That's how the film ends?

None of them would be on any list of mine, but then Sound of Music would be somewhere near the top!! :)

You're too wholesome for your own good!

For some reason I now imagine you even smell wholesome too, like freshly baked cinnamon buns or something.

Withnail & I is a superb movie too, although it might not play quite as well to non british audiences.

That was a great movie, I can't seem to convince people that it's actually good in spite of Jim Carrey being in it though.

I believe that "The Trueman Show" was also very good, "in spite of" not only having Jim Carry in it but also being a mainstream success.

I believe that "The Trueman Show" was also very good, "in spite of" not only having Jim Carry in it but also being a mainstream success.

Not seen the truman show, is it worth watching?

Certainly based on Eternal Sunshine it's a real shame that he keeps getting shoved into roles where they just want him to do his whacky, rubber faced thing.

Not seen the truman show, is it worth watching?
Definitely if you ask me.

What I liked most was the fact that you can interpret the story line in very different ways:

As a science fiction thriller,
as a satire regarding reality shows and advertising,
as a description of the development of a person,
as a simple comedy...

And all of these interpretations don't even contradict each other.

Definitely if you ask me.

What I liked most was the fact that you can interpret the story line in very different ways:

As a science fiction thriller,
as a satire regarding reality shows and advertising,
as a description of the development of a person,
as a simple comedy...

And all of these interpretations don't even contradict each other.

Sounds good, will have to check it out :)

Seconding the Truman Show rec. It´s a well conceived film and it´s probably even more relevant now than it was in time of its release.

I´d also recommend Forman´s Man on the Moon. Carrey´s performance is rather remarkable and since the film reiterates a lot of Andy Kaufman´s jokes, it´s funny too.

Neither film is really super duper, but both are certainly worth watching.

Regarding the other Kaufman, Eternal Sunshine and, to a slightly lesser degree, Being John Malkovich is where it´s at imo.
I really appreciate his unique narrative approach and stuff, but on the other hand his self-indulgence sometimes almost irritates me.
That was the case of Adaptation (which was basically a rehash of 8 1/2 ... and, well, 8 1/2 is unfuckwithable) and that is the case of Synecdoche as well.
Both are still worth seeing though.
I have a strong feeling that rewatch of Synecdoche is needed to fully comprehend its story and ideas, but I don´t really want to :).

Btw, Michel Gondry´s video for Bjork´s Bachelorette (can be watched here, for example http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftYIK.html) shares some glaring similarities with Synecdoche. Coincidence?

I think that Eternal Sunshine was just the rare moment where director and writer created a perfectly symbiotic duo, mutually erased the other one´s weaknesses and built upon their strenghts. Truly congenial effort imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom