain games should get overlooked if they are a buggy unplayable mess and then go on a rant about a universally highly praised RPG...yeah, not sure if you really have any idea what you are talking about.

It seems I was somewhat right. :D

• Translation: We’ll continue to improve english translation based on community reports
  • Texts: We’ll continue to remove placeholders based on community reports
  • Translation: fix half-translated character screen
  • Fights: Fix random Crashes
  • Fights: Remember Player Avatar setup
  • Fights: Fix Turn and Zoom buttons
  • Fights: Fix Camping Fightstart problems
  • Character: Fix Editor messing up Character Images
  • Character: All-to-Parry fix for new Characters
  • Lore Talents: Levelup max improve 3 points instead of 2

Patch 1.05 - August 1st, 2013 (8pm GMT+1) :smitten::wings::iloveyou::meditate::excited::love::clap::boogie::worship::handshake::party::flower::cm::floating::gorath:

There's also a 3rd patch scheduled for 2nd August. Hopefully it won't take much longer to make the game actually playable.

You're the first person I've heard say they've played Shadowrun, but not finished it.

Me too! I've restarted several times though, as is my wont.

You honestly have to a be a running joke by now. You have some weird view that certain games should get overlooked if they are a buggy unplayable mess and then go on a rant about a universally highly praised RPG…yeah, not sure if you really have any idea what you are talking about.

Sorry pal, I don't share your taste, I won't lie that I do and I won't shuddup when there is something I dislike just because an authority, in this case you, thinks I should.
The one who has no idea is not me. I'm full of ideas. Some others, like… well… let's skip that part as I don't like to be rude and insult ppl publically even if it's just returning them the favor… Definetly don't have any idea.

I said practically this - nosavegames in PC RPG is crap design and the game should not be bought only because of that, regardless bugs and other stuff. I'm not running a joke with that statement.

Well, I really meant your one millionth post about skyrim being a buggy mess inferring that it is as buggy as this mess...

i'll check this game out in a year. maybe. i'd rather play the original honestly.

You have a very black and white view of everything. What I said about Shadowrun is just that it's not too impressive for a $2M passion project using Kickstarter funds and I'm hoping other KS projects many of which made a fraction of that amount will make better use of their funds. I think it's an OK casual game and quite fun, or will be when they include a save game function (a better zoom would be good too).
I agree about Shadowrun. I don't entirely understand how we got so little game for $2M. Sort of wonder where all the money was spent. On art? Having entire budgets blown on fancy graphics (ala mainstream releases) is one the things I thought most of us were looking to avoid with Kickstarter projects.

On topic though, this remake has appeared on Metacritic now:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/realms-of-arkania-blade-of-destiny
No critic reviews, current user rating = 0.3.

I agree about Shadowrun. I don't entirely understand how we got so little game for $2M. Sort of wonder where all the money was spent. On art? Having entire budgets blown on fancy graphics (ala mainstream releases) is one the things I thought most of us were looking to avoid with Kickstarter projects.

On topic though, this remake has appeared on Metacritic now:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/realms-of-arkania-blade-of-destiny
No critic reviews, current user rating = 0.3.

horseshit. you got "so little game" from spending $20. the game in my mind was perfectly lengthed on that price point.

horseshit. you got "so little game" from spending $20. the game in my mind was perfectly lengthed on that price point.
You have no clue how much I spent. On average, Kickstarter backers put in >$50 into it.

edit for exact math: 36,275 people paid on average $50.63 for that game. If they'd all paid $20 instead, the game would have only raised $725,439. How long would it have been then? 4 hours?

New patch is out:

Fights: Fix random Crashes
Fights: Remember Player Fight Avatar setup (new Characters only)
Fights: Fix Turn and Zoom buttons
Character: All-to-Parry fix for new Characters
Character: Fix delete Character despite of Cancel
Character: Fix Scrollbar in Partymanager after first refresh
Character: Remove Levelup positive Attribute can fail
Character: Lore Talents Levelup max improve 3 points instead of 2
Character: Magician can now increase his schooled skills 3x (and try 5x)
Character: After Levelup Display Bugs removed
Tavern: Fix stealing response text, fix cheating result (latter: german only)
Translation: fix half-translated character screen
Trader: 999D Bug fixed
Character: Fix Editor messing up Character Images - not reproduceable anymore
Fights: Fix Camping Fightstart problems
Villages: Guards in Thorwal changed
Villages: Rovik Harbor update
Trader:Fixed choose but don’t pay for Items
Fights: Changed Damagetype of Ignifaxius from Magical to Fire
Character: Fix Item Description bug

You have no clue how much I spent. On average, Kickstarter backers put in >$50 into it.

edit for exact math: 36,275 people paid on average $50.63 for that game. If they'd all paid $20 instead, the game would have only raised $725,439. How long would it have been then? 4 hours?

who twisted your arm? your own hand that forked over so much cash? please.

who twisted your arm? your own hand that forked over so much cash? please.
Like I said, you have no clue how much I spent. Most people currently playing the game did not spend $20 though, so your original comment was ignorant. In any case, the entire point flew over your head.

They asked for $400K originally for a (presumably) $20 game, they ended up getting $1.85M or so to make it. If this is all we get for $1.85M, what were we going to get originally? It's a good question. Kickstarter backers gave more money in the hopes of getting a much better and bigger game. Now, granted, the Berlin campaign isn't out yet, but they admitted they spent all the Kickstarter money already, a few months ago in fact if I remember correctly. "Where'd it go" is a pretty decent question, I think.

Back
Top Bottom