Voting: Game of the Year

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
"Vote Now in Round One of the Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2014."

16 games are pit against each other one-on-one in 8 popular votes. The game that receives the most votes advances to the next round while the loser is eliminated from your hearts and souls. You have one week to vote."

You have to register to vote, and I don't really see a game I want to vote for.
Oh, The Stick of Truth is among them? I should register then.

YAWN!!!!! Big YAWN!!!!! and not because I am getting older and the wife and I went and saw slipknot the other night.

The game of the year and maybe of the last 10 years is D:OS.

That's a bit extreme, yes IMO also it's GOTY of 2014. but in last 10 years, cmon, it's not.

Escapist is however being rediculous.
First, not all 2014. games are out. For example noone saw Raven's Cry yet that was delayed to mid december. What if it is so good it outshines all other games?
And second, from all games released this year, they totally ignore top10 games from metacritic (no matter how actually bad metacritic is) and put as runnerup Titanfall and Destiny? Their vote is IMO a joke or was paid for by certain publishers.

For me the game of the year is Lords of Xulima, it's the first game in forever that is not ashamed to be hard and it makes brilliant use of skills.

Semifinals on Escapist (to vote you need to register, so… skippit).

Standings:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/20

Clash #1: Dragon Age 3 vs Dark Souls 2
Clash #2: Shadow of Mordor vs The Stick of Truth

For the second one, dunno anything about SoM's story so… But just won't accept it can beat TSoT's humor. In the end we'll see are escapist's members more into hilarious stuff or are just inot you need 6Gb VRAM for ultra graphics whoring (this, right?). :evilgrin:

The first one however is a tough call.
I didn't play (nor will) Dark Souls 2 so you tell me, which one of these two games persuaded people more that grinding is fun, that grinding is good, that your gamer's life depends on grinding? :evilgrin:

Seems DA3 got grinding better.

In the grad finale registered members of Escapist will choose between DA3 and SoM:

Again, dunno anything about SoM except that I won't buy it, can anyone predict the outcome here?

Meanwhile Escapist revealed nominations that'll be voted by staff. RPGs are obviously nominated strictly if on consols (you can't not notice the first entry):
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ominees-for-Game-of-the-Year-Best-Movie-of-.3

Game of the year nominees however are not restricted like that. The nominations are made like this. If not on consoles, then they must be phonegames:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...ominees-for-Game-of-the-Year-Best-Movie-of-.6

Disgusting.

Semifinals on Escapist (to vote you need to register, so… skippit).

Standings:

Clash #1: Dragon Age 3 vs Dark Souls 2
Clash #2: Shadow of Mordor vs The Stick of Truth

For the second one, dunno anything about SoM's story so… But just won't accept it can beat TSoT's humor. In the end we'll see are escapist's members more into hilarious stuff or are just inot you need 6Gb VRAM for ultra graphics whoring (this, right?). :evilgrin:

The first one however is a tough call.
I didn't play (nor will) Dark Souls 2 so you tell me, which one of these two games persuaded people more that grinding is fun, that grinding is good, that your gamer's life depends on grinding? :evilgrin:

Dark souls 2 doesn't have endless respawns. monsters will only spawn 10 times. Also it's based much more on player skill than stats so grinding isn't required.

DS2 combat is infinitely better than DAI's. So if your just judging combat it's not even close.

As for Shadows of mordor vs DAI.

I think it comes down to SOM's combat and nemesis system vs DAi's story and companions.

Since i'm a combat first guy SOM easily wins.

Honestly unless they fix the combat in DAI, I would rather play DA2 again. The combat is that bad to me.

I wasn't a fan of the re-spawn system in Shadow of Mordor. I do agree the nemesis system made the game interesting, but I still got bored quickly.

I also never finished a single Dark Soul game either as they're not my cup of tea as the saying goes. Yet again that's just my preference, and not bashing the games.

