The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I always called that band "Mötörenköpf", which is a weird rendering of an translation of its real name.

Also reminds me of a German Kid's TV show called "Lemmi und die Schmöker", Lemmi was a bookworm, then ("Schmöker" is an older slang term for in general books you really love to read).

Not my kind of music, but even I can recognize the great performance. From the Kennedy Center Honors, and especially for you who don't have/don't watch American tv, here's:

pibbur who also likes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXU7268Z50

It was a breathtaking performance ... I love watching Carole King fan-girling it (King wrote the song). Cool stuff.

Kind of a scattershot mix today. Several toons I hadn't listened to in a good while. Enjoy.

"The Weight of Love" by Tears Run Rings

"Bittersweet" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters (the live video caught my eye so there ya go)

"Ruby Soho" by Rancid

Perturbator - Dangerous Days
Full album. So retro, but so fresh.

Thanks for that. Like that driving feeling. Great for work. Adding this to my buy list. :)

EDIT: Out of Stock on amazon. darn. Found it on CD on Ebay. :)

Not my kind of music, but even I can recognize the great performance. From the Kennedy Center Honors, and especially for you who don't have/don't watch American tv, here's:

Blocked already. :( And here is another link for it

Last edited:
A Perfect Circle - mer de noms

i'm about 10 years late listening to this CD, I've had it forever, and it's one of those that just never resonated. I put it on once again today and gave it a spin , and it finally struck that chord.

that's why never get rid of any of my music, I need to be at a certain place in my life for it to touch me in the right way. APC FTW

Thanks for that. Like that driving feeling. Great for work. Adding this to my buy list. :)

No problem. And, yeah it is great for work!

"I Am The Night" album, is good also. When you get bored from Dangerous Days, you can switch over to this one. :)

That was great. For classical music I prefer the twentieh century, but I didn't know about this composer.

Thank you.

pibbur who think's mr Varese is somewhat similar to Stravinskij, on crack or not.

I got introduced to Varese through 'musique concrete' styles ... Love his stuff.

Though my fave 20th century stuff is more in the 'Minimalism' school with Steve Reich, Terry Reilly and to an extend Philip Glass.

Ahh. Two more composers to look at.

My favourite so far is Stravinskij, but I also like Bartok, Orff, Holst and Janacek.

pibbur who already have a couple of glasses

Love those guys as well. Here is one of my favorites from Reich, his "Music for 18 Musicians" from 1978:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkd46hcRag

Also I love his 'Different Trains' from 1988, which is a holocaust piece that reflects back at before, during and after the war using string quartet and recorded voices and train sounds. Moving stuff.

Listening to the new David Gilmour album and the definitive Steven Wilson remaster of Relayer by Yes.

This is a really nice instrumental from Gilmour's Rattle That Lock featuring the echoing reverbing guitar master in a Shine on You Crazy Diamond style, sort of.

And Then…

@pibbur Both of those videos are blocked in my "region". But I know and like both songs. :)

Jeff Beck with David Gilmour - Jerusalem (Live at RAH, 2009-07-04)

And this is nice too, just try to ignore the audience noise at the beginning. :)

Last edited:
I got introduced to Varese through 'musique concrete' styles … Love his stuff.
I had a "synthesizer phase" while in high school where I learned to appreciate the use of "strange" sounds. In general, I enjoy the experimentation of timbre as an elemental part of music.

I am by no means an expert on Musique Concrète but from what I have heard of it (e.g. Stockhausen, Schaeffer), it isn't always "easy" to enjoy it on an emotional level. It is certainly interesting but very often it doesn't surpass the level of "interesting", unfortunately.

If you know some works that are worth listening to, please feel free to recommend some :).

Though my fave 20th century stuff is more in the 'Minimalism' school with Steve Reich, Terry Reilly and to an extend Philip Glass.
In all honesty, I never understood the appeal of Minimalism. Sure, when done well, it can be very pleasing, effective and create emotionally powerful results. But I can't help but feel that the self-imposed limitations and repetitiveness prevents it from exceeding a certain level of depth.

I can understand a composer creating a Minimalist work trying to get the most out of it within a given "rule set" as a challenge. But the idea of being an "exclusive" Minimalist composer, that I never understood. I guess I am more drawn to "Megalomaniac" type of music like that of Wagner, Mahler or Scriabin :).

Back
Top Bottom