Someone tries to sell Belgium on eBay

We are not exactly without one: the federal state that Belgium is, consists of no less then 6 equal governements. The federal (whole Belgium) isn't above the Flemmish or the Walloon, nor the German speaking, the French speaking or the Brussels one.
With this knowledge you can imagine what happens when the jurisdiction of one governement overlaps with one of another. This is why we (Flemmish) want to split up some other areas to make it more logical for the civilians. The French speaking minority wants to achieve the same thing, but with more unitarisation instead of the splitting up. (This is a simplistic view upon things here, but it give you an idea of why it's so difficult to negotiate)

uh bart you are mistaken on that one. The belgian government is the highest and flemish,walloons and brussels are equal.
Or I thought so because the law from senate are highest in hyrarchic ladder than from the flemish government and so

Have you known that some annonymous Italian bought on e-bay samll town in Texas for 3,8 mln USD?

Nope, but don't forget that Belgium has a gigantic hole in the economy (10,000 billion USD of debts). I don't thin anyone will ever buy this country.

Btw, the winer of the elections redrawed himself from forming a government. There is simply no will from both sides to give in. I think this is what the Liberal side (Open VLD + MR -> both the Flemmish and the Walloon liberals) used for a strategy. Who wins when the winner can't form a government? The one that is needed and said 'yes' to all the demands. Both CDH and CD&V/NVA should have seen this comming a mile away.

After 196days we have a government. Like the previous one, they pushed the hot potatoes to a later date. The issue of more federalisation still lies ahead because this will only be a temporary government till 28 march 2008. I expect that neither will give in and that we face the end of Belgium, perhaps not immediately but if you can make compromises ...

Guess I'd better go and buy some Belgian Beer before that goes as well!! :)

that are the 2 things I will miss about belgian: its great beer and chocolat

Back
Top Bottom