D&D 3.5 edition rules Manuals.

Me, I feel 3rd Edition is soulless compared to D&D and AD&D. Sure the rules seemed liked they were made arbitrarily but there was an attempt to bring all the mythologies in our culture into some sort of system. d20 feels like a spreadsheet to me. There's too much emphasis on streamlined math systems, making sure there's balance, and a focus too much on its own D&D universe. That's me tho. There seems to be a generation gap about this sort of thing.

You think? I started with the original D&D boxed set, went on to AD&D, then AD&D 2nd ed., then v3.0/3.5, and I don't feel that way at all.

But then I've never played in or DM'ed an "official" campaign; my only knowledge of FR comes from the computer games. My campaigns have always been in worlds of my own invention. I have transposed some boxed sets into my worlds, though; Ravenloft, Planescape, and Al-Qadim in particular. IOW, I never really was particularly excited about the D&D world; I only play it for the mechanics and "object library" -- that is, feats, loot, monsters, classes, and so on.

The d20 mechanics rule. Just because they're simple, streamlined, and expressive doesn't mean they're "soulless."

Back
Top Bottom