Grey Goo - A New RTS Game

RPS posted a new impression based on some beta playtime.

Link - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/06/grey-goo-release-date/
It’s solid and slick stuff, but other than in a few of the unit designs I guess I’m worried that Grey Goo is solid and slick at the expense of having a clear identity of its own. It’s done well at turning down the micro-management, and it’s certainly been careful not to be slavish to anything else, other than arguably in art style, but I’m not yet entirely sure how I’d conclude a sentence which began “Grey Goo is great because…” It is pretty Starcrafty in a way that’s either smart or suicidal, but it’s doing just enough of its own that it’ll probably recruit a few loyalists: there is a gap in the market for this, I think.
They compare the game to Starcraft, and I shake my head that all new RTS games are. Sadly the new journalists don't remember Dune or Command & Conquer.

Anyway the game will be released this month on January 23rd.:)

I kept thinking this game had the dumbest title I'd ever seen until I realized the meaning. :)

As for the game itself, it actually doesn't look half bad. I'm somewhat skeptical of the January 23rd release though. I'm not seeing it advertised anywhere yet and there's still no Steam page.

They compare the game to Starcraft, and I shake my head that all new RTS games are. Sadly the new journalists don't remember Dune or Command & Conquer.

Anyway the game will be released this month on January 23rd.:)

Well gameplay does look more like Starcraft(lot more fast paced ) than Westwoods games.
I wasn't aware that release is close.Will you get it right away couch?I am interested in some impressions before getting it myself.

I wasn't aware that release is close.Will you get it right away couch?I am interested in some impressions before getting it myself.
Yes I plan on playing the game as soon as it's released. I've waited long enough for more games of this type since MOBAs took over the genre.

I'll try to post a short impression when I do.;)

Petroglyph released a new launch trailer for Grey Goo. It also seems the release date that RPS gave two weeks ago was correct. As it will be released on the 23rd.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCe_OdMgDs

A new RTS by Grey Box and Petroglyph. Grey Goo will be available on Jan. 23, 2015 on Steam

Last edited:
I have been following this for a while now and I have been promoting it to others. As a Starcraft and C&C fan I want more classic (with base building and resource collecting) RTS games.

That RPS article might have compared it with SC but the game is still more similar to C&C and Red Alert.

I heard it is going to cost 50$ which is only problem. I will need to wait for a sale.

Also it seems to need a fairly powerful computer, hopefully the press version that is available now is less optimized.

I heard it is going to cost 50$ which is only problem. I will need to wait for a sale.

I'd be very surprised if it's that much. My guess is $30 or $40.

It's being said on the forums that the single-player campaign is only going to have 5 missions for each of the 3 factions. If that's true, I probably won't be getting it now. Extremely disappointing. :-/

Hmm that does sound disappointing as stacraft had three races with eleven missions each. Though most modern RTS games always have shorter campaigns.

Anyway I will still play the game on release as I love playing these type of games.

Short campaign doesn't surprise me.Most RTS are meant to be played multiplayer and consider this game has strong starcraft roots it's probably multiplayer oriented too.

Short campaign doesn't surprise me.Most RTS are meant to be played multiplayer and consider this game has strong starcraft roots it's probably multiplayer oriented too.
I must be odd then as I rarely play RTS games online, but I do agree with you. As most gamers I talk with prefer to play skirmish maps against players online.

I wasn't happy about the canceled F2P Command & Conquer Universe idea either.

Last edited:
They worked a lot on AIs (there are multiple AIs to choose that will be more aggressive or more economy focused and so on), so they expect Skirmish to fill up time after you finish campaign.
Also in theory this game should be more fun and less stressful to play vs other people than Starcraft.

I'd be very surprised if it's that much. My guess is $30 or $40.

It's being said on the forums that the single-player campaign is only going to have 5 missions for each of the 3 factions. If that's true, I probably won't be getting it now. Extremely disappointing. :-/
Apparently people from USA can see 50$ on Steam page. I am from EU and I cannot see any price on Steam page.

Apparently people from USA can see 50$ on Steam page. I am from EU and I cannot see any price on Steam page.

No, there's no price listed here either as of yet.

I can't see this game being $50 as there's been little in the way of advertising or hype. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't have even known about it.

Hmm, I was told by people in Grey Goo twitch stream that they can see 50$ price.

Yes, that is basically Blizzard price and Blizzard RTS games are better known and have bigger campaigns. Sc2 had lots of cool stuff in addition to mission maps. And it came with lots of other features that Grey Goo will be missing. And I was able to buy a retail version of sc2 for 40$ from a UK site(don't remember the exact price at the time in Pounds).

Grey Goo is now available on Steam worldwide for anyone who is interested.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/290790/
HOUSTON, Texas – January 23, 2015 – Grey Goo™, a new real-time strategy (RTS) game from the award-winning independent developers at Petroglyph, arrived today on PC via Steam. Published by Grey Box, Grey Goo evolves the RTS experience by blending forward-thinking design with the pure, enjoyable gameplay DNA from which the genre was built.

“Grey Goo has been a long time coming,” said Petroglyph’s Ted Morris, Executive Producer of Grey Goo. “For those of us at Petroglyph who started out making Command & Conquer™ games at Westwood Studios years ago, for those of us who still love classic real-time strategy and refuse to let it go away, Grey Goo is the product of a lifetime of passion and expertise that we’re excited to share.”

Grey Box partnered with acclaimed design studio Weta Workshop, best known for their work on The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, to help create and define a fantastic yet fully realized universe for Grey Goo’s story to breathe in. Three unique factions bring the game’s sci-fi setting to life: the resourceful Beta, the technologically advanced Humans and the all-consuming and destructive Goo. Each race offers distinctive army, base and upgrade dynamics, giving players the tools to devise and experiment with a variety of asymmetric play styles and strategies for all-out warfare.

Grey Goo combines the best elements of traditional RTS gameplay with modern design standards, emphasizing base-building, unit management and tactical choices with a focus on intelligent action and tension over tedium and frustration. Experience the rise of the Goo as it unfolds from each faction’s perspective in Grey Goo’s single-player campaign. Multiplayer allows up to four players to compete locally (LAN) or online, with custom settings available to tailor matches as desired. Grey Goo also includes a map editor, featuring the same robust tool kit used by Petroglyph to build all the maps for the game.
I'll try to play the game later today and post my impression if I have time.

Here is a short impression from playing two missions in the game.:)

The first thing I notice is a lot of work and attention went into the special effects, cinematics , and music in every mission has just like Command & Conquer.

You start the campaign playing as the Beta race who opened a gate that has malfunctioned, and brought invaders to your home planet.

At this point Your main hero for the campaign is called Saruk blows up the gate, and your first mission starts. Your first objective is to build a refinery to collect resources.

Now as for resources you only have one called Catalyst and it's very limited on each map. You also have a population cap so you can only build so many units.

One thing to notice at this point is the game uses the same building system that you might remember from C&C 4, and the original War Hammer RTS games.

Now you start out with a central hub that supports four buildings, and as you advance your allowed to build small/medium hubs on the map to spread.

As for building units your factories can build four units at a time or you can use the auto-build option. More advanced units require certain structures to build.

And finally the combat is handled pretty well as each unit counter balances each other with their own strengths, and weaknesses. One tip I can give is do not just rush the enemy base with armor units you will be defeated.

That's all for now I may write more but I need to go do the evening news posting . I'll end the post by saying the game is a must buy for all strategy fans.:celebrate:

Last edited:
I saw a lot of people on the Steam forum complaining about the difficulty. The normal setting is apparently a lot harder than most RTS games.

Back
Top Bottom