Just out of interest: who else uses...

Jaz

Play nice.©
..Iceweasel and Icedove, respectively?
I have a hard time getting used to the green-and-white symbols, and they're a bit prettier than Firefox/Thunderbird. No problems or some such... I just wanted to know if I am lonely or if there are some other Debianists ^_^.

I've actually never heard of them!! It's FF all the way for me!! :)

rotfl.gif

Well, the full story is this... the Mozilla people have this Netscape deal, right? Right. The Netscape people dictated that the Firefox and Thunderbird names may only be used in conjunction with the corresponding symbols. Then they *gasp* copyrighted the symbols of Firefox and Thunderbird!
The Debian Linux people didn't want any of that and said that they wouldn't use any copyrighted material in their Linux distribution, so they created new icons for their browser and mail program and renamed them Iceweasel and Icedove, respectively. So basically it's Thunderbird and Firefox with new icons and new names, totally un-copyrighted.

I've heard at least of Iceweasel, but not of Icedove yet.

Now I know them. ;)

Thanks didn't know about Iceweasel and dove, either.

I'm still using good ol IE. I went to firefox for awhile but haven't reloaded FF after my last disk format.

Well, I'm using IE for my Windows setup and Iceweasel/Icedove/Iceape (yes, there's a third ice animal) for my Linux setup, but I'll hopefully get rid of my multiboot setup soon... nowadays there are several virtual machines around that actually work. If I ever get one of these to run on my computer, I'll start all my OSes from one desktop (I'll probably go purely Linux with emulated other OSes then). Then, hopefully, there'll be no need for DOSBox and VDMS anymore. But before that I'll need to upgrade my hardware :).

Back
Top Bottom