Risen - Report #6 @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alec Meer's coverage of his Risen play time reaches part six and is titled Grinding:
And that’s why I find myself grinding. I don’t like feeling like I’m missing out on something, so I’m roaming the land looking for minor quests and anything I can kill, just in the hope of levelling up so I can earn 10 more precious Learning Points. 5 learning points gets me an upgrade in a crafty or stealthy discipline or a strength, dexterity or mana boost, while 10 buys me a significant upgrade to my sword, staff, axe or bow prowess, or to my new Magic Bullet, Fireball or Frost spells. Must level must level must level must level…
More information.

I am two chapters ahead of the report, and have to say that it is very accurate. I can also understand Alec's opinions about the game, though I find it hard to judge how much he likes it (it is obvious that he does). Entertaining read.

Alec just hasn't got the nerve to write an actual review - these' play-as-you-go' articles are a get out.

Come on Alec, have the gumption to write a full review if you dare, explain how the faction alignment element has continued through the gothic series from G1 to Risen. Explain how the critical quest path is partially hidden and leaves the newbie in a somewhat semi-paralysed state and wondering what to do (grinding' away indeed!) - Explain why you might re-align at a later stage, a quest-line twist. Explain how lack of dicipline to the faction is hard to maintain. Explain the storyline motive, the core concept - the appeasement of the forsaken gods.

Perhaps it would be too complicated - probably best stay with the blog style articles, they're easier to construct and draw less criticism.

Alec just hasn't got the nerve to write an actual review - these' play-as-you-go' articles are a get out.

Either that or they're the whole reason Rock, Paper, Shotgun exists, to offer informal, personal-experience blog-style articles (Kieron Gillen's "New Games Journalism" in a nutshell, really) rather than formalized reviews.

I like Alec Meer. I'm enjoying these articles, if not necessarily agreeing with everything he says, but it's an enjoyable read, and a fair look at the game.

I agree in the point that this style might be a distinct way of writing.

Perhaps it would be too complicated - probably best stay with the blog style articles, they're easier to construct and draw less criticism.

I suppose you could see his blogging of the game this way.

I happen to enjoy it. There are more than enough so-called reviews out there to read.

I've enjoyed reading his blog of the game.

I also like Alec's Risen articles.

Back
Top Bottom