The Scoundrels Guild - 2nd Kickstarter Failed

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it seems developer Adam Mayhem had no luck getting his game The Scoundrels Guild funded on his second attempt at crowd-funding. Anyway here are the details.

This is the end...

Well, it looks like strike two for the Scoundrels Guild, and that's fine, we're not going to get all depressed about it. We will continue to focus on making the game and hopefully someday we can get some sort of funding. Since this project won't be cheap to make, voice actors and modelers want to get paid as well, so, we will look to other avenues for funding, Kickstarter has lost it's steam and only seems to be getting worse. 2013 was a great year for indie game devs, especially on Kickstarter, but it seems the fad (if you want to call it that) has fizzled. I know there are several theories behind why things have changed and we're not going to get into a debate over it, so we will leave it at that.

Thank you everyone who backed us and supported the project, we do feel humbled that so many of you were interested in this project and maybe we will be able to bring it to fruition in the future.

Will we do another run? Probably not, there is something discouraging about striking out twice, but not to worry, there will be other things we can do. Mayhem Games USA as a company is not going away and this will only be a speedbump on the road for us.
More information.

While this is sad news the developer is right about kickstarter, but his game just did not appeal to me. It seem others felt that way also after it failed twice.

Here is a breakdown of both attempts -

1st Try - 184 Backers $3,658 Pledged of the games $35,000 Goal
2nd Try- 185 Backers $4,359 Pledged of the games $33,333 Goal

Last edited:
I would not agree that kickstarter has lost any steam, but with the increase of people trying to get money there, it becomes increasingly harder to get anything.

IMO you need months of preparation and PR work before even starting a campaign nowadays, and I must say I have not heard or read about the game before this post on any site I frequent.

Well I refer you to another thread on the forums I posted earlier.

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27139
Kingdom Come: Deliverance was one of the most backed games of last year. It seems there was less larger funded games than compared to 2013.
And yes besides our site I rarely saw any coverage of this game. This is becoming the norm since certain websites wont cover kickstarter games anymore..

Perhaps if they could have shown a thief climbing walls and sneaking around rooftops under the moonlight, show more action in their trailer, guards maybe, bow attacks, removing guards from behind.

It's a well known phenomenon. It's easier to succeed in (relatively) uncontested market space. Once it's get crowded, you have to work for your supper.

I would not agree that kickstarter has lost any steam, but with the increase of people trying to get money there, it becomes increasingly harder to get anything.

IMO you need months of preparation and PR work before even starting a campaign nowadays, and I must say I have not heard or read about the game before this post on any site I frequent.

I agree with that. I'd heard about the project, it just didn't look appealing enough. The trailers actually looked quite... bad, if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't blame this one on KS fatigue.

I've missed this one, but probably wouldn't have backed it anyway. Kickstarter fatigue might be an actual thing, but I'm not so sure. I still back games that interest me on a regular basis.

A phonegame failed.
What's surprising in it?

How about promising a nonphonegame? Or it's too late for them to try?

Here's an idea for short-on-cash indie studios: forget about voice acting!

I also watched the trailer and everything looked very amatuerish, from the dialogue to the voice acting to the 3d models. Their first game was a rpgmaker game and this was definatley a step in a much more difficult direction. I actually funded a number of games last year including Darkest Dungeon, Starcrawlers, Serpent in the Staglands, Insomnia, After Reset, and That Which Sleeps but this one just didn't look anywhere near as professional or interesting to me.

For every half a dozen games people snag at a sale without ever playing them, they could help fund a new game with an interesting premise. This one had one.

Quality-wise it looked okay. The graphical style perhaps resembled the old Daggerfall game a little, although it seems designed more for a young teen audience. Overall it just wasn't the type of game I enjoy so I didn't back it. If its not a party-based CRPG, then the graphics and effects better blow me away. They didn't, not really.

Back
Top Bottom