Dragon Age: Inquisition - PC Gameplay

The move to controllers on pc really saddens me and the way so many, even people on this forum embrace it saddens me even more. In 5 years we will all be playing with controllers on our glorified consoles.

Sounds about as realistic and scary as Alien Isolation ;)

I guess we all have fantasies that evoke horror.

game sucks with kb/mouse that's why all we see is controller; aslo the loot looks very much like dao 2; uninspiring. Loot is a minor thing I suppose if the rest of the game is decent. Hard to tell from teh video if this plays closer to an rpg or arpg; I did see one attempt to block an incoming attacker (knight saves wizard); but it seems more action oriented than rpg. Can't really judge the rest of the game but i suspect pc players might be very disappointed with the kb/m interface.

Anti-controller rhetoric is a bit strong, methinks.

I remember using joysticks back in the TI-994a and C-64 days.

Part of being a PC Gamer is liking the customization of your rig and playing your way, right? Why NOT have the option to use a controller as well as a keyboard and mouse?

I get having preferences. I do like using a keyboard and mouse, but I also will use a controller with some games on the PC. Sometimes it just feels more fun to use the controller, other times it is more fun to use the mouse and keys.

Part of being a PC Gamer is liking the customization of your rig and playing your way, right? Why NOT have the option to use a controller as well as a keyboard and mouse?

I get having preferences. I do like using a keyboard and mouse, but I also will use a controller with some games on the PC. Sometimes it just feels more fun to use the controller, other times it is more fun to use the mouse and keys.
I have not yet played a game that is superior when played with a controller and I tried same games on PC and consoles (like fighting games).

All of the controller games can be made to play with K&B and they will be better for it.
Only reason controllers are used is because it is easier to use them on a couch and they take less space.

I think it's pretty well established that most people prefer using a controller when playing a specific kind of game, including driving games and fighting games.

There will always be exceptions, though. Especially if you're hell-bent on seeing things from one point of view only.

I think it would be funny to make a video/short about the guy in RPGs that gets no mention even though he apparently works his ass off keeping caves, dungeons, passages, etc lit. I always wondered who ignites all the torches, changes out the 50 billion candles, stokes all the fire pots that light our path to glory…

PS. Why does my middle mouse scroll wheel always stop working at this site?

Having the options is great; but many of these games do a lousy job with supporting kb/mouse so we want to see if they provide 'proper' kb/mouse support. Dark Soul for example is lousy for people attune to using kb/mouse (at least I found the controls excessively clumsy and painful). For me a controller is not natural so I buy games that have decent kb/mouse controls.

I don't remember a single Bioware game that didn't have decent to good PC controls, so why the paranoia?

I don't watch anymore trailer, previews or demos. I have seen so many already, I feel if I watch more I will have seen the entire game!

I agree 100%. Too often nowadays though controller is more optimized than K&M because most PC games are console ports.

Don't get me wrong i'm not anti-controller. I use them for sports games or driving.

My problem is when a pc game plays perfectly with a controller while I spend an hour looking for mods, ini. tweaks and remapping buttons just to get OK K&M support.

I'm not saying don't have controller support, I'm just saying have equally as competent K&M support.

Btw, Rochester, MN. I live in Blaine.

@Dart,

You really think it's that far fetched?

Dark Souls shipped with almost nonexistent K&M support and the devs reply at the time was just play with a controller ( we were luckily offered K&M support by a modder). The second one they "tried" to offer better K&M support but still required a lot of tweaking.

State of decay shipped as early access with only controller support. Too many games to mention have shoddy mouse movement, lack of key remapping, controller prompts when using M&K, etc.

Even Shadows of mordor which I think is one of the better ports in a while has some mouse camera issues.

Microsoft gives us controller support on the PC, but no K&M support on the xbone. Why? I might play some more console game then.

Launch steam and there in the upper right hand corner is a controller symbol I can click on to launch a controller friendly interface and they are also busily working on there own controller.

Call me crazy but it would seem I have a lot of reason to believe in my fantasy.

But who knows maybe I am over reacting. We'll see.

