The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Hubby got caught in the web of Sara Noxx, so I really can't escape her stuff :). But actually, there's no need to escape as I rather like it....
Here's the lady with Colder and Colder.

woah.

For some reason I cant see you rocking out to that, Txa ='.'=

Listening to that "doom jazz" that deepO posted earlier, going to try the full mp3 dl tomorrow i think.

For some reason I cant see you rocking out to that, Txa ='.'=

As my kids said ... 'wow dad, with everything else you listen to the musicians can actually play well or there is at least a funky rhythm or some other interesting thing.'

Yeah, well, I was all of 11 in 1977, gimme a break ;)

OK, funky rhythm it is. How about this interesting tune? Really bad male vocals, so Jaz might be interested ;)

"Liquid" by Writ on Water

For me, after posting their goth song a while back, I've gotten hooked on their pop song. The video heading the left column is much better than the "official" one in the right column, IMO.

"Kim and Jessie" by M83

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is a live video. Well, let me rephrase that. Not a concert video, but they're not syncing to any version of this song I've ever heard. I've popped these folks up before so I'll repeat the warning that Michaela's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste. The unfortunate part of this vid is that Michaela "usually" does some awesome multitrack harmonies during the chorus that are sadly missing (more fodder for the "live" theory). John, the lead guitar, is an incredibly nice guy, if that actually matters to anyone.

Inside-Outside by Hinterland

Zu - Carboniferous

Not all songs deliver 100% but it´s still pretty damn awesome. In your face, 2008!!
Math rock with Zorn-ish sax and kickass at it.

So far, nothing on tube, but here´s their myspace - http://www.myspace.com/zuband

First track on here (Carbon) is from Carboniferous.

Last edited:
Other than that I'm listening to Cocteau Twins for the first time.
Excellent band. What cd(s) are you spinning? Generally, their work is divided into two eras, the earlier "Blue Bell Knoll" sound and the later "Heaven or Las Vegas" sound. The earlier one is a little more experimental. I prefer the smoother stuff of later days. Such as:
"Fotzepolitic" by Cocteau Twins

Paul Horn - Visons (1974)

Not really anything special, just a pleasant chill out jazz with a spice of funk.

Guinnebere

Dida

On a rather different note, I´m rather enjoying OM by Romanian atmospheric black metal band Negura Bunget.

Cunoasterea Tacuta
Well, this particular song is more on the experimental doom side, and pretty chillout, too :). After 2:30 mark the song starts to be really cool and never stops.

Hora Soarelui
First 30 seconds are a kinda red herring since after the initial bang there´s a great atmospheric folk song waiting!

Last edited:
Ben Shoben has a new track up at MySpace. I still like the first track a bit better, but this new one is a little more challenging to the ear, so it might be a better fit around here.

"Five Long Miles" by Ben Shoben

Did a swing around some MySpace band pages of friends I hadn't visited in a while and came across a really pretty tune from a band I hadn't listened to in quite a while. Very Sarah-sounding indiepop.

"Monica's Light" by Hope Chest

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

The last Porcupine Tree album wasn´t really all that special, but the solo effort of the mind behind the band, Steven Wilson, pretty much rulez.

Significant Other

Salvaging

Unholy levels of ass kicked.

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way ... they had a $2 MP3 sale last week, which caused me to pull out my 'Complete In A Silent Way Sessions' box and reload it on my iPod. Nice stuff, lousy box set value since most of it is published elsewhere ... but the tape hiss on the main recordings is awful!

Very pretty tune. Stick with it to the chorus (~1:45); it's a powerful payoff.

"Can't Disappear" by Pluramon

Edit-- Holy Cow!!! Started rooting around last.fm for a few faves. There's some real treasures there.

I'll begin with what might be my favorite song. Evah! Perfect pop with a dreamy touch. Obscure track from an obscure album from an obscure band. Never dreamed I'd get to share it.
"No Answer" by The Curtain Society

And another! It's even the extended version from the Winks and Kisses box set. Don't miss the chorus at ~3:20!
"In Your Room" by Airiel

Last edited:
Raymond Scott Woolson finally put up one of his better instrumentals. Figure I should share.

"Selena's Bonfire" by Raymond Scott Woolson

hey dte- its funny you posted the curtain society clip. the prior day i had just gotten ahold of the last album i didn't own for them and two other bedazzled greats.
curtain society - life is long still
siddal - mystery and the sea (ep)
an april march - adagio (ep)

an unlike the last an april march album i got for $50 i got all 3 for just under that price.

i feel like a bad person as there was a seller on ebay who was unloading dozens of bedazzled gems and other similar artists--a rare occurance. i was selfish and didn't want any more competition. my apologies, though maybe you new about the auction perhaps.

I own and treasure the first (very solid from start to finish, with tracks 4 and 8 being extra special), decided to skip the second for now (layered music like Siddal's work doesn't do as well with a 4 track and a single take), and probably wouldn't buy the third. No problem. If you got Adagio alone for under $50, you did well for yourself.

In the "funny it's you" category, I lost my copy of "It Goes Without Saying" a couple months ago. Had the case, but no cd. I just don't do that sort of thing. I was starting to get really mad about it and pointing out to Mrs dte what it was going to cost me to replace it, assuming I could find somebody selling it. I mentioned to her that one of my internet buddies was going to kick my butt for being careless with An April March. Found it in an old walkman late last week.

I haven't bought much music in a while. I just don't get much time to listen these days. I've got a 10 minute commute and home is always noisy, so there's just not much opportunity to get engulfed in new cds. I'm going to pick up honeybreath's release once I figure out how to get it, but that's pretty much it for now. I'm hoping that toneVendor picks that cd up and then I'll grab another cd or two from there when I place an order, but I couldn't say what they'll be.

Back
Top Bottom