Elder Scrolls Online

Thanks Thrasher. I'm on a mission to stay solo to keep things challenging. Guess that rules out a mount for the foreseeable future but I'll survive.

I do disagree that ESO is "typical" of MMO's as far as crafting success. For example time invested in the crafting grind in LOTRO always yields superior equipment. Spend 2 hours working on it and the yields, even with low critical success percentages still produces when you do things in volume. Crafting in ESO has horribly low yields of crafting accelerant components that are required to produce similar superior equipment. You are forced to buy accelerants from guilds at extreme prices to generate superior equipment. In LOTRO you also buy accelerants at AH but *not* at idiotic prices extorted by privileged guilds because the LOTRO AH is publicly accessible and has better supply.

In the end I'm probably only peripherally complaining about crafting. It is "broken" only because the economy is based on private guild membership. Crafting is collateral damage I guess.

Last edited:
LoTRO currently having lower prices isn't because the AH is global. It's because of the supplies quantity being high with a majority of maxed characters and the F2Per's max gold having a low cap.

It is still a money sink because you still have to buy materials to produce anything that wont have a return on investment (outside of a few things).

ESO has expensive material because they are rare drops and gold farming at higher level is super easy which means everything is inflated.

But in lotro I can farm and sell on AH so relatively speaking everything is less expensive. And by default a public marketplace will always have better supply than a closed one. Not everyone is in an ESO guild and certainly these is significant untapped supply as a result?

The guilds I use all have public stalls somewhere in Tamriel, so they aren't totally closed but may be a bit hard to find sometimes. :)

It's also where most of my sales come from...

This game levels way too fast. I gained 2 levels farming last night trying to build an inventory of mats to craft gear. I now have nice gear but for the cost of Tempers it is definitely not worth doing considering how fast gear becomes obsolete. I paid 5400 for a stack of 20 Dwarven Oil. By crafting my own gear like this I'm making no headway economically. Level 26 Templar and no horse. My enthusiasm for this game is waning.

Almost all modern MMO's you lvl too fast now. I remember in EQ I spent over two weeks in dungeons like Unrest and Mistmoore. Places like lower guk you could spend over a month to check everything out.

I enjoyed ESO but once I hit max lvl I got bored pretty fast. Quests were fun and exploring but you would spend maybe 1 or 2 days in a zone. It was like a treadmill.

Don't bother improving your gear with tempers. It's a waste. Also most of the gear you find as you level up will outdate your crafted stuff quickly. I wouldn't bother crafting gear for yourself to use until higher levels. Food and potions might be useful, but I didn't bother with those until veteran ranks.

By crafting my own gear like this I'm making no headway economically. Level 26 Templar and no horse. My enthusiasm for this game is waning.
I have two characters who craft only occasionally (my sorcerer tried to go into crafting full-time but decied that there was too much to explore before he could do that); the only money they spend is on repairs (and some are of the opinion that you don't need those, either).
When my sorcerer Cassius - a heavy armor summoner/storm tank - hit V1, he had already bought three horses. I parked him to play on with my medium armor siphon/bow nightblade, and when she hit (regular, not V) level 16, she bought the last horse available for regular money. Okay, she did that with Cassius' help - he had some money deposited, not all that much, though-, but still.

Now that I have all the horses, I might invest in equipment. We'll see.
As for ESO preferring tanks - which is fine with me as tanking is my natural behavior in MMORPGs, standing in the way while drinking my coffee is something I can do quite well - yes, I noticed that, too. It's amazing how little trouble Cassius ran into. His unlucky predecessor, a botched Knight build, died so often while Cassius hardly ever dies. My nightblade is squishy, yes, but her damage is conderably better so it kind of evens out here.
But for my third char - a templar - I will go for the tank again.

I have two characters who craft only occasionally (my sorcerer tried to go into crafting full-time but decied that there was too much to explore before he could do that); the only money they spend is on repairs (and some are of the opinion that you don't need those, either).
When my sorcerer Cassius - a heavy armor summoner/storm tank - hit V1, he had already bought three horses. I parked him to play on with my medium armor siphon/bow nightblade, and when she hit (regular, not V) level 16, she bought the last horse available for regular money. Okay, she did that with Cassius' help - he had some money deposited, not all that much, though-, but still.

Now that I have all the horses, I might invest in equipment. We'll see.
As for ESO preferring tanks - which is fine with me as tanking is my natural behavior in MMORPGs, standing in the way while drinking my coffee is something I can do quite well - yes, I noticed that, too. It's amazing how little trouble Cassius ran into. His unlucky predecessor, a botched Knight build, died so often while Cassius hardly ever dies. My nightblade is squishy, yes, but her damage is conderably better so it kind of evens out here.
But for my third char - a templar - I will go for the tank again.

After a big gear upgrade my Nightblade has improved significantly and now sits a level 28, one above my Templar. With improved medium armor and new dual wield skills he's pretty well off. The game itself however is starting to get pretty repetitive. The quests are creative but I'm not feeling invested in the world. Whereas in LOTRO the combat is less exciting but the world feels richer to me somehow. Hard to explain but I'm taking an MMO break in any event. Once I start to notice the "system" I have to take a step back or the magic is ruined for me. Black Desert is sitting on my hard drive now too. Need to try that post hiatus.

Keep trying out different skills and attack types, and leveling them up. That will keep the game interesting up until level 50 or so, after which it's more about optimization. Also find friends to do some of the daily dungeons and the group dungeons. :)

Just been to Anvil for the first time. I'd so love to break into the castle to sneak through the guard rooms like I did back in Oblivion, but my Brotherhood character is not very good at this stuff :p.

Shield nerfs? Oh okay, so that's why my main keeps dying so often lately ^^. But I prefer PvE over PvP, anyway, so it'll be back to te environment then.

What's a lot more obvious in terms of changes (at least for me and my main battlemage tank char) are the recent vampirism changes.
Cassius used to be concerned about remaining well groomed and less susceptible to fire (i.e. remaining at vampirism phase 1 if possible), but as he depends on his vampirism skills a lot, it has become impossible for him. Now he's a solid phase 4 and doesn't even see the need to feed on unwary bandits any more :/.

Well, it's fun, kind of. And the inherent leeching powers come handy in PvE. I just find it a little bit sad that nobody really notices if you look like this … with the exception of some NPCs who make comments about your obvious lack of sleep …

Attachments

• stinkiundcass.JPG
    stinkiundcass.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 88
Sliding around on your butt is another fine one.

I'm getting this Friday probably as the Gold Edition is coming out.

What server are people on and is there a Guild?

I am on us server, and there are a few people playing on the Europe server. No rpgwatch guild since there aren't enough of us, I believe on same server. May be worth investigating though. I am in 2 trading guilds, 2 PvP guilds, and one pve guild if you want an invite. :)

Back
Top Bottom