In 5 years we can revisit this topic,

PC games that require a controller to play, I'm right.

Alien invasion, your right.;)

Sorry so off topic, I blame couch for bringing it up.;)

Anyway, saying all that I agree with Dart, K&M supports never lacked in a bioware game. THere I tied it all to the topic.:)

You really think it's that far fetched?

Well, it depends on what kind of game we're talking about.

I mean, if we're talking mainstream games with console as the lead platform - then controller support on the PC version is actually an improvement on what we've seen before, where we've had to contend with crappy PC controls.

I'd rather play a game with good controller support than awful PC controls.

That said, I completely agree that developers should focus on PC controls more, but I'm realistic enough to understand that developing two entirely different input schemes is a lot of work. It's not just remapping and finetuning a bit. You have to really think about it, if you're going to make a game work well on both a controller and mouse/keyboard.

So, I don't think we'll see console ports with great PC controls all that often.

That said, we're seeing a TON of PC-centric games coming out these days. Primarily from the crowd-funding scene - but also the MMO genre. WoW has made PC the platform of choice for a lot of games, though you obviously have to like MMOs to care about that.

So, we'll get lots and lots of meaty and interesting PC games with 100% focus on mouse/keyboard.

In that way, I don't see controllers taking over at all.

As for multi-platform mainstream games, I think we'll continue to see the norm being decent PC controls, but the focus will remain on consoles.

Dark Souls is clearly a console-centric title, and even as such - it was an exception with how absolutely awful the controls were. The sequel is much better, I understand?

Shadows of Mordor doesn't really have camera issues. I know people say this, but they don't seem to understand how it works. As soon as you start moving around, the camera flows extremely well.

It's miles ahead of games like Assassin's Creed - as they really DO feel like console ports.

Mordor is super smooth and slick on mouse/kb for a console-centric game. At least, I think so.

Big lol @ that video. So they are turning the DA franchise into a jump & run beat'em up now, is that it? Dragon Age Mortal Kombat? Ooookkk... welp, good luck, BioWare! :)

Big lol @ that video. So they are turning the DA franchise into a jump & run beat'em up now, is that it? Dragon Age Mortal Kombat? Ooookkk… welp, good luck, BioWare! :)
Are you surprised after seeing DA2 and the last couple Mass Effects?

You know what this video reminds me of? The Kickstarter video from that FPS Grimoire impostor. (Though sakichop's Def Leppard concert is a close 2nd...)

Are you surprised after seeing DA2 and the last couple Mass Effects?

Well, yes, I am slightly surprised because I've only been very casually following this game and seemed to remember something about "back to the roots" and the game becoming more like Dragon Age Origins again?
And then watching... this... was like one of those moments where you have to make sure you didn't click the wrong video.
For a moment I really thought I was looking at some beat'em up footage with that dwarf doing back flips and all that *swoosh* and *poof* crap :) .

Well, yes, I am slightly surprised because I've only been very casually following this game and seemed to remember something about "back to the roots" and the game becoming more like Dragon Age Origins again?
True. But I assumed right from the beginning that that was bullshit. This is modern BioWare we're talking about after all :)

I finally watched the video and I see what you mean. What the hell is up with the characters being so "grey" and stiff? Looks off in a big way.

As for the gameplay, it's obviously being played in a very confusing way. I've seen pictures of the "zoomed-out" view - and I think it'll be possible to play this with more control and have it be tactical to a degree.

But this video makes it seem like a chaotic subpar action game.

It doesn't help that the person playing is looting and interacting with random objects as the fights are ongoing. I would never do that, as it would destroy my immersion.

Well you guys ae forgetting the game is made with the frostbite engine. That alone explains the flashy graphics as it was meant for just EA's Battlefield games.
Seriously though a pc play through with a controller and no sign of the zoomed out tactical view. Are we even sure it's pc footage? Please find something with K&M plus tactical view.
If I can as most PC gameplay videos as I said above are played with a controller.

...am I the only one that doesn't mind the flashy visuals? o_O

Back
Top Bottom