Ultima - Retro Video Reviews

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
The Spoony Experiment has done some retro reviews of the Ultima series. Spoony, aka Noah Antwiler, is going to review all of the single player titles (god help him with Ultima IX). His reviews are always funny and his Let's Play series are some of my favorites on the web.
Here are the reviews that he has put up so far:

Ultima 0 - Akalabeth

Ultima 1 - I wish I played this one. I never knew until this review that there were Tie Fighters in the game. Too awesome.

Ultima 2 - Too confusing.

Ultima 3 - BEWARE THE FLOOR!!!

Ultima 3 contest - It's a little late, but he is having a contest where you send in your video submission of being attacked by GRASS!!! If you've played the game then you'll know that the freaking floor and grass were a pain to kill. The deadline is August 22nd.

While there you should check out his Let's Play of Ripper. Ripper was a Full Motion Video game made back when FMV was all the rage. It's an extremely long Let's Play, but it's worth it to watch the movie of the man himself Christopher Walken without having to play that horrible game. There are some other great talent in there like Burgess Meredith, David Patrick Kelly, John Rhys-Davies, Karen Allen, Scott Cohen, Ossie Davis, Paul Giamattie and even had Jimmie Walker thrown in there for kicks.
More information.

Last edited:
This was really awesome! :D

Ahaha, great great stuff! Thanks for the link. :D

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I came across that site awhile ago and have been a die hard spoony fan ever since. He gets a little long winded in his Vlogs, but his game reviews/let's play's are just pure fun. I rarely actually laugh out loud with stuff from the net, but his stuff has great comedic timing and witty commentary.

I loved the spaceballs theme during the tie fighter sequence in the Ultima 1 review. Plus, Gandalf with a phazor and AK-47 was just too cool.

For anyone who has seen MST3K and loved it then you'll feel right at home during his 'let's play' of games. It's about time someone did MST3K for video games. There are so many bad ones out there that they are just dying to be made fun of.

He's even got a robot from MST3K!

I liked it a ton, too. His Privateer 2 review was fun.

Then I saw he had a review for Highlander 2. Sweet! I've been warned off from bad movies before but, when Highlander 2 came out, I was actually emplored us not to watch that movie by the Star Fleet Battle guys on the GEnie network. I had never even seen Highlander at the time but I sure remembered that. The reaction to Highlander 2 wasn't just the normal reaction to a bad cash-in, it was like the movie was some horrible sin. I've always wondered what this movie did to cause such a reaction, especially from a crowd that grew up watching some pretty awful movies.

And now Spoony has let me see just what horrible things they did to the Highlander in a way that didn't involve me throwing up or plotting horrible violence! Good stuff!

Plus, Gandalf with a phazor and AK-47 was just too cool.

In KOTOR there's a droid called HK-47.

For anyone who has seen MST3K and loved it then you'll feel right at home during his 'let's play' of games. It's about time someone did MST3K for video games. There are so many bad ones out there that they are just dying to be made fun of.

MST3K ? Sounds like "MISTAKE" to me. ;)

In KOTOR there's a droid called HK-47.

MST3K ? Sounds like "MISTAKE" to me. ;)

Sadly, Alrik, the world has abandoned us, as there never was (and probably never will be) a release of the MST3K episodes in Germany.

The only thing we got officially here was the MST3K movie which spoofed "This Island Earth" and wasn't as good as most of the episodes. The German version was ineptly dubbed with german comedians, eg Oliver Kalkove.

They should have released the series with subtitles. If you want to watch them, just use youtube

this leads to the Ultima question then:

Who's better, Mike or Joel?

Thank you. I didn't know there was in fact a series of some sorts with that title.

I saw the acronyme "MST3K" rather as something in 1337-speak.

I saw the acronyme "MST3K" rather as something in 1337-speak.

I don't use leet speak. I'm not 12 ;)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was one of my favorite shows. The premise is so simple yet it was witty and just downright fun. It's basically a group of guys….well one guy and two robots, making fun of really cheesy B movies. If you're interested you can check out some episodes on Youtube, fancast or just about anywhere you can watch tv shows online.

Spoony does something similar with his let's play of bad video games and he has a few movie reviews in MST3k style. He doesn't show the whole movie, but they're still funny as hell. My favorite is his review of Yor: Hunter From the Future. That movie is just too awesome for words :D "Yor's world. He's the man!"

Speaking of something that is just too awesome, has anyone ever seen "Knightmare"? It's an old BBC children game show where a team of contestants would try to navigate and survive an electronic world of Dungeons & Dragons. One of them would be totally blindfolded (well actually he/she wore a helmet so big that they couldn't see anything) and he/she would be guided by his friend to navigate a dungeon without falling into some pit. They also would help him out with any riddles the monsters/NPCs posed. It's hosted by the dungeon master, Treguard and this guy is the single best game show host EVAR!!! Hell, he's the single best dungeon master as well.

I wish they had this in the states when I was growing up. I would soooo be trying to get onto that. Instead of this purely awesome game show we had cartoons like D&D and freaking baby unicorns….the brits had it so good :D

Anyways, check out his review of the show and here's some info from IMDB. It seemed to be a little popular because I noticed it lasted 8 seasons.

Back
Top Bottom