Multiverse - Buffy Announced, Firefly Delayed

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer set to become MMO while his other TV series Firefly game gets delayed. Seems the game will be playable on 3d and 2d clients and will be in beta later this year, spotted at Eurogamer.
The announcement was made by movie producer Jon Landau at the VirtualWorlds conference. "The resources are in place to develop a great MMOG," he said.
Apparently the game will launch from 'Multiverse Places', a new social networking environment. In a statement, Multiverse said the Buffy MMO will be playable "either as a fully immersive 3D environment or as a Flash-based 2D game, where both types of players can interact". Which isn't confusing at all.
"As a brilliant storyteller and world-maker, Joss Whedon crafts stories that expand perfectly into the new medium of virtual worlds," said Multiverse's Corey Bridges.
More information.

I read about this earlier today, and honestly thought someone had gone mad. Given the current MMO market, there is an extremely slim chance Buffy will end up being a huge hit.

Either that, or they're targeting a new market.

why wouldn't it do well? are there other Vampire themed MMOGs with a large female fanbase? Marrying Social Networking to a MMOG seems like a no-brainer - except putting it with this one. Just as WoW kills all (just like EQ does) Facebook is doing the same thing.

If its not 3D then it will just be a casual game. I took a quick course on on Flash and its not ready yet for large scale MMOG'g . It could be the eventually side of soon, just not now.

That's too bad to hear about Firefly. Its a tough sell considering its ratings and how Fox killed it. Serenity didn't do as well at the box-office as they hoped. It could make for a straightforward game with parties of semi-legal couriers etc. and the Western/Sci-Fi theme is definitely out of the ordinary.

Ratings were very good for Buffy and Josh gets most of the credit. Nathan Fillian was on Craig Kilburn the other day and didn't even mention FF (Katy Segal didn't mention Married With Children or Futurama on the same show either, in all fairness). So if there's still buzz about Buffy I think it could do well - however, most of hte fans are all growed up now.

EDIT: Have to throw the first comment in from the article's site
the_dudefather
04-Sep-08 09:46:53

Still waiting for a Coronation Street MMO

Last edited:
I wonder what the FireFly one would be like? Great series, but if they make it a space sim, then it's really a different feel than the show.

That is the one thing that has been a problem IMO with Space RPG's (though I have no experience with Wing Commander) its that there's just not emphasis on events in port. Still, that makes them different from Fantasy based, as your missions appear in seeming random occurrences between planets. And of course, stats are replaced by ship upgrades and the combat is real time first person instead of turn based.

Of course, to make it really Firefly, most of the game would be played in port, or the consequences of a job would take place on the ship - like cargo never being what htey told you it was, if you bothered to ask.

World of Darkness is also in development by CCP, if they will clash I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom