The rape culture that almost make me puke

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
This post will be mostly ramblings, capital letters and cursewords, because sometimes a calm, rational tone do not cut it so sorry but here goes:

"The pictures from Steubenville don’t just show a girl being raped.
They show that rape being condoned, encouraged, celebrated."

From the article in Newstatesman; "Steubenville Rape Cultures Abu Ghraib Moment".

there was no question that Mays and Richmond are guilty: there is enough film, photographic and text message evidence to make the case clear. The arguments in their defence, instead, revolve around the notion that these boys, beloved athletes in a town where football is everything, did nothing wrong when they assaulted their helpless victim. They are tragic heroes who were just having fun, like young men do, and the pictures prove it. Everyone looks so happy. High-profile rape cases have happened in American football towns many times before - remember the cheerleader who was forced to cheer for her rapist? - but Steubenville is different. The pictures make it different. What the Steubenville footage recalls most chillingly is the torture photographs from Abu Ghraib prison almost a decade earlier, showing American soldiers in Iraq smiling chummily around the prone bodies of political prisoners.

But this isn't just the defense. No.

This tumblr have been posting updates for days now, showing a culture that condone, encourage and celebrate the perpetrators and vilify THE VICTIM!?

I am sorry, but
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG?

If these dudes cant help RAPING A WOMAN THEY SHOULDN'T FUCKING DRINK!!! How the FUCK can ANY crime be ok just because the victim is drunk!? Robbery? Murder? And is there any more blatant way you CAN resign your career than raping someone!?

Petition to ask CNN to apologize for their report where they cry their heart out for the RAPISTS "who's lives are destroyed" without saying a single word on the VICTIM they destroyed?

flHeGtgYPJaTaXs-556x313-noPad.jpg

The two boys were prosecuted and convicted of rape and are being sent to a prison for juveniles.

Did you really think a collection of Twitter comments from some ignorant people reflects an entire culture?

You seem to be getting your info from the National Enquirer, JemyM. Next to the Bigfoot photos, perhaps?

I think JDR covered the basics, but it should also be mentioned that the prosecutor intends to continue going after a broader net of people associated with the crime, including an investigation of the police. The only unfortunate thing about the legal proceedings is that several kids that should have gotten strung up for not helping were given immunity if they'd testify against the 2 perps.

CNN (and Poppy Harlow in particular) was broadly slaughtered nationwide for their poor coverage decisions.

edit- would be nice if JemyM and his ilk would show this much concern and outrage for murder victims. Perhaps he's ready to endorse the death penalty now? Or will he continue to join the candlelight vigils where we feel sorry for people convicted of horribly violent murders?

Did you really think a collection of Twitter comments from some ignorant people reflects an entire culture?

Yes. .

Far be it from me to side with Jemy, but it was definitely more than the two boys. I read a really long write up on the things that have been going on in that town for decades. It all centers around their high school football coach. Being a Texan, I love high school football, but the way it seems to be glorified and protected in that town makes what happened at Penn State seem almost pedestrian.

edit- would be nice if JemyM and his ilk would show this much concern and outrage for murder victims. Perhaps he's ready to endorse the death penalty now? Or will he continue to join the candlelight vigils where we feel sorry for people convicted of horribly violent murders?
I have no sympathy for murderers. I used to be pro death penalty and I still am in theory and morally.

I have no sympathy for murderers. I used to be pro death penalty and I still am in theory and morally.
I seem to remember you being rather vocal about how it was so barbaric and reflected the twisted American culture (along with numerous other enlightened folks), but perhaps my memory fails me. If so, my apologies for lumping you in with them.

I seem to remember you being rather vocal about how it was so barbaric and reflected the twisted American culture (along with numerous other enlightened folks), but perhaps my memory fails me. If so, my apologies for lumping you in with them.

If I did, I did so for trolling. The only reason I am not so fond over the death penalty today is due to a famous Swedish case of a serial killer that wasn't. Since I often used Quick as my own argument for, it's appropriate for me to retract that position. And considering what I do, I feel partially responsible to make sure there are no future victims of bad psychology.

