Diablo 3 - Petition for Offline Single-Player

As for a future patch to remove the online only connection, I really have no idea what they will do, but it does seem to me that at some point they will no longer support all their games with online servers. It just doesn't seem reasonable from a business standpoint.

I'm not so sure. Now that we've got virtualisation, keeping a server is a matter of reserving x resources rather than having to have a particular machine/hardware. The cost of that x is going to go down over time as CPUs, RAM, bandwidth etc. all get cheaper/more powerful for the same price.

That's especially the case when there are 10 year gaps between games! It's not like EA who release a competitor to their own game within a year or two.

The drop rates are so deplorable that you're shooting yourself in the foot if you truly wish for single player. The game makes you rely on the [multiplayer] auction house.

the always online requirement was a dealbreaker for me. I don't do online-only games, single-player or not.

As much as I approve of this petition the truth is it's not going to happen now or ever. I haven't bought the game nor will I ever buy it and most of all I don't feel like I'm missing out. Just let it go people there are other games to play.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Not for me and not too bothered either:)

As Dhruin already explained - it's built like an MMO. Your characters, stats, items and so on are all stored on servers. Only the visuals, sounds and similar assets are stored locally.

Developing an offline mode would take a massive effort at this point. It's just not something you can slap on in a patch.

That being said - I am getting increasingly annoyed by the downtime of Diablo 3. Last night was yet another failure from Blizzard, as their servers had a lot of problems.

I certainly didn't expect this level of failure from Bliz after how WoW launched. I mean how much experience and how many resources does one need to handle a popular launch and get a reasonable grip on things within a week or so?

Anyway, they're shooting themselves in the foot by not being on top of the situation immediately.

This is one case where I'm not sure a multiple week unstable launch will be so easily forgiven.

I can only imagine what happens if they face something like this after they turn on the RMAH feature.

I agree DArtagnan. WoW vanilla had a fairly rough launch, but Blizzard has come a long way since then: The launch of Cataclysm was pretty smooth. I was honestly expecting something similar for D3. Cataclysm had nowhere near the same downtime as D3 has had.

I've already put in enough hours into Diablo 3 to make the purchase price well worth it.

Other games, like mass effect, for example, I would finish in a single weekend and never look back. That's a waste of money, unless you wait a long time for it to be on sale first.

I don't think Blizzard had predicted 3 million sales that fast, that's why their servers was overwhelmed. As for the offline petition, I suppose there a lot of pirates signing that so that they can play the game :D and a few people who I feel sorry for which still don't have internet at home......

I like this petition -

- but I also agree that it won't happen in a million of years, figuratively speaking.

This is basically what I have foreseen with "always on".

People just don't realize that they are shaping the future with their money - no matter whether figuratively speaking or literally (although implicitely).

Well, a lot of people play it in single player only. So with that in mind, having it online only seems silly.

But I understand the reasoning of the online aspect of it (prevention of item duping/other hacking methods due to the addition of the RMAH) so I can deal with it.

And it's a great game regardless. I'm enjoying the game very much. I see no reason to blackball a game (unless it's Mario related - uurrrghhh can't stand that character!).

And I'll enjoy Torchlight 2 as well. I'm not one of those exclusive-side-joining-zealots :)

I think it's unfair to insult those who want an offline single player mode. "Why do people want to play an MMO offline? What is the point?" Well, I cant say I blame people for thinking a single player mode, would be a single player mode. Diablo 3 is an mmo, that the audience doesn't know is an MMO. It's just the further growing divide between players who prefer multiplayer games, over ones who prefer single player experiences. (As for you guys who like both, unfortunately you get alienated on two sides.)

I don't think this petition will do anything, but I don't think the reasoning behind the petition should be disparaged.

As for myself, yeah, I'm not buying Diablo 3. Since I don't really play multiplayer games, there is no reason for me to play this game. I just fired up torchlight, and am working on finishing that. Once I finish that, I'll probably check out Din's Curse. Then I'll just wait for Drox Operatives, Torchlight 2, and Grim Dawn. We have options now.

I can now vividly imagine a headline of an Editorial from The Escapist, Joystiq or Rock, Paper, Shot gun :

"The kind of player Blizzard forgot …"

It's an online game. Why do people want it offline? Stupid.

I had a similar thought when someone in the official Drakensang forums wanted these games to be online …

There's actually been server emulation for a while for Diablo 3 via Mooege. It's been around since early Beta, so I don't see a large hurdle creating singleplayer offline. They would just separate offline characters and battle.net characters, and restrict any access to the auction house for them.

Back
Top Bottom