The TV Series discussion thread

Daredevil . . . sigh . . .:brood:

Great acting, great martial arts choreography, nice set design but . . .
questionable writing/plotting.

In the 4 new sci fi series I was following this season (Daredevil, Magicians, Expanse. Colony) I hated all the leads. None were likeable albeit they all had heroic motives.(The male lead in Colony, I kinda liked, but that show wasn't really sci fi)

In the Daredevil series it appeared they were trying to cast our hero as some kind of anti-hero, ie a flawed protagonist with heroic motivations. Unfortunately in Daredevil he was so flawed that I simply had no sympathy for him. Sure I wanted him to win his fights because I like the martial arts trope of one guy against many, it's terrific fun.

But, the conflict dialogues between Karen and Matt made no sense. Matt's love interests made no sense. Matts dereliction of his attorney duties made no sense. And far to often his arrival in court seemed far to scripted. And who didn't see the Electra resolution coming from a chapter away.

I did like the Punisher though, too bad the 2nd season didn't deal mostly with him. Does he know or doesn't he know . . . he knows. I loved how his fingers twitched when he found his treasure trove. Electra was great along with Stick, Fisk and basically everyone in the cast. Even the evil DA was deliciously evil (in a bureaucratic way). I stuck with the show but as I watched I kept on saying . . . Aw come on, far to often.

I doubt I'll be back - unless I hear they give Karen a powerful gun and the 3 season is only one episode long . . .:lol:

Last edited:
Anyone watching The Catch?
Synopsis promises a mediocre "been there done that" show.
Genre is supposed to be crime, drama, thriller, but I bet it's hardcore drama with elements from other generes.

If only it was something or somewhere exotic and if only cast was exotic. Filming location is sadly numerous times used L.A. Mireille Enos took the lead role, and her sin in my case is doing the Hollywood's silly remake of the masterpiece Forbrydelsen.

I'm gonna skip this.
The books are the same way.
That's why I stopped reading those milk-em-dry books. Series are so far so good, dunno, but I don't think I'll watch the current season till it's done airing so I don't have to wait weeks for another episode.

Last edited:
In the 4 new sci fi series I was following this season (Daredevil, Magicians, Expanse. Colony) I hated all the leads. None were likeable albeit they all had heroic motives.(The male lead in Colony I kinda liked, but that show wasn't really sci fi)

What do you mean Colony is not really sci-fi? Something doesn't have to have laser battles to be sci-fi.

What do you mean Colony is not really sci-fi? Something doesn't have to have laser battles to be sci-fi.

ummm. did you watch that show???

Imagine you are invited to a Halloween masquerade party. When you get there, there's a big sign over the door that says "Welcome to our Annual Halloween Masquerade party." There is a carved pumpkin on the porch. However when you get inside nobody is dressed up and everybody is standing around and talking about their kids or their work problems. You can not detect any type of Halloween atmosphere or festivity.

To me, Colony was like that. Colony was really a spy drama with a couple of sci fi trappings. If you take out the drones and reduce the size of that ginormous wall, there was no need for any aliens at all and the enemy could have easily been some earthly superpower.

Of course sci fi is not about laser battles. Some of my favorite Sci fis had very few action sequences like Gattica, or Dark City. I recall a 30 year old series called Tripods, that also dealt with post alien occupation. Interestingly, that series while set in the future had a medieval setting due to the Alien Occupation. And it too had a location that certain people were taken to. But in spite of it medieval backdrop. it felt vastly more sci fi than Colony.

However, if you liked it, then enjoy. It's not a bad thing if you liked it. But for me, I won't be back. (I did watch the entire first season)

Last edited:
I recall a 30 year old series called Tripods, that also dealt with post alien occupation.
Whoot. Thanks for reminding me, I have yet to read the conclusion to the story (the series only covered the first two of four books IIRC). Marvelous atmosphere.

Yep, I was so into the series at the time, I got tired of waiting and went ahead are read the 3rd part of the Tripods Trilogy. It was great.

I am totally decompressing after over 800 hours with Fallout 3. I have been watching a lot of TV.