Far be it from me to side with Jemy, but it was definitely more than the two boys. I read a really long write up on the things that have been going on in that town for decades. It all centers around their high school football coach. Being a Texan, I love high school football, but the way it seems to be glorified and protected in that town makes what happened at Penn State seem almost pedestrian.

I get the impression that JemyM is referring to the US as a whole, not the small group of people involved in that incident.

Of course I can understand how someone who's never even been to the US and reads tabloid-like blogs thinks he knows a lot more about it than he actually does.

I get the impression that JemyM is referring to the US as a whole, not the small group of people involved in that incident.

No. I am referring to "rape culture". The label sums up various ideas that promote sympathy for the perpetrator, vilifies or put blame on the victim and a legal system that put unnecessary strain on the victim. This should no longer exist within the western civilization and yet it does and it seems especially common in smaller communities. We have had similar cases in Sweden where communities completely destroyed the victim and promoted the perpetrator, until the whole thing was exposed on national TV. But what's special in this case is the larger scale of it.

Off-topic but Kennedy was a scumbag unworthy of quotation signature inclusion.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/inside_my_teen_affair_with_jfk_FGF4aS7OdoQozP4tyySsmK

“Haven’t you done this before?” he asked.

“No,” she said.

“Are you OK?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said.

So he kept going, this time a little more gently.

“After he finished, he hitched up his pants and smiled at me” and pointed her to the bathroom.

When she was finished, he was outside in the West Sitting Hall, where their evening had begun.

“I was in shock,” she writes. “He, on the other hand, was matter-of-fact, and acted as if what had just occurred was the most natural thing in the world.”

“He had been guilty of an even more callous and unforgivable episode at the White House” during a noon swim. Powers had rolled up his pants to cool his feet in the water. “The president swam over and whispered in my ear. ‘Mr. Powers looks a little tense,’ he said. ‘Would you take care of it?’

“It was a dare, but I knew exactly what he meant. This was a challenge to give Dave Powers oral sex. I don’t think the president thought I’d do it, but I’m ashamed to say that I did . . . The president silently watched.”

Alford, then Mimi Beardsley, says that later the president apologized to them both.

Interesting article, thanks Michael.

Although I don't see him as much of a monster myself, more a person of mixed qualities.

I'm with Jemy in terms of what it means to be a celebrated sports star in modern culture.

The amount of slack you can expect because you've chosen to kick a fucking ball around some field (or whatever) - is unbelievable.

But, I feel that way about everything related to "popular people" in world society.

It's a sick fantasy that billions of people endorse.

India has a kind of "rape culture", too.

Recently, a young woman from Swiss ( ! ) was raped - 8 attackers attacked her and her husband, chained him, and raped her, with him helpless to see her being raped.

The police almost too soon found "the usual suspects", meanwhile everyone knows that India's police is totally corrupt, and the lawyers probably, too.
The newspaper article stated that India's police is well known to use torture for getting "statements".

An article stated that the lawyers/the police might perhaps hope that she'll leave the country soon, so that they can "bury" that case - like thousands of others.

By the way, there have been newspaper critique articles about a new movie called "Spring Break" - which is said to show that the ultimate goal of the current student generations has become nothing but hedonism.

If that is so, then this raping could be a sign of this hedonism, too : "Everything for me." And : "I don't care about what might become of the others."

So after reading Jemy's posts I now have the impression that in the US, gang rapes are public events. The perp's are being cheered on by specially trained gymnasts, and you can eat hotdogs while watching. Is this close to the truth y/n?

If you're gonna troll, you can't be so obvious about it. Take some pride in your craft.

he's talking about a "rape culture" and especially close-knit, if not incestuous, communities also obsessed with sports. No trolling required.

I'm with you on that, totally. For those who responded to JemyM above, go watch this women's video on this very subject : WTF HAPPENED IN STEUBENVILLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z86oaQ4aLcM&feature=em-uploademail

She's broad and direct but I completely agree with most of her views on the subject ; as she says : Silence ISN'T consent ! Go Laci, go !

Yeah, was about to post Laci's video here myself (been subscribed to her for years).

Back
Top Bottom