JA:Flashback - Full Control Status Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well in-case you missed the last news-bit Full Control was having financial trouble, and on the brink of closing. Here is an E-mail sent out to backers with more information.

"Team Disbanded / Slow Communication

Big part of the slow communication and lack of progress is, that the JAF team is no more. Everyone is gone and there is me left to handle it all. Both taking over tasks from the guys who left as well as running the rest of the company.

And people have not just been moved over to other projects as some people say. They are gone gone, not to return. Very sad, but that's just the financial reality of JAF.

I try to answer all emails sent directly to me, but I simply cannot find time in the day to read+answer posts on the forums. Sorry - but that's just how it is.

Future Development on JAF

Without a team, there is also no further development on the game.

We would have liked nothing more than to continue on for ages, but no salaries lead to no people lead to no development.

We will work on a quick bug fix release in the upcoming weeks in between other work, and then that is the final version from our hands no matter what.

That bugfix will take care of (right now at least) 2 known issues that we want to fix

female mercs in prone after loading
a crash bug in the pathfinder

In my spare time sometime in the future I will send over as much of the requested modding stuff to Shanga. But my priority lies with physical goods first.

From the start of this project we wanted to get the modding part of the community running with as many possibilities as possible. And that is still everyone's goal to see the awesome stuff that can be done in the future by the talent out there.

Best

Thomas Lund

Sole survivor of the JAF team, signing off"
Thank you ChaosTheory for posting the e-mail.

More information.

Very sad that the team of Full Control is gone. They did good game with Space Hulk Ascension (the "2nd" Space Hulk game). Well, I'm quite sure that given time and money they would have done eventually a good game out of Jagged Alliance Flashback... Too bad they bought the license and because they are gone it's going to be hard to find any dev in the near future who would like to finally after 15 years attempt to make Jagged Alliance 3.... Sad news for gamers...

Nice to hear that they are still taking care of the physical stuff.
Question is if they do it out of feeling obliged to it because they are such "nice" people or because the actually company still exists and can't allow to neglect it for legal reasons.
In any case, looking forward to the physical items!

It's always sad to hear people getting laid off, in games dev or somewhere else. Though, all of what I heard/read it was simply not a very good game. So the only fault lies with the company itself. Can it be so hard to make a faithful REMAKE of the good JA? Just better graphics, modern UI and no shenanigans?

And i planned to grab Space Hulk: Ascension next month:(

I've bought JA: Flashback and the Space Hulk Collection (the first Space Hulk) and i loved Space Hulk for being a faithul reproduction of the board game (i know, Ascension is made for a larger public, which is not a bad idea). JA: Flashback was not that bad and i consider it better than the Jagged Alliance: Back in Action and Crossfire, but that's just me. It's still amazing what they did with so little money. Clearly they've underestimated the amount of money needed for a game like JA, but i can't help myself to admire what they did with so little. And if the community can mod Flasback, that might end up looking even better.

If I'm not completly mistaken then the Space Hulk team is still there and only the other half the JA:F team is gone. This means that FC is not gone at the moment. I think there a still some things planned for Space Hulk.

I liked BIA better since Flashback is too simplistic to me, but neither is really all that spectacular. JA seems cursed.

I liked BIA better since Flashback is too simplistic to me, but neither is really all that spectacular. JA seems cursed.

It's not cursed, it's just that everyone who takes on the franchise lately thinks they can make it better.

But what if. What IF it was perfect to begin with? So just make a sequel and don't dick with it…

If there's a studio out there with the courage to do that, they will be successful.

Back
Top Bottom