What should i play first?

akarthis

Sentinel
Hello ,to all.I just finished Witcher and i felt again(after many games) the joy of playing and finishing a rpg game.
List of games:
1)Gothic 3
2)Vampire the bloodlines
3)2 Worlds
4)kotor 2
I would like to hear suggestions about what game i should play first.I am a huge fan of Gothic games but some friends told me not to play gothic 3 because of the bugs.I read something about a patch so......
For Vampire i heard the same but i heard also some great things.I liked kotor mostly for the scenario and world.I found it a little static to be honest(go to this planet,kill this,go to next planet etc.).For 2 worlds i heard and read so many bad things(besides i hate oblivion,though i loved morrowind) but i believe there are potentials to such kinds of rpgs.
Don't tell me to play all of them.Just what should i play first.I loved witcher and i am a fan of classic games like BG and fallout(you know,read a lot and many choises....)Thanks in advance

KOTOR2 and Bloodlines are both excellent, and both are the recipients, or soon to be recipient in the case of K2, fan-made patches, overhauls and content restoration initiatives.
Bloodlines has a great narrative and a shadier setting, but K2 is much wider-reaching and has more rewarding NPC interactions. Bloodlines has greater quest diversity, while K2 is still very much a go-here-kill-these in structure, but there's some intriguing story exploration.
K2 is more fluid in gameplay, while I found Bloodlines to be a bit stiff and restricted. Bloodlines has very open-ended character development, and for a while any build is viable but the game narrows down as it progresses and you inevitably need to be able to Kill Bosses In Big Fights. K2 of course has the same requirements, but you can't really build yourself into an ineffective corner as seems possible in Bloodlines.

For what it's worth, I actually finished both of them, which is pretty significant for me ;)

I can't comment on G3 or Two Worlds, not having played them.

It doesn´t matter that much in which order you play them. I would start with Two Worlds because it´s already "complete". Kotor 2 has another big fan patch coming up which will restore a lot of cut content. Put it on the shelf until the patch is out. Vampire is in good condition since the latest 15 or so fan patches. It´s also a good time to start Gothic 3. The officially unsupported unofficial Community Patch 1.5.2 removes the disk check and thus makes the game more comfortable.
You´ll probably find out that the guys who talked about massive bugs are just idiots. ;) RPGs are usually not bug-free.

I can't comment on G3 or Two Worlds, not having played them.
I played G3, will never play Two World, it's not a RPG but more a Diablo clone. I haven't played the 2 other so I cannot advise anything. :lol:

One thing about G3, if you haven't played G2, play first G2 with Night Of The Raven addon installed.

I played Gothic 2 two times.Gorath,it really doesnt matter which you play first.I just wanted to play first the best overall game.I'm really tired of getting disapointed by games claiming that there are rpgs.To be honest Gothic 3 with the patch looks very promising to my eyes.If it is half as good as gothic 2 i have no problem.But on the other hand the idea of playing a nice rpg in the world of darkness sounds like a great idea spending my evenings

I'd go with Bloodlines. Get all the patches before you start and go with a malki. The dialogue with that vamp is amazingly crazy but makes sense at the same time (just like most malkis)

About this short list of choices, I see so often Kotor 1 or 2 quoted that it becomes not clear for me. I see this number just showing the number of fanatics of the theme, not at all linked to the real quality of the series.

Also is this really CRPG or more stuff like Deus Ex or System Shock that so many people insist to classified as CRPG but me not at all.

Am I really wrong about this series?

KOTOR is more like NWN than Deus Ex; in fact, it's pretty much just like NWN in a Star Wars setting (it even uses D&D-based rules).

Anyway, I'd suggest you play Vampire first. While all those games have an active community that's improving the game as we speak ( ;) ), Vampire is the oldest and thus most improved, and also the game that's most likely to become dated for you.

