Skyrim - Special Edition October 28th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN The Skyrim Special Edition has gone gold which means the discs have been printed and the system specs released for its October 28th release.

If you didn't already know, this remaster of Bethesda's RPG epic overhauls art and effects, and also adds god rays, dynamic depth of field, screen-space reflections and even new snow and water shaders.

All this makeover work obviously means it won't run on the same potato you used to play Skyrim the first time around, so here are the new system requirements:

Minimum

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
Nvidia GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
Nvidia GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

It's still pretty easy to run, then, thankfully.

Great news for anyone who already owns Skyrim, as us PC players will be getting the upgrade absolutely free. What a time to be alive.
More information.

I already said touched up graphics wouldn't be enough to get me to do another playthrough, but I might have lied. Kinda getting the itch again. I'll have to wait to see about mod compatibly though as I haven't and won't play vanilla.

My thoughts exactly saki.

Well, the change in architecture means that there will need to be a new SKSE and a bunch of mods will need updating. I'll probably install the new Skyrim to a different directory and then wait for a while before indulging. Fortunately, CBBE (female nude skin mod) shouldn't need anything, so all is not lost :)

I do plan on another play, but not with this one. I want to complete my Achievements, and SE is considered a different game so I would have to start over... no thank you!

I do plan on another play, but not with this one. I want to complete my Achievements, and SE is considered a different game so I would have to start over… no thank you!

How is it considered a different game? I thought it was just a graphical makeover.

How is it considered a different game? I thought it was just a graphical makeover.

It will be a separate game in the Steam library like an all new game with its own achievements etc.

It will be a separate game in the Steam library like an all new game with its own achievements etc.

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been following it very closely. So, is it also an update for those who already ow Skyrim? Or do we have to purchase a whole separate game?

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been following it very closely. So, is it also an update for those who already ow Skyrim? Or do we have to purchase a whole separate game?

Everyone who either owns the Legendary Edition OR the original Skyrim + all DLCs will be getting a new Skyrim Remastered booked automatically into their Steam library on 10/28.

Ha! My potato has grown a million times stronger since then! Well... I guess not a million... maybeeee 4? Ish?

It has probably turned into fries by now :) .

Well, the change in architecture means that there will need to be a new SKSE and a bunch of mods will need updating. I'll probably install the new Skyrim to a different directory and then wait for a while before indulging. Fortunately, CBBE (female nude skin mod) shouldn't need anything, so all is not lost :)

You do know they would not need a new SKSE as that is there to make up for the low memory due to the 32 bit game, it will now be 64 bit so it won't need it.

SKSE includes a fix for memory allocation problems, but that's just one small element of what it does. It gives modders a whole scripting language beyond what the the Creation Kit allows, and tons of mods rely on it.

Wonder if this will allow higher stable ugrids adjustments or fix the 60+ hz physics bug.

I may not play through it again but at the very least I'll take a stroll through the woods until I run into a damn bear.

Does this "special" edition include no_mobrespawns option?

Back
Top Bottom