Skyrim - Skyrim compared to KOA: Reckoning @ Gamespy

aries100

SasqWatch
i like the article
but round 7 (bad guys) in no way is skyrims. 1 KoA has better bad guys personality wize, secondly AI wise. Only dragons stand from the crowd.
only that what I really care about is the main story and my role in that world (either how I can shape it or to be given a first row seat to the show, not skyrim trying to trick me into believing the first)

So what's next? Compare Deus Ex:HR to Battlefield 3?

It might seem like a minor point, but the main thing that lets Reckoning down in my opinion are the faces. While Skyrim's system allows for a lot of variation and personality, Reckoning only have a few very bland faces to go around, making one NPC indistinguishable from the next. It wouldn't be so bad if the camera didn't close in on conversations, showing the faces in all their expressionles blandness, though.

The upside is how almost every side quest in Reckoning ties in with the main story and theme somehow. Unlike Skyrim, nothing seems tacked on or thrown in just for the sake of it.

That said, I don't think the games are all that similar anyway. Reckoning is much more akin to Sacred 2.

Reckoning screams for multiplayer, as it begins to feel rather samey (and lonely) as a singleplayer game. Skyrim, on the other hand, is a 100% single-player experience, as are all TES games. I can't imagine even wanting to play Skyrim with someone else; whereas, I find myself constantly thinking "wouldn't this be great in co-op" as I play through Reckoning. With it's Diablo-style treasure system, action-y combat, and light-weight story, it would make a nice fantasy alternative to Borderlands, IMO.

Next up they compare Fable to Ultima VII. Or whatever.

I forgot gamespy even existed till just now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom