Mass Effect 4 - Why Isn’t Commander Shepard Coming Back ?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Unigamesity is back again with another article about Bioware this time asking,"Why Isn’t Commander Shepard Coming Back?"

It has been confirmed that Mass Effect 4 will have a completely new focus, since Commander Shepard’s destiny has been fulfilled and there’s nothing much to go on about. There are mainly two reasons that won’t allow the hero of Mass Effect to return in upcoming games, at least not as a main character.

The first explanation is related to the protagonist’s storyline and its conclusion in the third game. The events of Mass Effect 3, where the Normandy’s Commander manages to become a legend responsible for saving the entire galaxy from extinction, established a closure for Shepard’s story – his physical death was a cruel, yet logical ending for a dignifying character like this one. Despite the negative reception of Shepard’s death, which was perceived as an utterly disappointment by the fans, BioWare’s solution was not dramatic or severe in my opinion.

Escaping death once again wouldn’t be any surprise for Commander Shepard but under the circumstances it would be more than astonishing, it would be ridiculous and completely fictional. This faith was inevitable and the most realistic one considering the sacrifices required to enable the catalyst. But this is not the only reason why BioWare isn’t bringing Shepard back in the fourth game.
More information.

I am Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite... wait.... WON'T?

Bah. Humbug. ME without Shepard ... it's like ice without cream, burger without meat, beer without alcohol, Marx without Groucho! Who wants that!?

Has Bioware not declared they want to make neither a prequel nor a sequel, simply a game set in the ME universe, without direct connections to the Sheppard's arc?

If so, why do players keep treating the incoming ME as a potential prequel or sequel?

It will be hard to beat Shepard. Best replacement would be Samantha Traynor or Jack style new and young commander/ newbie Lieutenant, fresh out of the academy.

It will be hard to beat Shepard. Best replacement would be {snip} Jack style new and young commander
Good heavens, no! Anything but an angsty, barely out of his/her teens whiner with an attitude, who's trying hard to prove him/herself while still being a mega-gifted prodigy all the same (of course). Anything but that.

What about a daughter of an old space pirate/smuggler trying to make money for a living?

Rescueing the universe gets old.

If they called it Mass Effect- A new beginning , instea of MAss Effect 4... they'd have avoided a lot of that.

I think it's a good thing Shepard is not coming back. Spares him/her any more "artistic freedom" of the same incompetents who wrote the ME3 ending.

His/Her death was the best part of it.

The fans didn't rage because of the heroic death but because no other segment of the ending EXCEPT his death made any sense whatsoever (and because no matter what you did during the 3 part campaign you still got the RGB endings)

Why do the bloggers and devs keep marginalizing their fans? I couldn't sleep for 2 days after I finished the game, that's how depressed I was (even though my character didn't die, he kept breathing in some rubble) It was because of the sudden simplicity, as if the ending wasn't directed by the same brilliant people!

What about a daughter of an old space pirate/smuggler trying to make money for a living?

Rescueing the universe gets old.

I second that

Has Bioware not declared they want to make neither a prequel nor a sequel, simply a game set in the ME universe, without direct connections to the Sheppard's arc?

If so, why do players keep treating the incoming ME as a potential prequel or sequel?

True, but the vast majority of fans, via 3rd-party polls, have said they don't want a prequel, at least. BioWare has been known to travel their own route, but it would be a huge "against the grain" move to do so. I wouldn't want a parallel story, either.

I'm also afraid that the producers are really giddy with this whole Cerberus concept, which is just too bad. I never really thought the "secret agent in space" schtick was all that interesting to begin with, but it meshed well enough with the ME2 story. To go back to it now, I think, would really be beating a dead horse.

But I think we're going to see the ME4 PC being some sort of Cerberus operative, anyway.

I pretty much hate prequels whether it be book, movie, or game. I dislike going backwards when I already know what is going to happen. Not sure why I feel that strongly about it though ... just do. I can deal with it a little if it is way, way in the past ... although I still tend to prefer a future setting myself.

I think it's pretty clear that the ME universe is larger than any of its individual characters and personalities. The shift in focus should hopefully enable the series to get a fresh start.

Too bad liberacci is dead, he'd make a perfect replacement.

Back
Top Bottom