(Yes, I'm convulated, but my point is somewhere in there! :p)

I played Gothic 2 two times.
3 times and with the addon NOTR, I win! :p

Gorath,it really doesn't matter which you play first.I just wanted to play first the best overall game. I'm really tired of getting disappointed by games claiming that there are rpgs.To be honest Gothic 3 with the patch looks very promising to my eyes.If it is half as good as gothic 2 i have no problem.
There are very very opposed feeling about G3, even among the fan.
What's sure is that :
- In G3 the world looks amazing when in G2+NOTR it does the job not more.
- In G3 the world is much much bigger, I gave up after a long time and have no idea how long it is.
- The world density is much lower than in G2+NOTR (NOTR is important because it adds density to G2).
- Ton of things have been improved when you compare G3 to previous title of the series, plenty great interface changes but also for example the rest system in G3 is at the top thanks to some tuning.
- There's a big big change in fighting system and that's where people disagree:
* Some find the new system totally cool.
* Some find the new system has something very wrong which involves a too high difficulty and worse a feeling that you never succeed to really learn and progress.
* Some find the monster IA and general setup badly balanced ie a rabbit more dangerous than a raptor.

Myself, I'm in the second category about the fighting system, and it's enough to make me gave up and keep a not so good feeling about this game. There's a ton a mouthing about bugs but I never saw any, the only problem whas linked to the number of savegame that I had to keep low. Otherwise on my computer it flies (when in many area of The Witcher my computer doesn't perform well).

Last edited:
KOTOR is more like NWN than Deus Ex; in fact, it's pretty much just like NWN in a Star Wars setting (it even uses D&D-based rules).

Anyway, I'd suggest you play Vampire first. While all those games have an active community that's improving the game as we speak ( ;) ), Vampire is the oldest and thus most improved, and also the game that's most likely to become dated for you.

(Yes, I'm convulated, but my point is somewhere in there! :p)
Thanks so I'l be obliged to play Kotor series, damit I believed to have succeed to escape of the star wars tyranny. :-/

Nice point about vampire to play first and what about the old vampire and the new vampire? I have them both and not sure what to play first.

KotOR is like a streamlined NWN. A mainstream product with great writing and rather low difficulty.

One thing about G3, if you haven't played G2, play first G2 with Night Of The Raven addon installed.

I can't play Gothic 2 (never tried 1). There's something about the camera/motion controls that make me shockingly motion sick. FPS games rarely do that, but less than 5 minutes with Gothic 2 and I've gone green.

I can't play Gothic 2 (never tried 1). There's something about the camera/motion controls that make me shockingly motion sick. FPS games rarely do that, but less than 5 minutes with Gothic 2 and I've gone green.
Very sorry for you, real pain to not be able to play the best RPG ever done, I'm really sad for you. :-/

KotOR is like a streamlined NWN. A mainstream product with great writing and rather low difficulty.
NWN or NWN2? For me there's a huge difference. I suspect you are thinking of NWN2 but wrote NWN. Ha well I found NWN2 very very good, probably in my top ten or almost.

Vampire: Bloodlines is my favourite in that group (I consider it one of the best games of the last half-dozen years) but Gothic 3 is well worth playing as well. I'm less excited by the other two but they all have their fans.

Gallifrey you might try zooming back the camera as you can help lengthen the parallax, I would suggest doubling the distance of the camera between you and the PC, then triple. Or if it's just due to low frame rate and you system is on the lower end of power, try shortening the view distance by adding more fog.

I would go with Bloodlines or G3, as mentioned by many KotOR 2 is soon to be upgraded and worth waiting for if you play time is limited. Bloodlines is about as refined as it will ever be, so you really won't miss out on any and Unofficial Patch 4.4 is pretty damn solid I just finished my testing of it. I do suggest if you choose Bloodlines don't play Malk first, even though it is my favorite class, it can make it difficult to understand many story and quest dialog choices, as a second play of the game Malk all the way, maybe one of the best PC characters written to date. :)

