Might & Magic X - Review @ Digitally Downloaded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Digitally Downloaded has posted their review for Might & Magic X: Legacy. Below is the conclusion so be sure to read his ten resons why he gave the game a 5/5.

As I mentioned in my little opinion piece last week, Ubisoft took a risk developing a game that doesn't conform to modern expectations of game design. Might & Magic X is a love letter to classic RPG delves, and I hope it's a big success to show that there are people that still like these kinds of games.

And there you have it. My first 5-star game for the year. Last year Ni No Kuni was a January Game of the Year contender in my mind. Up there is my ten reasons that Ubisoft has done the same with Might & Magic X this year.
More information.

Last edited:
Here you go guys. This is what all the fuss is about. Can't get enough of this game.

Well I can finally laugh my arse off. A reviewer did give the game a perfect sore.:lol:
The only opinion that really matters is your own as I always say. I'm glad gamers enjoy it, but it's most definitely not worth anything over a 7/10. <—(Opinion)^^

I'm waiting for a review that gives the game a 10/10 were I can laugh my arse off.:lol:

I knew a site would eventually.^^

It may be a bit high but the fun factor is a 5/5 or 10/10. That is the most important stat for me just like might is for my Bladedancer :)

5 of 5? Sorry, but this game no matter how fun it is, just can't go into a masterpiece level.

Act 1 is confusing, the purpose of the cook and packhorse is explained nowhere, you need to google for something and stumble upon an info that there is a tooltip over day/night in low right corner you need for some shrines which is stated nowhere in the game, the story is mediocre, the lighthouse puzzle is rotten, the strategy is practically only one - buy/use pots, pots and only pots, the most important skill for any class is health/vitality like we're playing the west MMORPG where only health matters, etc.
Act 2 is more fun but the story is still mediocre. Dunno what happens in later acts.

And this guy has no complaints? Okay. Maybe he doesn't care what's the packhorse used for, but I do and yet, I still don't know as I cant be arsed to google for it. Maybe later.

I think 5/5 is too much just like I think 6/10 from Gamespot is too low.
For all the people who have been whining for more turn base and grid games are the @#$%^, one gets released and suddenly its an about face. "No, we wanted MM6-MM8! It's too old school." I think we have only proved that there is no pleasing a gamer.
Everything Joxer mention is to me is only a quirk adding to the charm. I don't even like turn-based. But I am addicted to this game. I would score it a 8.5 because there are no perfect games. Some slow downs out in the forest. Maybe mark off for the about face on 32 bit systems from beta to release.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a disaster! If I did, I'd already have it uninstalled and forgotten.
Act 1 should get 7/10, act 2 is better and deserves at least 7.5 or even 8. But it's just acts not the whole game. I don't believe the rest of acts stink, so wouldn't give less than 7/10. And not just because but because to me the most important thing is inside. No (obvious) bugs!

And from what I've seen gamespot's 6 is based on:
-1 because you don't need an expensive gamepad to play it and it's PC only game
-1 because there are no fancy movement combat animations and hell they have a story included in the game, not to mention default subtitles and we hate letters in games since we can't read! Tooltips, lorebooks, so many words on HUD, our heads will explode from so much info! And where the hell is the arrow pointer to the quest target on the map?
-1 because there is no face (any known name, even Romero would do) involved in game development and there is no DLC milk-o-rama
-1 because it's singleplayer only RPG and we hate that genre, give us a MMO with nonexistant AI shooter for god's sakes!
-1 they didn't pay for positive review
+1 oops, it's not EA, others don't have to pay for positive review

Last edited:
-1 they didn't pay for positive review
+1 oops, it's not EA, others don't have to pay for positive review
I was trying not to say this because I didn't want to be called a fan-boy but hey you're right.

My opinion: Any game has flows, any game has highlights. Score depends on a particular reviewer. If every reviewer gives high score to a game, than either the game is good or it was made by a big company and few professional reviewers want to mess with a big company. If every reviewer gives poor score than it probably means that the game is poor indeed or it was made by unknown company with poor advetisement or by a company with bad reputation. I don't have any problem with someone who give 5 out of 5. It's his/her personal opinion and it does not have to be approved by anyone else. For example, when I started to play LOTRO I was ready to give it 4 out 10. In the middle of the game it was 9 of 10 for me and now it is just a good memory :)

Strangly enough, Might & Magic X does not seem to me like a real Might & Magic game. It's reminds me other good old games like Stonekeep. It reminds me the old school adjusted to modern playstyle and that's good enough in my opinion. I'm not too far into the game yet. Just finished lighthouse, doing Castle. I definitely want to see other locations and events...

...by the way, last years I try to avoid any guides. While they help a lot, they often spoil the fun of discovery as well.

…by the way, last years I try to avoid any guides. While they help a lot, they often spoil the fun of discovery as well.

I agree. I think at least half the fun I used to have with the old games was the fact that they were damn hard to figure out, and you couldn't easily find the answer to any question by alt-tabbing out and opening your web browser. If you really got frustrated, about all you could do was check some special interest BBS or call a hint line. Sure, it used to be annoying to get 100 hours into a game and realize you'd been playing it wrong the whole time, but not as annoying as knowing how to solve every problem before you even run into it :)

And from what I've seen gamespot's 6 is based on:
I guess the actual review wasn't part of what you've seen?

"Not much of this is spelled out, and the tooltips offered up at the start of the game don't do much to explain the basics. All becomes clear if you're patient, though, or if you remember doing this stuff many years ago. Nevertheless, the game could use more hand-holding in the beginning."

He says the battles are too hard when you've got the game set to easier difficulty levels: "Monsters flank and surround you in almost every other fight, frequently spawning in out of nowhere to your rear."

He thought the story was pretty dry, especially the opening of the game.

"There isn't much role-playing to be had here; the game is a dry tactical affair where combat is the first order of the day, followed up by the odd puzzle."

He says monster variety is pretty low, leading to repetitive battles. Animations aren't very well done. Sound effects are sparse. Characters scream out their death cries before they actually get hit.

He grumbles a little about being stuck in squares. (I probably would have grumbled more. If you insist on using something like that, at least use hexes. It would be better if you just let the PC do a quick distance formula, though.)

Back
Top Bottom