As for DA:I while it has faults I still enjoyed all three of my replays, and as I said before it would be my third of fourth pick on any Game of the Year poll.

I said it before my top five games of 2014 are as follows.

1. Divine Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. The Banner Saga
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Might & Magic X: Legacy

Last edited:
"Vote Now in Round One of the Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2014."

16 games are pit against each other one-on-one in 8 popular votes. The game that receives the most votes advances to the next round while the loser is eliminated from your hearts and souls. You have one week to vote."

Out of those 16 games i only played Dark souls 2 and Transistor and neither is goty candidate.I probably won't touch the rest.

1. Divine Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. The Banner Saga
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
5. Might & Magic X: Legacy

I agreed with your top 2 :)

I have 2 more my potential goty candidates to finish(Dreamfall chapters and neo scavenger) but so far my list looks like:

1.Divine Divinity: Original Sin
2.Wasteland 2
3Legends of grimrock 2
4.Shadowrun: Dragonfall
5.Valkyria chronicles

The main problem for me is the abundance of RPG games in 2014 make it hard to pick a definite top five. I also like your top five list except for Legends of Grimrock 2.:)

On the negative side I still haven't finished Valkyria Chronicles, or Shadowrun: Dragonfall, as I still have way to many new games to play on my new backlog list.

1) Divine Divinity: Original Sin
2) Valkyria Chronicles
3) Lords of Xulima
4) Wasteland 2
5) Might & Magic X: Legacy
6) Blackguards
7) State of Decay
8) Legends of Grimrock 2
9) Rollers of the Realm
10) Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD

How good is Joe Dever's Lone Wolf HD? I keep hearing good things about the game on Steam. So whats your opinion on the game HiddenX? I may buy the game if its good.o_O

It's a game book with lot's of time based combat with cooldowns (quite challenging). Many c&c, memorable characters. Nice presentation. I played through it without a longer stop.
It was the first gamebook for me in decades and I liked it. The Lone Wolf story was completely new to me.

Peh... Whatever guys, I don't see The Stick of Truth in anyone's top 5... You din't play it or it wasn't fun enough? :p

Have to start Wasteland 2... Hopefully the actual annual poll on watch won't happen too soon.

Peh… Whatever guys, I don't see The Stick of Truth in anyone's top 5… You din't play it or it wasn't fun enough? :p
Sorry Joxer Stick of Truth doesn't deserve to be on any top five list, and I did play the game when it finally released on the PC earlier this year.:p
It's a game book with lot's of time based combat with cooldowns (quite challenging). Many c&c, memorable characters. Nice presentation. I played through it without a longer stop.

It was the first gamebook for me in decades and I liked it. The Lone Wolf story was completely new to me.
Thank you for your opinion HiddenX I'll buy the game since its on sale.:thumbsup:

1) Legend of Grimrock 2 (Loved it - even bought a mug and hoodie to say thanks to Almost Human; if there was a collectors edition, I'd be all over it!)
2) Divinity: Original Sin
3) Blackguards
4) Might and Magic X: Legacy

I didn't play too many new games in 2014, but these would be my selections. I'm not generally big on playing games as soon as they come out. If I could include Telltale's Walking Dead Season 1 (2012), it'd be right up there for emotional impact, simplicity of game-play and immersion of story-telling.

That said, with the holiday season upon us, I have just begun my adventure into Dark Souls 2, which like I did with the first game, will post some impressions on soon.

Sorry Joxer Stick of Truth doesn't deserve to be on any top five list, and I did play the game when it finally released on the PC earlier this year.:p
It deserves to be on mine. I'm still unsure will it be #1 or #2. :D

1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Val Chronicles
3. Witcher 2
4. South Park - Stick of Truth
5. Dishonored

Honorable mention to Rollers of the Realm and The Stanley Parable for originality.

Yeah, I know they didn't all come out in 2014. I get to'm when I get to'm.

Back
Top Bottom