Fallout 3 - New Screens @ Official Site

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft has kicked up three new screens for Fallout 3, showing Megaton, the PipBoy3000 and someone getting gibbed. Here's a sample:
screen20B.jpg
More information.

I'd missed the screenie with the party hats. I like that one.

Not so sure about the orcs and the zombies. And I certainly wouldn't read much into the absurd HP/AP counts -- they'll definitely be doing the demos in some kind of god-mode.

The landscape art at least looks great. Of course I thought that about Oblivion too, and for me at least the geometry popup and distance texture pop-in were a real downer. I hope they have solved these issues - if the key attraction is to have eye candy, do it right.

This game is supposed to be primarily first-person right? Just curious why all the screenshots I've seen show it in 3rd person.

I'd missed the screenie with the party hats. I like that one.

Not so sure about the orcs and the zombies. And I certainly wouldn't read much into the absurd HP/AP counts -- they'll definitely be doing the demos in some kind of god-mode.

No reason to assume the screenshots are from the demo build, though. Some of these are obviously posed (and probably polished), and probably just from the most recent build (2.8a as Todd Howard calls it)

Still no reason to add credence to weird numbers, tho'

This game is supposed to be primarily first-person right? Just curious why all the screenshots I've seen show it in 3rd person.

Didn't they state that the 3rd person stuff was going through a revamp from the Oblivion one because it wasn't regarded as being all that great?

Not so sure about the orcs and the zombies.

Some of the screen shots look like supermutants and ghouls which were in the other two Fallouts, too.

why all the screenshots I've seen show it in 3rd person.

Go look at the images at that link. At least half are first person.

I actually really like what I'm seeing so far.
Some of it I like too. I prefer third person, Gothic style, so I hope they sort that out. I agree the popup was a damned nightmare in Oblivion. I'm reasonably sure it can turned off altogether (ie. no grass at all) though.

I pre-ordered for the Vault lunchbox... that doesn't make me a fanboi, does it?

Some of the screen shots look like supermutants and ghouls which were in the other two Fallouts, too.

Only the supermutants and ghouls didn't look much like the critters in these screenies. Many of the supermutants were in close-ups, and they looked nothing like this one; IIRC the only ghoul we saw up close was Harold, and he looked nothing like these zombies either.

Only the supermutants and ghouls didn't look much like the critters in these screenies. Many of the supermutants were in close-ups, and they looked nothing like this one; IIRC the only ghoul we saw up close was Harold, and he looked nothing like these zombies either.

:nerd-mode: Harold's technically not a ghoul :nerd-mode:
(I love the Harold = not a ghoul but an FEV mutant bit, it's what proves Fallout fandom is at least as bad as Transformer fandom)

That said, the ghoul you see in Fallout is Set. And yeah, Harold kinda counts too.

The supermutants are staggeringly unlike the originals. The ghouls? Well, these are feral ghouls in these screenshots, dunno if the talking ghouls look way different and less leaping zombie-like.

(I love the Harold = not a ghoul but an FEV mutant bit, it's what proves Fallout fandom is at least as bad as Transformer fandom)
Unless you prefer Chris Taylor's version of ghoul origin over Tim Cain's. In that case, all ghouls are FEV mutants like Harold.

I was under the assumption that all ghouls were FEV mutants like Harold. What's the other story for their origin? (Set and Harold look rather similar, don't you think?)

More than you imagine Optimus Prime.

There was a 'dip' in the Transformers movie also.

I was under the assumption that all ghouls were FEV mutants like Harold. What's the other story for their origin? (Set and Harold look rather similar, don't you think?)

As Ausir mentioned it's contested, but Tim Cain holds that ghouls were caused by an overdue exposure to radiation leakage in the Necropolis Vault (Vault 12), without FEV being involved. Chris Taylor said it's a combination of FEV in the air (from the Glow) and radiation.

There's no real canon but I think most people prefer Tim Cain's version (MCA in his Fallout bibles also turned to Cain in the end, I think). That means that while most ghouls are just ghouls from Vault 12 (or other specific radiation-leakage hothouses), both Harold and the dude you meet in LA (Talius) aren't ghouls, but ghoul-likes from a specific kind of exposure to FEV - not a full-on long dip like the supermutants get, but something else. Talius says something along the lines of being saved before he could "turn into a full-fledged monster".

Either way Talius and Harold are from the Vats, ghouls are from Vault 12.

And regardless of anything, Harold is special.

Ghouls being created solely by radiation was canon as far as Van Buren is concerned, since that's the version Chris Avellone eventually chose after a lengthy argument in the Fallout Bibles, but it's unknown whether Bethesda will go for the Chris Taylor version or the Tim Cain version.

Back
Top Bottom