BioWare - On Same Sex Romances

It would be nice to have a checkbox to disable them though.

Don't take a step down the road and it will never appear and any slight rebuff typically disables it permanently. Think of it as an in game checkbox. I dont need option pages as dense as the settings in Facebook on my game and even then the option should be enabled by default.

You really have to pursue the options for any romance in any of these games for them to even become an option. I really dont see why its an issue either.

Sigh. I'm just gonna say "Juhani", "romance fixed in patch" and "bullshit".

Sums up my views of BioWare's "not economically viable" stance.

Oh, noes, teh ghey, the gaaay! If I gets too close, it may rub off!

Romances done well in games can be amusing, and I don't care about what sexes are involved. But I generally find them juvenile and implausible - much like what happens in Hollywood movies. Bioware can be especially grating in this way, but I'm glad they acknowledge that human beings are not all alike in terms of sexual preference - though I'd prefer if that was the norm - rather than the exception. I think it's about time the concept dawned on everyone.

Romances done well in games can be amusing...

Maybe so but I can`t remember any examples, at least in western RPGs. In fact, all I remember, now the subject surfaced, is that excruciating "sex scene" from ME.

I think it was after ME actually, that there were complaints from gay community regarding Sheperds hetero compass. Seems then Bioware`s listened...fair enough.

Still, it`s something thats more or less forced and for me at least it looks slightly out of place - because of this whole quasi-medieval setting. It wasn`t exactly gay- friendly times like Rome... Interesting, how they handle that...

zadokAllen said:
Still, it`s something thats more or less forced and for me at least it looks slightly out of place - because of this whole quasi-medieval setting. It wasn`t exactly gay- friendly times like Rome… Interesting, how they handle that…

Same can be said on gender equality.

Thing is, this argument always fails because a fantasy setting isn't medieval Europe. There are almost no limits on the elements you can change in a fantasy setting. Being purely about entertainment, the more people who can get entertained and their fantasies fulfilled the better.

They should make normal romance work first.

Considering how it's done, that would be a stupid thing to do. It's easier to develop all the romance subplots at the same time than to implement one or two, then add another one or two.

Preferably a checkbox for "romance with males". Never finished KotOR with a female lead, because Carth's romancing comments were so much irritating despite my harsh responses to him.

Same can be said on gender equality.

Thing is, this argument always fails because a fantasy setting isn't medieval Europe. There are almost no limits on the elements you can change in a fantasy setting. Being purely about entertainment, the more people who can get entertained and their fantasies fulfilled the better.

It`s not an argument- merely an observation. I have no problem with this being implemented. Obviously, it is a fantasy setting, which is why I used the term "quasi-medieval".

There might be theoretically no limits - and yet hardly anything ever changes, at least in big productions. . It`s always samey looking swords, armours, spells and goddamn elves. It`s a safety measure, because execs are afraid that slightest change might fry our one-cell brains and we`ll be in no shape to buy the DLC. On release day.

I was happy to read this if only because I like options … and I like companions and interactions. It never once bothered me if the writing was less than optimal. Of course it is nice the better they are developed and written … but I don't expect superb works of romantic fiction. They are pretty easy to ignore and as David pointed out, people who complain about content that they don't have to experience, and that makes other people happy, don't have much of a leg to stand on.

On a side note its nice to see people being so open minded on the subject ... unlike many of the other forums I visit.

Zevran and Leliana formed the same-sex romances, but only because they're bisexual (Truth be told, I think Zevran should have been straight, Leliana lesbian, Alistair bisexual and Morrigan shouldn't have been a love interest).

Have to agree (and have one for all romances as well). Not the end of the world, but I'd really start to dislike another male NPC that started coming onto me. One of the mods I played for IWD2 seemed to have a male-male romance in it. Took me a while to figure out that the mage in my group was hitting on me.

As long as turning them down is a simple dialogue option, I honestly don't see the problem.

Back
Top Bottom