BioWare - Freaking out the Neighbors

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bioware released the second audio only video from their GaymerX 2014 panel. The video has no transcript Log for those interested in just reading it.

Freaking out the Neighbors: What is "good representation" in games and why would anyone be opposed to it? Considering the romance elements in BioWare games, we've heard it all, and it's worth discussing where some of these feelings come from and how it's possible for a developer to be inclusive in a way we can feel good about. Let's talk about where this is going for the industry and what expectations LGBTQ fans have.
More information.

They have nothing special to say about the gameplay, don't they? Not like it is the most important part of a game.
It's their copy pasted story, their copy pasted characters, copy pasted mechanics with new shiny graphics sprinkled with badly written LGBT agenda.

They have nothing special to say about the gameplay, don't they? Not like it is the most important part of a game.
It's their copy pasted story, their copy pasted characters, copy pasted mechanics with new shiny graphics sprinkled with badly written LGBT agenda.
In-case you haven't noticed GaymerX is about the LGBT gaming community. The topics in the video may not be important to you , but they are important to them.

Your free to ignore anything I post about the game.:)

Anyway check out the news archive on our site for game-play videos, and other information that has been available for months.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/news?ref=0&id=509

Last edited:
I'm not sure why we're looking to gay sites for rpg news….Sometimes silence is okay. I'm sure I read something about Dragon Age on Adopt-a-pet, but since this isn't a site about dogs and cats……

I could be wrong. We may have a large gay/bi/transgender audience and I'm just unaware. Nah!

:D I'm just poking fun folks. I could care less about the link

In-case you haven't noticed GaymerX is about the LGBT gaming community. The topics in the video may not be important to you , but they are important to them.

Your free to ignore anything I post about the game.:)

You completely missed the point. All the news around the game are about those awfully written romances (all kind of romances) and we get nothing of importance about the gameplay. I've only read negative stuff, no evolution since Origins in any mechanism of the game. Trust me, I'm going to ignore DAI since it is an EA production but I'd like to read something interesting/ useful about it once.

Since when is GaymerX - a gay site?
These news are given as important also on official Bioware board so why would it be skipped on our newsboard?

But the whole thing behind it is obvious. Gaider "sells" DA3 as the first game that respects LGBT community which is far from truth. It's not the first.
As Couch said somewhere, Gaider is easy to hate type of a person. EA probably adores him as he boosts sales.

Articles relevant to LGBTQ inclusion matter to me. A lot, actually.

Thank you, Couch - sincerely - for posting articles and newsbits like these. Like Joxer said, they're important on a Bioware site, so why would RPG Watch not include them?

Since when did Bioware SP gameplay become interesting? They lost me on that count years ago… The NPCs are the most entertaining aspects of their recent games (except for ME3 multiplayer gameplay, which was HOT). :)

Since when did Bioware SP gameplay become interesting? They lost me on that count years ago… The NPCs are the most entertaining aspects of their recent games (except for ME3 multiplayer gameplay, which was HOT). :)

Agreed, fully.

Have you seen any of the playthroughs yet for DA:I? I'm not exactly a champion for Bioware gameplay, but the gameplay and game concept look pretty hot themselves. Combat looks gritty and brutal and urgent, and it seems way more open world than earlier titles in the franchise. ^.^ I could be getting my hopes up prematurely, but this title could easily have interesting characters as well as exciting gameplay. I'm not boiling over with optimism, but I'm at least decently excited to see this game.

I haven't really enjoyed the gameplay in a Bioware game since DA:O.

Neither have I, but since the gameplay in DA:O was the gameplay I've enjoyed most of all, pretty much ever, I remain very interested in what they now do with the series, especially as they've more or less acknowledged that DA2 was in many ways a misstep.

Well, we can be hopeful. Just bringing back the tactical overhead view, is a BIG plus. But won't pre-order (yet), like I did for DA:O. :)

Last edited:
Neither have I, but since the gameplay in DA:O was the gameplay I've enjoyed most of all, pretty much ever, I remain very interested in what they now do with the series, especially as they've more or less acknowledged that DA2 was in many ways a misstep.

Personally, I don't think it can hold a candle to Baldur's Gate, but it's by far their best modern title at least.

Personally, I don't think it can hold a candle to Baldur's Gate, but it's by far their best modern title at least.

I love the BG series a lot ("You must gather your party before venturing forth" is the text alert on my phone), but I think if you look back without nostalgia, you have to acknowledge that there are many things about 2nd ed. D&D that either don't sit comfortably in a videogame or are just silly in themselves (like the multiclass vs dual-class rules).

I love the BG series a lot ("You must gather your party before venturing forth" is the text alert on my phone), but I think if you look back without nostalgia, you have to acknowledge that there are many things about 2nd ed. D&D that either don't sit comfortably in a videogame or are just silly in themselves (like the multiclass vs dual-class rules).

Oh I agree. I don't miss THACO, and some of the race/class restrictions definitely didn't make much sense.

That said, Dragon Age is a little too simplified for my taste. I don't care for some of the modern day "conveniences" such as shared inventory and no encumbrance rules. Although I realize I'm probably in the minority on that.

Oh I agree. I don't miss THACO, and some of the race/class restrictions definitely didn't make much sense.

That said, Dragon Age is a little too simplified for my taste. I don't care for some of the modern day "conveniences" such as shared inventory and no encumbrance rules. Although I realize I'm probably in the minority on that.

I actually like THAC0.

But I'm with you on the other things. And sadly, more simplified = more sales in the eyes of most developers nowadays.

I loved THACO and also class and race restrictions. It made me really have to plan out my party.

I'm fond of overly complicated, stat heavy game mechanics though. Learning how everything works is as much fun as playing the game for me.

That's one of the things that drew me in to dark souls as well. I spent tons of time figuring out what every player and weapon stat did and how they all worked together.

I loved THACO and also class and race restrictions. It made me really have to plan out my party.

I'm fond of overly complicated, stat heavy game mechanics though. Learning how everything works is as much fun as playing the game for me.

That's one of the things that drew me in to dark souls as well. I spent tons of time figuring out what every player and weapon stat did and how they all worked together.

You and I may be separated at birth :D. I love complex RPG systems.

You and I may be separated at birth :D. I love complex RPG systems.

Am I sensing a couple of The Dark Eye tabletop fans?

Back
Top Bottom