G3 is looking and running very well, especially since the removal of the copy protection, there are still many minor problems that could be fixed, currently my biggest issue is they still haven't fixed the Music volume during NPC conversations. G3's music is just brilliant so you want to listen to it as it's very mood setting, but you can easily get full blast Music during a conversation, which forces you to turn down the Music or turn on text dialog messages. Most minor things now seem to be floating objects like rocks and tress which had been planned to be fixed before the breakup with PB, but now it's not clear if they will be fixed. By NO means skip G3, it was a damn fine effort from one of the finest RPG makers, they tried to do SO much at such a high level of quality, while doing things that had never been done, it just didn't come together in the amount of time they had. Yet if your so hardcore G1 & G2, that you can't possible appreciate what PB tried to do, then yeah maybe your better off not playing. <shrug> :)

So maybe Bloodlines is the best as you can't go wrong and it's possible G3 could still get more improvements. :)

...By NO means skip G3, it was a damn fine effort from one of the finest RPG makers, they tried to do SO much at such a high level of quality, while doing things that had never been done, it just didn't come together in the amount of time they had. Yet if your so hardcore G1 & G2, that you can't possible appreciate what PB tried to do, then yeah maybe your better off not playing. <shrug> :)
Lol that is an opinion! :biggrin: You won't stop me think they screw up a ton of brilliant design and achievement by some dramatic error in the fighting which has a major effect on the gameplay pleasure. I certainly should stop play now any game, but the point is I never get killed by any saurus even in group when I can't count the number of sudden death I got from a single wolf, even after to have rise my character a lot, equip him much better and improved my fighting technicals significantly. I read ton of post to see any that learn me how fight/how learn fight in this game, and none gave my the answer. It's more than enough to kill the game because fighting is a major part.

Secondly if you go over the fancy graphics and nice map design, the impressive quantity and the accurate interface design, then G3 is far bellow G2 merged to NOTR and if there's one game of the series to advice to real CRPG players it's Gothic 2 merged with NOTR, not at all G3, and that's not only because of the fighting system, but a much better quality, one more time quantity isn't quality.

Yes Dasale, many if not all those things you say are true. :)
However, those many if not all were and are considered bugs or uncompleted works and now as I mentioned many are fixed. :biggrin:
I even think if PB had been given more time they would have tried to Tweak the Fighting even more, remember they admitted they didn't get the desired feel (iirc) and were working to fix it in patches. Remember how they worked on the Crossbow, StunLock and even the Melee feels better after a couple of patches. Also not to mention PB had a Huge patch planned if not mostly completed when the publisher from hell, suddenly couldn't find there wallet to pay for work PB was doing. :)

Btw I use the very nice maps from mistress_larisa & Maroder.
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum...d.php?t=160812

Gallifrey you might try zooming back the camera as you can help lengthen the parallax, I would suggest doubling the distance of the camera between you and the PC, then triple. Or if it's just due to low frame rate and you system is on the lower end of power, try shortening the view distance by adding more fog.

Hm, ok. I'm downloading the demo now so I'll see if those adjustments work for me. Thanks for suggesting them.

Yes Dasale, many if not all those things you say are true. :)
However, those many if not all were and are considered bugs or uncompleted works and now as I mentioned many are fixed. :biggrin:
I even think if PB had been given more time they would have tried to Tweak the Fighting even more, remember they admitted they didn't get the desired feel (iirc) and were working to fix it in patches. Remember how they worked on the Crossbow, StunLock and even the Melee feels better after a couple of patches. Also not to mention PB had a Huge patch planned if not mostly completed when the publisher from hell, suddenly couldn't find there wallet to pay for work PB was doing. :)
I didn't played G3 just after its release because I hadn't the computer for. I played it much later, up to september. So I think I had already all fixes ever released. And also all fan fixes but those refuse to change any game setup, something I understand but the result is here fighting is rotten in G3.

In fact, I have forgot it, the main problem of the G3 fights is perhaps more that you can stupidly click as crazy with no brain and you get the more efficient. Is that has been fixed? I doubt. This is a terrible hole because it's very difficult to learn fighting with such a thing. But I think that doesn't explain all, there's the problem I mentioned above and never fixed.

You want deserve medals on the "merits" but that make no sense this can only be on the results.

Back
Top Bottom