Still watching Voyager episodes and hopping throughout the seasons and finding it unbelievably excellent.

Also checked out an app on Roko called Toon Googles. Nothing but Saturday Morning cartoons but I found one interesting tid bit called Bolts and Blip. A Canadian entry from 2010 filmed in 3d.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolts_and_Blip

The 26 episode action comedy SCI FI show is about an earth future where all wars have been outlawed and now all conflicts are now settled by Battle Bots on the Moon. However, in the new peaceful earth, the conflicts can be boiled down something as simple as does Tommy get Chicken or does his sister, Donna get Pizza for dinner. The bots are set loose to determine the winner. The battle bots are arranged in a team league. While the games aren't fixed the teams are kinda stacked to favor one squad. Also bullets are outlawed so they use Water to rust out their opponents. It was an interesting all robot world and it made me laugh a number of times. The show has a number of memorable characters, and while there is only a hint of some character arcs, there was enough there to keep me watching.

(Colony) ummm. did you watch that show???

Still watching it, I'm on the 5th or so episode out of 10 so halfway through. It's still Science Fiction, even if I don't see the aliens, they are there, they are constantly mentioned, making you wonder about what they are, what are their intentions, etc. A "post-apocalyptic" world, with major cities destroyed, population turned on each other... Yes, to me it's 100% science fiction.

Game of Thrones. Obviously. My wife had it marked on the calendar and we broke out some rare kyara based incense for the occasion. ;)

Loving "Colony" too, actually. I thought it was really slow to get going but once it did, it held my interest.

Anyone else watching "Wayward Pines" and excited about the May 25th release of season 2?

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Anyone else watching "Wayward Pines" and excited about the May 25th release of season 2?

It did get season 2?! Didn't know but was hoping it will, it's one of the best shows in past 10 years IMO. Highly possible to become one of scifi classics.

gimme gimme!

I watched it about a year ago, but lost all interest mid-season after they revealed the whole thing.

Last edited:
eh?

They revealed what whole thing in GoT midseason? Sean Bean's destiny?

If it's about Colony, dunno, never watched it. Nor plan to.

If it's WP, dunno what they revealed midseason, but I'm pretty sure no revelation could predict character transformation Melissa Leo will show on screen - from deadly mistress of doom who juggles injection cap in her mouth to the the redeemed key figure in saving the future while in epilogue being completely absent which left the question what the hell happened.

This is how hyped I am for the Twin Peaks revival.....I read the entire cast list that was posted yesterday, all two hundred and seventeen names. I did not see the name of Michael Anderson on this list, which makes no sense at all. Perhaps they are keeping it wrapped in plastic......

Welp.

tumblr_o6j2s7rV3F1rszoo3o1_r2_540.gif

First 2 episodes of Game of Thrones this season has been sweet. You have a cleric casting a resurrection spell for gods sake. That alone makes it the greatest series ever. If you disagree go play your first person shooters and get off my RPG lawn :)

First 2 episodes of Game of Thrones this season has been sweet. You have a cleric casting a resurrection spell for gods sake. That alone makes it the greatest series ever. If you disagree go play your first person shooters and get off my RPG lawn :)

Sorry, that was very predictable, not to say I am not enjoying that story of the show.
I am really enjoying the "Faceless Man" story line the best.

Sorry, that was very predictable, not to say I am not enjoying that story of the show.
I am really enjoying the "Faceless Man" story line the best.

Being predictable doesn't make it bad. It started back in season 2 (I think?) when they showed a dude resurrecting some other dude, so it's not like they brought him back because the character was popular.

I wonder though, if she can do it now, can she go and revive Stanis? (if he actually died that is)

About got season finale. Imo it is obvious that
The priest, Melisandre is going to use her magic to ressurrect Jon Snow. We already saw in season 3 how the other red priest, Rhoros of Myr had revived Beric Dondarrion. Everytime Beric fell in battle, Myr managed to bring him back from the death. I belive it had happened six times at least.

As I told you so! ;)

But yeah, it was a really predictable outcome. No way they were going to permanently kill him at this point.

Back
Top Bottom