Kickstarter - Paper Sorcerer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Myrkel on our forums posted about the Kickstarter campaign for Paper Sorcerer, and it's certainly a game some readers would enjoy. It's a first-person dungeon crawler inspired by the likes of Wizardry and offering a unique hand-drawn look. The campaign has already exceeded the measly $5k requested but I'm sure they could use more:
Paper Sorcerer is a first-person turn-based RPG with adventure game elements inspired by Wizardry, Dungeons and Dragons, and Shadowgate.
  • Play as a renegade sorcerer as he struggles to escape the book prison and regain his powers.
  • Escape a magical prison filled with heroes hunting you down at every turn.
  • Strategy over grinding battles, with a charge based spell system.
  • Create a party of summons to join you as allies in battle.
  • Discover open-ended puzzles and solve them with a combinations of spells, items, and your wits.
  • Hand-drawn high-resolution sprites inspired by the work of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century illustrators like Aubrey Beardsley and William Bradley.
  • DRM-free for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, and possibly Xbox Live Indie Arcade and web-browser.
  • All-inclusive game, promise to never make you pay for DLC content.
More information.

Backed. I wantz more competitors :p

Yeah, I had to back this one. Looks like this could be pretty good.

I set the site to remind me tomorrow when I'm home - but I'll be in. I like that 25 bucks gets me a physical game.

Not really into the Might and Magic I look. Also, the combat looks like something from an early Jrpg. I'm amazed at how many of these kickstarters are getting funded. Most of them look like dreck to me. I'm looking for more games like Knights of the Chalice or Eschalon. None of these games have looked nearly as deep, so far. Hope to be proven wrong at release.

I think if I was someone who had funded a lot of money on kickstarter, not this guy obviously, I'd be super careful about documenting where all the money is going. I can see fraud lawsuits for several of these "indies" if their product doesn't reach the market. I'd make sure to have a lawyer retained as part of the kickstarter budget.

What an intriguing style. It's like watching Bane of the Cosmic Forge translated into an animated comic strip. A very innovative use of minimalist style and resources. It won't appeal to those who like a flashier look, but I like the approach. It would probably work great on a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom