Might & Magic Heroes VII - Town Development

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The latest post on the Might & Magic Heroes VII website talks about Town Development. Some of you maybe intrested as the last game had changes some didn't like.

Town development in Heroes VII

Towns are the heart of a hero’s kingdom. They are shaped to serve his ambitions and his needs.

Each faction has its own town structure. Many buildings are common to all factions, but some are specific. Also, as all factions have different approach of architecture, culture and urbanism, therefore towns have a different structure depending on their faction.

For instance, Academy towns have access to Magic Guilds earlier, and can develop specific buildings to improve their Magic Guilds.

Haven towns have fast access to the strongest possible walls. Stronghold towns offer dwellings before more elaborate buildings.

Prices also differ according to each faction, especially since the most elaborate buildings require rare resources, which create different needs in resources for each faction. For instance, Sylvan towns require more starsilver than most, when Stronghold rley a lot on wood.
More information.

Last edited:
Have they mentioned if they're bringing back the old resource system (wood, ore, and several other items) or are they keeping the H6 system (only wood, ore, and one other item)?

That is actually quite an interesting post. Greater variation in town development is a pretty big plus for me, as the HoMM6 had quite generic towns. That being said, HoMM6 was overall a vast improvement over HoMM5.

By the way, what do we know about these Limbic guys? They developed MMX and some patches or what not for HoMM6, but what's their story? How did they suddenly get to work on such a legendary franchise, and what happened to Black Hole, who developed HoMM6? I've read something about how HoMM6 was actually their downfall despite being a great game.

The whole thing just seems rather confusing to me.

I didn't find HoMM6 very fun actually. I wouldn't call it an improvement at all. The advancement system for heroes felt bland and boring, all captured towns you can convert to your own faction, so no point in mixed armies. And everything is made in a lackluster shade of grey.

Last edited:
Have they mentioned if they're bringing back the old resource system (wood, ore, and several other items) or are they keeping the H6 system (only wood, ore, and one other item)?
Yes and no. Yes there are more resources, but no, they are not the classic ones (only wood, ore and gold, the rest are some lore related resources like shadowsteel or starsilver).

You can read the whole story here.

That being said, HoMM6 was overall a vast improvement over HoMM5.
That's against the thinking of most Heroes community. H6 was over simplified in many ways. Seems like they're stepping back from those changes in H7.

By the way, what do we know about these Limbic guys? They developed MMX and some patches or what not for HoMM6, but what's their story? How did they suddenly get to work on such a legendary franchise, and what happened to Black Hole, who developed HoMM6? I've read something about how HoMM6 was actually their downfall despite being a great game.

The whole thing just seems rather confusing to me.
The first I knew from Limbic is when they started supporting H6. As far as I know they had collaborated with Ubi in some minor games. Later they were responsible for the H6 expansion and MMX Legacy.

With Black Hole there was a real debacle. H6 had a lot of problems when it got released, though a lot of them come actually from the design which Black Hole weren't responsible for. They run out of budget in the end of development cycle and started to fight with Ubi. Finally they ceased to work on the game short after being released and even someone related to BH showed up on forums disclosing internal information about the relationship, and blaming Ubi for a lot of the things that were wrong.

Limbic came in then, but apparently the game engine was so proprietary and hard coded (it came from a previous engine BH used for a Warhammer game), that it resulted really hard to fix issues or add content. However Ubi managed to release an addon featuring one new faction (dark elves dungeon).

I mostly like what they've made so far in the franchise and I think they are a serious and capable group, though they aren't a big player in the industry and their budgets are probably low, but I'm optimistic that H7 will result in something better than H6. As good as the old classic I don't know.

MMHVI was way better than V, in my opinion. Then again, I'm all about the roleplaying aspects - which were vastly improved. The maps were also bigger - which is important to me.

The latest post on the Might & Magic Heroes VII website talks about Town Development. Some of you maybe intrested as the last game had changes some didn't like.

I might give this a try solely because it's been done by Limbic and I think they did a great job with MMX.

I still play HOMM I - III and occasionally IV but I couldn't get into the Ubisoft version of the game. When I tried playing HOMM V every time Queen Isabel would yodel "Griffin Eternal!" I would find myself yelling "You're not Catherine Ironfist!" at the computer, so had to stop playing.

My HoMM in order of preference is:
3 > 6 > 2 = 5 > 1 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > 4

I have kept HoMM III on my hard drives since 1999. With Wake of the Gods mod also.

HoMMIII I can remember having the demo on a work computer, as it was small enough to hide. Hours and hours of fun with that game....

My HoMM in order of preference is:
3 > 6 > 2 = 5 > 1 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > 4

Mine would be 3-4-5-6-2. The original was so long ago I hardly remember it...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I bought III a few years ago but can't remember what site as it isn't on this computer. Been login into sites trying to find it so I can down load an play now...

Mine would be 3-4-5-6-2. The original was so long ago I hardly remember it…

Here's mine:
3 > 2 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 1

HoMM1 was great at the time, and I remember playing it quite a lot, but it is quite lacking compared to the rest of the series. I did enjoy it more than the original King's Bounty though, which was a predecessor of sorts to HoMM.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I bought III a few years ago but can't remember what site as it isn't on this computer. Been login into sites trying to find it so I can down load an play now…

I've got it all on GOG. I assume you checked there? At any rate, they're often on offer on GOG for next to nothing, so getting it again would only cost you a few dollars or euro.

Considering how much I enjoyed MMX I really hope my new HoMM top list will start with number 7…it all comes down to how faithful they are to the earlier iterations. If they go back and look at number 3 which I think is generally considered the best and improve from there instead of just looking one or two steps back there's a good chance they can deliver something great.

My perfect HoMM would be Homm 3 on steroids. Just give me that experience but with even more of pretty much everything…12 factions with 3 hero types and 10-12 creatures each should do it. ;)

Last edited:
I've got it all on GOG. I assume you checked there? At any rate, they're often on offer on GOG for next to nothing, so getting it again would only cost you a few dollars or euro.

Ya, I checked all the sites I have bought off of with no luck. Not a big deal like you said it will only be a few dollars to buy again.

Ya, I checked all the sites I have bought off of with no luck. Not a big deal like you said it will only be a few dollars to buy again.

Whichever site you bought it from would have sent you a confirmation email, so just do a search for 'heroes of might' in your email clients and you'll probably find what you need. That's how I search for before buying any old game to make sure I haven't bought it already.

Back
Top Bottom