Legends of Eisenwald - Balance in a Tactical RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Aterdux Entertainment's posted another development update this week for Legends of Eisenwald that has information how the developer balances their Tactical RPG.

Recently players asked us how many man-hours we spent working on the game balance. The question seemed interesting and we tried our best to work out an estimate. In the end, it’s pretty hard to even find a close approximate. All members of our small team work on multiple tasks and it’s pretty difficult to pinpoint the hours spent in any one thing. Problems are solved as they appear and at other times we work on our specific tasks. As an approximate we could say that, Dmitry Goncharov, who had to deal primarily with balancing, spent anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 hours working on it. Though it is wise to note that Dmitry didn’t think that was accurate at all! He didn’t even try to name a number and simply explained the way it works.
More information.

Just for reference, a typical job has around 2,000 work hours per year.
Yup, that's how much it took. The game has been in development for over 5 years now which is not something we are very proud of. But that's normal when one is trying to make a big game with a small team. Anyway, the release is finally in sight :)

Congrats, Aterdux. It has seemed like a long time. Looking forward to playing it. :)

Can't claim to have really played it. I've been waiting for the release. But I messed around with the beta when it was first released to Kickstarter backers. It looked to have plenty of potential even way back then.

Been playing the game for over a year now and saw it evolve quite a bit. I really enjoy it... but you have to expect it's more a strategy game that a typical rpg. Cool and original setting, it's far more realistic-medievalish than what we are used to in a fantasy game.

Been playing the game for over a year now and saw it evolve quite a bit. I really enjoy it… but you have to expect it's more a strategy game that a typical rpg. Cool and original setting, it's far more realistic-medievalish than what we are used to in a fantasy game.
Some people complain our game is not strategic enough :) I would describe it more as RPG with tactical combat. Right now we say it's RPG with elements of strategy to attract people who like strategies too. I am curious why do you think it's more a strategy game? Maybe we already lost a sight of what we are doing :)

How is the RPG-to-strategy ratio in comparison to Blackguards?

Sorry, didn't play Blackguards yet. RPG-to-strategy ration is a bit higher if comparing to King's Bounty because we have castles that can be captured or lost.

Sorry, didn't play King's Bounty yet. :|

Think my boss wouldn't like me installing games on this workstation. ;)

I already "tried" to play it, but unfortunately I can't overlook the colorful cartoony visuals. That might sound shallow, but I just can't enjoy games looking like this.

Then maybe someone else here can report on RPG-to-strategy ratio. As I said, our game is heavy on story and tactics and rather easy on strategy...

I'll try it anyway (in fact I just noticed that I've already bought it), but perhaps this information could help others to decide if they'll buy it or not.

I think we won't make much push to press before the full release. And if we knew what makes people buy our game we would have done it long ago :) It's more or less a mystery to us and before the release we will rewrite our presentation one more time I think.

I think we won't make much push to press before the full release. And if we knew what makes people buy our game we would have done it long ago :) It's more or less a mystery to us and before the release we will rewrite our presentation one more time I think.

Will there be a Legends of Eisenwald 2? and if so, what changes are you already planning or considering for it? and I'm assuming if it happens that you'll use kickstarter again?
EDIT: nevermind, I see you sort of answered the same question in another thread :)

Last edited:
Will there be a Legends of Eisenwald 2? and if so, what changes are you already planning or considering for it? and I'm assuming if it happens that you'll use kickstarter again?
He also answered that question in more detail in my interview I will publish next week.

Back
Top Bottom