10 Most Anticipated Games @ Yahoo!

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Skavenhorde writes that Yahoo! Games has an article called the 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2008. The list isn't exactly full of RPGs but Fallout 3 finds a spot (and Final Fantasy XIII and the WoW expansion if you want to stretch the definition):
The Fallout name is revered among PC gamers, who associate it with a series of superb, old-school turn-based RPGs that still command a substantial fan following. Now the series is in new hands, and a new Fallout game is on the way - but even if you didn't play the first couple of games, there's still plenty about Fallout 3 to raise your pulse. How does a plot-driven adventure in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max-style world sound? If it's in the hands of Bethesda, the studio behind the critically-acclaimed Oblivion series, it sounds mighty fine.
More information.

3 words.......

Duke Nukem Forever

Yeah yeah, I know it probably won't make it out in 2008, but one can always dream...:fingerscrossed:

and it won't make it out in 2018 either and while I'm at it 2108 as well.

I recognize 3 titles that I bother about in that list.

I am sure Fallout 3 will be a disappointment. I do not believe Bethesda have the skill to create a good RPG where interaction with unique characters and an exciting multi-ended story is greater than smashing things up on railed and uninspired quests. Maybe expecting the worst will make it better, regardless it wont make me disappointed.

I have little doubt that MGS and FF will deliver what it promises, even if they might not reach up to their prequels.

Halo was half-decent but it is one of the most repetitive FPS'es I have played. Halo 2 is a technical disaster on PC and the amount of work I put down on getting it to work does not seem to be worth what's little content I might actually enjoy in the game. Halo 3 is by the reviews considered a dissappointment, so forget about Halo 3.

Starwars Galaxies ruined my enjoyment with the Starwars universe and im fed up with the "Oooh, you can play Dark Jedi" games in which you have to pick between being a "light" Buddhist monk in celibate and a "dark" cliché nutcase who have issues with the world due to a bad childhood. I'm tired of cliché fiction that tries to divide "good" and "evil" in simple and easy-to-chew concepts.

Spore is a coold idea but i wont connect to another online game filled with social misfits and greedy kids.

I have no comment on the rest since I never cared about their prequels. If this is all 2008 have to offer consider me out.

You sound misinformed on many games.

Halo 3 is by the reviews considered a dissappointment, so forget about Halo 3.

For starters, Halo 3 was almost uniformly well-received. The only complaint seems to have been that it wasn't different enough from the prequels. That said, Halo 3 is still the best game in the series.

But the game that the article mentions is Halo Wars, a real-time strategy game set in the game's universe. That's a whole different story.

"Oooh, you can play Dark Jedi"

Have you seen the awesome trailer? That alone is good enough to make any Star Wars fan's heart pump faster. The game also puts you as a Dark Jedi, meaning there is no choice of good or evil; you are just plain evil.

But I guess you just either love Star Wars or you hate it.

Spore is a coold idea but i wont connect to another online game filled with social misfits and greedy kids.

Spore isn't exactly an online game. Creatures that you have made in the evolution editor can be uploaded to a master server. From there, the game can pick through the database to fill out the ecosystem as it sees fit. So, you will encounter creatures that are made by other players, but that's about it. It's not an MMO by any stretch.

I have no comment on the rest since I never cared about their prequels. If this is all 2008 have to offer consider me out.

You sound bitter. Want a cookie? :D

Most anticipated sequels? I wonder of Lucas Arts ever considered putting out a game called Star Wars: Whatever, just buy the thing, its Star Wars dagnabbit..Star Wars! I actually think it would sell.

Spore is the only original title there but even that's a sim variation Its Game of Life meets Evolution with better graphics from the picture.

Dragon Age should be on that list but I guess if you don't publicize a game it can't be anticipated.

For starters, Halo 3 was almost uniformly well-received. The only complaint seems to have been that it wasn't different enough from the prequels. That said, Halo 3 is still the best game in the series.

Which doesn't say much. Halo was really praised by the XBox community, but it's one of the most repetitive FPS'es I have ever played. I think people overpraised it because they wanted to show PC users that XBox could have good FPS'es too.

Have you seen the awesome trailer? That alone is good enough to make any Star Wars fan's heart pump faster. The game also puts you as a Dark Jedi, meaning there is no choice of good or evil; you are just plain evil. But I guess you just either love Star Wars or you hate it.

I grew up with starwars, but I find the concept of "evil" retarded and if the only thing starwars have to offer today is polygon forcepowers for failed teenagers who have issues with society, count me out.

You sound bitter. Want a cookie? :D

Cookies are bad for your health. Eat carrots instead.

Out of this list, I'm looking forward to FF XIII.

Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
You sound bitter. Want a cookie?

that's so cuuuute :D:D:D

Starwars Galaxies ruined my enjoyment with the Starwars universe and im fed up with the "Oooh, you can play Dark Jedi" games in which you have to pick between being a "light" Buddhist monk in celibate and a "dark" cliché nutcase who have issues with the world due to a bad childhood. I'm tired of cliché fiction that tries to divide "good" and "evil" in simple and easy-to-chew concepts.

