Soldak Entertainment - Din's Curse Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Soldak has officially announced their third game, which they've previously referred to as a "hardcore dungeon crawler". Din's Curse will use procedurally generated content combined with the choices and condequences Steven has previously discussed:
Choose one of 141 class combinations and journey to an infinite number of dynamically generated towns with vastly different problems. Every game is a surprise! Your actions have real consequences in this dynamic, evolving world. Your choices actually matter!
Din, champion of the gods, has cursed you into a second life of service because you selfishly squandered your first one while causing misfortune to those around you. To redeem yourself, you must impress Din by building a reputation for helping others. Travel the spacious western plains of Aleria and save desperate towns from the brink of annihilation. Until you're redeemed, you're doomed to wander the earth alone for all eternity.
In Din's Curse, you will explore an extensive underground, slaying dangerous monsters, solving dynamic quests, dodging deadly traps, and in your spare time, plundering loot. Quell uprisings, flush out traitors, kill assassins, cure plagues, purge curses, end wars, and complete other dangerous quests or the danger WILL escalate. Not all is as it seems though, traitors will gladly stab you in the back, renegades can revolt against the town, spies can set up ambushes, and items might even curse or possess your friends.
Open the door to Din's Curse. Surprising adventures await!

Features
* Uniquely created worlds for every game, with different monsters, items, quests, and even townspeople, give the player a new experience every time
* Explore a dynamic, evolving, living world
* Many hybrid classes to experience - 6 full classes, 18 specialties, 141 total combinations
* Your choices truly impact the game
* Surprising, emergent gameplay
* Co-op multiplayer to adventure with friends
No screens yet but you can hop over to their forums for discussion.
More information.

Something like this, but with turn-based combat, I would love. It's just a pipedream I know.

I hope we will make a turn based game one of these years.
If you do, I will be your best friend (this is not optional), but for Rondra's sake, don't make it turn-based with pause! I'd rather do play-by-mail.

Thanks. I was going to ask about the gameplay, but I guess this tells me what I need to know. Just another action game, huh?

That's harsh, given that Depths of Peril genuinely brings something new to the table. Action/RPGs may not be your cup of tea but DoP didn't just re-hash the Diablo formula.

We'll chase up some detailed info at the right time, if Steven can forgive me for never getting that Kivi's Underworld article done.

Yet another single character hack&slash? ….Meh :-/

When I first heard about this game, I thought it was going to be party based, and possibly have turn-based combat.

This game sounds quite interesting and past experience with Soldak's games make it so I'll be looking forward hearing more about this one. I really enjoyed DoP...and even now, coming back to it I keep finding new things to like about it.

Thanks. I was going to ask about the gameplay, but I guess this tells me what I need to know. Just another action game, huh?

That's exactly what I thought about Depths of Peril until I tried the demo. It had a lot of innovation thrown into that litte game and that one was most definitely not 'just another action game'.

I would play the demo when Din's Curse comes out before I jump to that conclusion.

Thanks for the defense guys. We might do action RPGs (right now), but we do try to introduce new elements to make them as different as possible. In Din's Curse we happen to be pushing the dynamic world, replayability, and randomness a lot.

If we do a turn based game in the future it will likely have a party of characters. I still have fond memories of gold box games and slightly more recently Temple of Elemental Evil (despite the bugs). I wish there were more of these still made.

Dhruin, there isn't anything to forgive. Even if I was foolish enough to be upset over something like that, it would be stupid of me to ignore RPGWatch.

I really like the sound of this game so far. Like DoP it sounds like it will have ample touches of strategic play and the whole concept of being cursed with doing good tickles my fancy. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Sounds good to me, just tell me that there is plenty of random "stuff"
ARP's are all about colecting hoards of stuff and being able to continue your characters. Plus, some harder boss creatures with different strategies needed to beat them. I wouldn'y buy another game like Legend of God where all you did was plod through it, everything was the same and them final boss was so ho hum.
I am very happy to hear about multiplayer because frankly, DOP screamed for that feature

I like the backstory. :)

Being cursed to help people … I think thre are more than enough people who would rather play a selfish character role … Okay, in a way, this is selfish, too, but not in the way that "selfish" would mean "kill everyone for loot & money", with "everyone" being monsters included …

Sounds good to me, just tell me that there is plenty of random "stuff"
ARP's are all about colecting hoards of stuff and being able to continue your characters. Plus, some harder boss creatures with different strategies needed to beat them. I wouldn'y buy another game like Legend of God where all you did was plod through it, everything was the same and them final boss was so ho hum.

This game has plenty of random stuff. One of my goals is to have a game that surprises me. Things that are random: items, objects, monsters, quests, townspeople, dungeon layouts, champion/elite monsters (enhancements), bosses, world modifiers, and probably more than I'm thinking of at the moment. You will even be able to play a random character hybrid class if you want.

@Steven I'm just curious. Did you get this idea from Titans Quest? If so, I loved the way they did that. You could mix and match any kind of character you wanted. Some were easier than others, but still it was fun trying to making different characters with the dream skill.

By the time I was through with that game I think I had gone through every character combo with the dream skill. I loved that skill, but wanted to see how the other skills trees enhanced it.

@Steven I'm just curious. Did you get this idea from Titans Quest? If so, I loved the way they did that. You could mix and match any kind of character you wanted. Some were easier than others, but still it was fun trying to making different characters with the dream skill.

I assume you mean the hybrid class stuff. No, I didn't get the idea from Titan Quest (hybrid classes way predate TQ). Our implementation is pretty similar to theirs though.

Cool. I know of a few games that did hybrids, can't think of any of the top of my head though, but the way that Titan quest did it was just about perfect, imo. So this game just went on my must buy list. Whenever it's released :)

Back
Top Bottom