Skyrim - Manual Leaked

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Commanding Followers options look new. In particular, asking a follower to pick a lock. I hope the follower behavior is improved over FO3. It was pretty bad there, just not as atrocious as previous ES games.

It would be funny if the leaker is caught through the comics they had open on their desk. If this came from Bethesda's offices, someone may see it and be like, "yeah I remember such n' such had the comics on their desk along with the preview manual the other day…"

This takes me back to the pre-FO3 release days when a leak of the game came out for Xbox and not PC. The horror.

Also, the first thing I read on one of these images was:

**Warning! Do not leave things in containers that you do not own! They may not be there when you come back for them!**

Not to start a philosophical conversation on the concept of ownership or anything…

But I immediately got flashbacks from Oblivion and all of those funny little messages you could get in the game by doing both random and logical actions.

"You cannot sleep in an owned bed"…(It's a bed, no-one's here…why freaking not?! I'll accept the consequences!))
"You cannot sit in an owned chair" (huh? It's a chair...four legs...it's empty...)
"You cannot do X whilst in the air"
I'm sure there are more I've forgotten. :)

Maybe it's time to start saying goodbye to manuals.

When was the last time you actually need a manual to figure out how to play an RPG? For me like 1989 I think.

I mean you dont need a manual to tell you push "A" for the awesome button or click on the icon that looks like a bag for your inventory.

What happened to manuals that had world lore or bestiaries in them?

I wonder who leaked it an how… Looks like a fairly straightforward manual. I'd be more interested in a leaked Art book ;)

I can't believe that art book isn't being offered as a pdf somewhere, either for pre-orders or for extra cash. Literally shocks me, and just means I will download it for nothing.

Oh well.

When was the last time you actually need a manual to figure out how to play an RPG? For me like 1989 I think.

I mean you dont need a manual to tell you push "A" for the awesome button or click on the icon that looks like a bag for your inventory.

What happened to manuals that had world lore or bestiaries in them?

You want to know why there aren't really large manuals anymore? Almost every game you play now has an intro scene that tells you how to play or extensive in game help files. Back in the day when space was an issue and it took more time to make these things it was required to have manuals. Plus, I think that perhaps the UI of today has evolved enough not to be so obtuse.

Yeah? well, I think that manual has evolved into something sucky. At least they had a spell list in the Oblivion pamphlet.

Why have a manual without having a list of spells and skills? It makes no sense. Those few extra pages cost that much?

Even if they did cost a ton, I think they could afford it from the millions they're going to make.

They think the spell and skills list might scare of the casual crowd for being too overwhelming

Scare? Hell I remember taking the Pool of Radiance and Ultima manuals to school and read them whenever I could.

I really miss getting this:

Ultima V box and contents

I feel old now. It wasn't that long ago that they offered this without it being a collectors edition.

The writing in the Ultima manuals was amazing as well. It was a short story on how to play the game.

I am fine with a manual integrated into the game.

That said, I have wanted to see a party-based FP game for quite some time. I got it by modding Fallout:NV which made the game completely unbalanced but still more fun for me.

What can I say, I like people, I like people working in groups. I like party-RPG's and party dynamics. I like social settings and social encounters.

Why do you need a manual?
Controls are -thankfully- similar in every game so there's no need to dwell too much on that.

All your options, from game settings to the character's skills when leveling up, have detailed enough descriptions as part of the interface.

Any lore, bestiaries, descriptions of places and the like are often included within the game itself, usually by journal (or codex) entries or even by NPCs, books etc.

In all Elder Scrolls games you can find dozens of readable in-game books that describe places, skills spells etc without breaking the 4th wall. or at least offer you all the lore you may need without having to turn away from the game.

Finally there are plenty of websites that are willing to provide well organized guides and instructions on any subject and in any depth you may need.

Of course a well written manual is always welcome as a nice little extra.
But it's been years since I felt having one was necessary.

Need and want are two separate issues. I want a manual where the skills and spells are on actual paper where I don't have to be at a computer to read them.

Think of that librarian in Fallout 2 that preferred the old paper books to the new ways of reading a book. That dude is me.

Last edited:
@ Skaven - I agree. I like to read the manual before I even start playing the game. Usually lounging on the couch with a cup of coffee in hand ;-) I like manuals which describe every aspect of the game. They are pretty thin these days :-/ What I don't want is to have to pause my game experience to find in-game help to answer things I should have known or been able to find out before I started playing.

I'm hoping that they simply didn't scan the magic school pages - it would be odd to have absolutely nothing on magic.

"You cannot sleep in an owned bed"…(It's a bed, no-one's here…why freaking not?! I'll accept the consequences!))

This annoyed me greatly! I seem to recall the same thing in FO3 and FNV - even when I knew the occupant was long gone or dead, I still couldn't use their bed.

I am fine with a manual integrated into the game.

That said, I have wanted to see a party-based FP game for quite some time. I got it by modding Fallout:NV which made the game completely unbalanced but still more fun for me.

What can I say, I like people, I like people working in groups. I like party-RPG's and party dynamics. I like social settings and social encounters.
Exactly the same for me, I would gladly throw out balance (any chance I get) for a gang a fun interactive NPCs. I still remember a run of NWN2 with 11 NPCs. We got to Ammon's Haven, the final scene every party member gets to bark in cutscene about the imminent feeling of doom. ;)

It's too bad DA Origins sort of screwed us party types. Iirc, they limit NPC interaction and barks to the first two NPCs. I've tried bringing most if not all of the companions for interactivity but only the first and second slot seeming to banter.

FONV has some amazing NPCs and one of the best isn't even made by Obsidian, strange as that might seem. It's made by llamaRCA, she's done nothing short of amazing mod called Willow. :)

Things like Bed lock out are SO FREAKING annoying to me as well.

Never. I always have a box of game manuals beside my bed to read when I am too tired for real literature - all of games that I own, but never got around to play. Manuals are part of the art of games - like the box, the disk etc.

A description of the spells in the manual. aaah, the good old times.
Nowadays the info in manuals is simply underwhelming and unnessary.
Every one knows how to use a control pad etc etc...

Back
Top Bottom