Lords of Xulima - Project Funded on Indiegogo

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Numantian Games posted a new update for Lords of Xulima with news the game is funded, and gives their thanks to every backer.

UPDATE 9 - SUCCESS!

You did it!

You've helped us reach our first goal with five days left in the campaign! We are extremely grateful to all those who contributed and we are very excited that we'll have additional resources to help us make Lords of Xulima an even better game.

Please help us make the most of the final days of our campaign by continuing to spread the word about Lords of Xulima. We look forward to fully showing you our gratitude by providing you with an awesome role-playing game.

Thank you very much for all of your support!
More information.

WOW! Successful indiegogo campaign. A rare sight. Enhance a bit then take it to Kickstarter.

Nice developer tactics by the way to bypass costly battle animations that had to have been done on a birds eye view battlescape. This way its probably the same fun (compared to what they could have done in isometric), resembles more to old games.

However I prefer Darksun / Champions of Krynn / Fallout style representation of battles.

Enhance a bit then take it to Kickstarter.
Supposedly it's already near release, the IndieGoGo campaign claimed January 2014? Probably better off just finishing it and selling it at this point. Don't know how they'd go about arguing that a Kickstarter campaign that ends in late November will help them improve a game that's due in January.

Erm… Congrats. Didn't back it since it wasn't on KS. I'll buy if from early reviews I get the feeling it meets my taste.

Don't know how they'd go about arguing that a Kickstarter campaign that ends in late November will help them improve a game that's due in January.

How about saying that they now have more money to implement more content but it also takes more time? That's how Larian did it and I don't see any backlash.

edit: After pushing back the release date of course.

Well, from IGG, all they'll get was the bare minimum they asked for ($10K). So they can't say that changed their release plans. They'd have to go into the Kickstarter saying "if this thing succeeds, we'll delay our game…" I guess it's not hugely different from what happened with Larian, but Larian's wasn't 3 months before the planned date.

Well, from IGG, all they'll get was the bare minimum they asked for ($10K). So they can't say that changed their release plans.

Release dates certainly aren't set in stone nowadays. Of course it's possible that they are contractually bound in one way or another, but since they have openly considered a Kickstarter campaign (on the Codex or here, can't remember) after this one ends, I doubt that that's a problem. So they'd only be beholden to their customers, and people who invest in oldschool RPG's don't seem to throw a hissy fit when a game they're waiting for gets delayed to implement more content/ polish.

They're a Spanish company; Kickstarter only allows American companies afaik.

Edit: my first Indiegogo backed project. I really like the oldschool vibe. Hope they'll give the English translation another pass though.

Many non-American companies have used Kickstarter. Larian, just for starters.

Didn't back it since it wasn't on KS.
I don't get it. Why?
I've seen this attitude a lot and even though I'm from Germany, I'll probably host my own campaign at KS somehow, due to so many people rightout ignoring things on IndieGogo just.. because they do.

But still… why? I see no logical reason not to back a project I like completely independent of the platform used.

Many non-American companies have used Kickstarter. Larian, just for starters.
Yes, but it is much harder to do. You've got to get into US legal business. Doing that in your own country is a hard enough thing to do, but in a foreign country? Not impossible by any means (I've even heard there are companies that would do it for you for a fee), but that alone will eat up quite a lot of resources and time on its own. All of which could be spent on developing the game itself. Obviously, the smaller your team, the harder it gets.

There's nothing to lose when the campaign uses fixed funding. I think that's what some people don't understand.

I was more than happy to back Xulima, and I look forward to playing it.

Erm… Congrats. Didn't back it since it wasn't on KS. I'll buy if from early reviews I get the feeling it meets my taste.

Did not back it -- Looked like the perfect game for me-- but just could not back it

Back
Top Bottom