Drakensang What is your favorite character to start with?

savior

Traveler
According to your experience, which is the best starting character? I started with a human fighter (did not personalize it with advanced mode) and am quite unsatisfied with it, i have only 14 Strength(Forgrimm is much stronger than me). I read that later on you find a very strong elf warrior so, together with forgrimm, i do not think it is a good idea to start with another tank too.

If someone knows the companions you will meet during the game, he might have a good advice on which class to pickup/avoid, in order not to overlap other similar/strong characters and in order to compensate for some lack of abilities in the companions.

According to your experience, which is the best starting character? I started with a human fighter (did not personalize it with advanced mode) and am quite unsatisfied with it, i have only 14 Strength(Forgrimm is much stronger than me). I read that later on you find a very strong elf warrior so, together with forgrimm, i do not think it is a good idea to start with another tank too.

If someone knows the companions you will meet during the game, he might have a good advice on which class to pickup/avoid, in order not to overlap other similar/strong characters and in order to compensate for some lack of abilities in the companions.
Considering early on you'll find 2 'rogue' types, a tank and a semi-tank/archer, I'd say anything caster, a summoner type even better.

In this game, I would definitely start with a caster. It takes a bit of time until you find the first NPC caster who joins you.

Also, as a roleplayer, I would play a character who is traditionally good, well-mannered and believes in the 12 Gods. So your typical elves, pirates etc. are not good choices. Dialogue simply doesn't feel right with these characters.

Also, as a roleplayer, I would play a character who is traditionally good, well-mannered and believes in the 12 Gods. So your typical elves, pirates etc. are not good choices. Dialogue simply doesn't feel right with these characters.
I started with an elf ranger, and he talks like a cross of a paladin with a breakfast radio moderator. He must have been evicted from his home village :D.

I started a bunch of characters and I'll add my 2¢ to the mix and suggest a mage of some type too. I like Battle Mages because they can learn pretty decent weapon skills because of a nice strength stat. A battle mage can become a good warrior. I also make sure and load up all characters with the bow skill. I kill many creatures before melee is even commenced. I also try to make my main character, no matter which class, the plant and animal lore expert. That way, you can mix and match other characters depending on need and still have the best results with looting. I never tried a charlatan, but it might be a nice build with a few points added to attributes.

People have already play multiple time the game? Am I very slow or are people don't know anymore taking their time to enjoy deeper something? :)

I started a bunch of characters and I'll add my 2¢ to the mix and suggest a mage of some type too. I like Battle Mages because they can learn pretty decent weapon skills because of a nice strength stat. A battle mage can become a good warrior. I also make sure and load up all characters with the bow skill. I kill many creatures before melee is even commenced. I also try to make my main character, no matter which class, the plant and animal lore expert. That way, you can mix and match other characters depending on need and still have the best results with looting. I never tried a charlatan, but it might be a nice build with a few points added to attributes.
Agree for the battlemage, it's the feeling I got from the companion you get. To play it I only regret not be able to have sooner some summon.

For the charlatan companion the problem is to not spend many points in many skills, social and rogues. The elf fighter could have been a more logical choice alas the standard character unlike the companion, has a lower mana regeneration rate, not cool at all.

People have already play multiple time the game? Am I very slow or are people don't know anymore taking their time to enjoy deeper something? :)

I bet it's rather that some people have little else to do. I blame the economic crisis :p

When trying to replay the game I did a closer look to the character classes. I looked at it from a mage warrior point of view and tried look a bit further. I'm not sure my computing are rights but I found that beside the official bonuses/penalties a character has, there's in fact much more bonuses.

For example most classes start with some training in some weapons and if you go in advanced mode at character creation you cannot lower few to zero. The resulting value is the base value for the weapon. it doesn't change train cost but it changes the maximum possible value and that's not minor.

The same goes for talents like Willpower, buy going in advanced mode you can see the minimum and then know the base value that changes the maximum possible value.

Another thing I quote is that at creation classes has a base bonus for VI, AE and ED. To know it you need compute the VI value given from the standard formula and substract it to the value to get the bonus and sometimes the result is surprising. Here a table for all magic user classes.

BATL=Battlemage; HEAL=Healing Mage; CHLT=Charlatan; ELEM=Elementalist; META=Metamage; ALCH=Alchemist; RGER=Ranger; SPWR=Spellweaver; ELFI=Elf Fighter
Code:
		BATL	HEAL	CHLT	ELEM	META	ALCH	RGER	SPWR	ELFI
RM Bonus	          			3				
VI Bonus	11	12	10	9	11	10	6	6	7
AE Bonus	19	18	6	22	20	4	13	15	12
ED Bonus	12	8	10	7	13	11	12	13	12
Will. Base	7	3	2	3	5	3	2	3	2
AE Regen		+1						+1	-1
Dagger			2					3	2	3
Fencing				4						2
Axe&Mace		2	2				3			
Saber						3				
Spear       									4
Bow		 						5	1	4
Throwing			1

For this table, fight oriented, it's interesting to quote for example that there are two full mages more fight oriented, the Battlemage but also the Metamage. And in fact the Metamage could seem even better with a slightly better weapon base with a saber, the ED bonus is the best (for only one point but still), his willpower base is only 2 points lower than for battlemage and he also has his official Magic Resistance bonus.

Another quote is that in fact the weapon of choice for a Battlemage could not be the staff but an axe (even if the staff is a quite good choice anyway according to items available in this scenario).

Also a weird quote is the big penalty in AE Bonus for the Alchemist, it's true that it has much more bonus non fight oriented.

And from this table I feel the Healer is a very good candidate for a fighter/full mage. His weapon base for Axe is same than for the Battlemage, his willpower base isn't that low and his mana regen bonus is quite good for the fights.

Back
Top Bottom