Help me pick a game.

Same here

3rd'ed

Quite a few of the very regular posters on this site seem to like the single character large sprite/first person games, to which the well known ones are the usual Gothic - Risen - Elder Scrolls - Witcher, but that's the category I have the least interest in out of all the RPG varients. When I think of single character RPGs I tend to think of aRPGs like the early Divinities or the Diablos and Diablo-likes.

There are so many games that would probably fill the same itch from a whole raft of categories for anything first-personish, single character, from adventures games to stealth games to horror games to action-adventure etc etc etc, and I wouldn't know where to start with recommendations, particularly as the two most commonly recommended, Dues Ex and System Shocks have, obviously, already been mentioned.

There's always Mass Effect...

I need stats and skills to mess with most of the time. Deus Ex and System Shock are outliers for me. They're normally not my cup of tea, but were great as an exception.

As far as the old games, they weren't old when I played them. Most of the time when I replay these, it is for nostalgia's sake. I've played almost everything crpg-related in my 37 years of owning a pc. Sometimes a handful drop through the cracks, like Outland mentioned above.

Even a nut misses the occasional gem, so I created the thread.

Mass Effect isn't a single-character game, and I think the nut already played that anyways. :)

Yes, Bioware have invented this odd middle-ground where you play a single character game but they add AI bots to your 'party', which you can kinda control, but normally it doesn't make a huge difference if you do or not, at least on normal difficulties. From NWN onwards I learnt to just treat them as stuff that's happening while I'm single charactering. But I can see the point of the pedantry.

I need stats and skills to mess with most of the time. Deus Ex and System Shock are outliers for me. They're normally not my cup of tea, but were great as an exception.

As far as the old games, they weren't old when I played them. Most of the time when I replay these, it is for nostalgia's sake. I've played almost everything crpg-related in my 37 years of owning a pc. Sometimes a handful drop through the cracks, like Outland mentioned above.

Even a nut misses the occasional gem, so I created the thread.

I thought you had. I was expecting your 'my played already' list to consume a good 10 screens worth...

You can try Wizards & Warriors, 'nut. Yes, it's a bit combat heavy, but there are quests, guild quests, interesting character progression with stats and awesome mages and magic schools. It also looks pretty for an older game and is a lot of fun to play. First-person exploration, dungeons, puzzles, the works. It is, however, a party-based game. Very fun game, though, and quite overlooked.

Mistmare! Did that ever get a decent patch? I played a demo and although it showed some promise, it has some of the worst controls I have ever experienced.
I wonder if it is abandoned ware?

Mistmare! Did that ever get a decent patch? I played a demo and although it showed some promise, it has some of the worst controls I have ever experienced.
I wonder if it is abandoned ware?
You can get the game on ebay or amazon for few bucks.

Yes they released several patches. The latest is v1.7 and it fixes a lot of things including controls which are somehow similar to Gothic ((third person, mouse look, WSAD keyboard). Still can be hard to manage for an average gamer but after you learn the basics you can enjoy the game. Unfortunately it runs on LithTech engine so it can be a challenge to set it up properly on a modern system.

In my opinion it is a very overlooked game as it has an excellent story, quests, unique setting and decent presentation.
It got horrible reviews based on initial release because most of the reviewers did not get pass control scheme and ended up playing after few hours.
I finished it with the latest patch a year after release and really enjoyed it. Make no mistake it is a hard game full of text and it also has time limit on some events so no go for occasional gamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_n-qAmpFoQ

Well, Ultima IX won't run on my pc at all. The avatar just floats around taking one step in 30 feet. It took 2 minutes to walk over and click on the book. I'm sure if I wanted to mess with patching, backdating drivers, etc. I could get it running but I want to play, not tweak.

Since that didn't work, I decided to start Arcanum again. I've never finished this game and it's a pretty long one. It's basically single-character as the companions are all AI controlled, so I can ignore them. I always thought the game was really spare about giving fatigue, so I grabbed an editor and gave myself an extra 20 so that I can actually finish one whole battle at a time without drinking potions. This should tide me over quite nicely until Fallout 4.

I'll have to google Mistmare and see if it looks like fun.

will try that, Savant. Thanks!

I've played Lazarus and U6P and I actually preferred U6P. Most prefer Lazarus. These were both very faithful remakes and were great if you take into account the limitations of the Dungeon Siege engine.

I've been bopping around playing tons of stuff; mostly for just a few hours each. In the last month I've played:

Ultima IV, Ultima IX, Darkstone, Nox, Serpent in the Staglands, Fallout, and Natuk. I just bought Dishonored last night, so it'll get a shot too. So far, Darkstone and Nox have gotten the bulk of the playtime.

I thought you had. I was expecting your 'my played already' list to consume a good 10 screens worth…

I tried to count one time but gave up after 300 or so titles. If I played other genres, I'd be in trouble. I only read fantasy and I only play crpgs, otherwise I'd do nothing else :D As it is, since I got a Kindle Unlimited account, I've been averaging over 10 books a month on top of all the gaming. At least I can walk on the treadmill while I read. I haven't found a good way to game and walk.

Back
Top Bottom