Sorry, but me too. But - I rather mean the newer Star Wars novels with that.

But - I've become more & more sceptical towards The Force Unleashed because of that as well. Plus, it seemingly won't come out for the PC.

My sceptiziscm towards it got a big turn upwards when I heard about the general concept ... Something like "Oooh, I can kill Jedi now !" came to my mind.

Playing evil seems to be THE new fashion in games coming along.

I don't like "killing Jedi" (which seems to actually be one goal since Shaak Ti seemingly has survived ROTS) at all, especially since I've once written an imho deep and rather emotional fan-fiction story surrounding the Jedi charakter of Shaat Ti.

For me, I can see in that list only Spore, Fallout 3 (well, Ill see how it might turn out) and this "Smash Bros. Brawl" - the rest is simply uninteresting for me.

There are other games I'm far more likely to buy (like Drakensang, for example).

The game also puts you as a Dark Jedi, meaning there is no choice of good or evil; you are just plain evil.

Surely it's a safe bet there'll be a tedious, inexorable "redemption" of the PC about halfway through the game, and then you switch sides.
Still, I'm somewhat interested in the game, but unless it makes an appearance on the PC...

The only other thing on that list I'm interested in is Spore. Which is mildly annoying as Spore looks and sounds like an amazing feat, if it works. I'm just not sure there's much of a game in it, beyond the incredible scale, and if it would actually be fun.

The game also puts you as a Dark Jedi, meaning there is no choice of good or evil; you are just plain evil.

Not exactly.

WE've already got two clues :

- At one point he (the main character) falls in love with someone. (This is official.)

- Second, there are picturtes out there of an "evolution set" off the main character which shows him as "Dark Apprentice", "Sith Lord", "Jedi Knight".

Therefore I assume that there are two or three possibilities of character development of the main character are open.

Nothing on that list that I'm anticipating. Spore looks intriguing, but that's about it really. I've no real hopes for FO3 as Bethesda's RPG design philosophy just does not agree with me. The rest of the games I either hadn't even heard of or have zero interest in.

Most of the really good games coming out this year are not on that list because all of these websites that put these up are very shallow and only go for the hyped up games and the games that the company is being paid to put on the list.

Hyped yes, paid for perhaps, but who knows.
I am looking forward to GTA4 but only as a PC game, I'm not buying a console for one game. I'm sure it'll be released eventually, but it may be a 2009 game.

So far, the game I'm most looking forward to in 2008 is Paradox's Europa Universalis: Rome. On the RPG front, nothing is capturing my attention, but then I'm behind the times and still need to get NWN2, so I'm in no great RPG rush.

Which doesn't say much. Halo was really praised by the XBox community, but it's one of the most repetitive FPS'es I have ever played.

Oh, come on. There are plenty of repetitive FPS games on the PC that have been praised into heaven as well. I guess Halo is kinda bad in this regard, but it works pretty well in others.

I grew up with starwars, but I find the concept of "evil" retarded and if the only thing starwars have to offer today is polygon forcepowers for failed teenagers who have issues with society, count me out.

Oh, come on. It's fiction! We're not debating morality here. Star Wars and all stories like it are based around good and evil. It's all in good fun, anyway. I don't quite understand how teenagers with issues fit into it all, though.

Carrot cookies, then?

There seem to be be a lot of Halo haters out there, all I can say is that you guys are a minority. Halo was great, get over it. Mediocre games don't sell 5 Million copies on hype alone.

3 words....

Duke Nukem Forever

It will happen.

Among the games listed, I'm only interested in FFXIII, and even then only a little. I used to love the FF games (in fact, I began my RPG addiction with the first FF way back on the good old NES), but I'm getting increasingly annoyed with Squeenix obession with sequels. It used to be that each FF game was self contained, but not they all becoming separate franchises. First, there was the god awful FFX-2, then FFVII get tons of sequels-prequels on pretty much everything (I wouldn't even be surprised to discover a FFVII game for calculators), then FFXII get a DS sequel whose's story was even introduced in the ending of the original game (not to mention it's part of a subfranchise that includes FF Tactics and Vagrant Story), and now the next FF is already a 3 game franchise with a silly latin name (Fabulationa Nada Craptalis, or something like that). Even FFIV is getting a sequel on mobile phones. >:O

I'm more interested in Dragon Quest IX, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4 and White Knight than in any of the FFXIII games, and I'm also intrigued by Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant. As for PC RPGs, I'm keeping an eye on a lot of stuff, but on Dragon Age (although with the recent acquisition of Bioware by EA, I'm a bit worried about how that game will turn), Divinity 2 and Drakensang in particular.

Oh, come on. It's fiction! We're not debating morality here. Star Wars and all stories like it are based around good and evil. It's all in good fun, anyway. I don't quite understand how teenagers with issues fit into it all, though.

Dark Jedi are not inherently evil, there have been sith lords that were closer to lawful neutral than evil, just as there has been times when the Jedi council has acted in an evil manner.

Back
Top Bottom